Dad bands

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I was 10 years old in 1971. I know probably 90-95% of those songs. My personal favorites are the R&B tunes on the list: Al Green, Gladys Knight, Stevie Wonder, Cornelius Bros & Sister Rose...
:thu:
What is interesting is how much dreck there is on that list though. A lot of Osmonds, "Put Your Hand In The Hand", "Chick A Boom" and bubblegum crap like that. And Andy Williams and Perry Como were still cranking out hits with schmaltzy dreck like "Love Story" and "It's Impossible". "Watching Scotty Grow" by Bobby Goldsboro??? Helen {censored}ing Reddy doing that horrible song from "Jesus Christ Superstar"?? Gag with me a shovel.

But, still, a lot of good songs there--- but in 50-60-70 years time, after all the people who grew up with those songs are dead and gone, are there going to be any greater number of memorable songs from that year than there will be from 1951 or 1991? I doubt it.

You have to factor in the fact that AOR and FM stations were starting to take off in 71. That AM band was not as important as it was. I posted a thing a while back about the chicago music scene in the 60s. WLS was the station that could take a local band from High school gym sock hop to the national charts. All that started to change after about 70. Today its being played on clear channel ,,, that is the hit maker.

• Members
That doesn't prove your point. That's kind of a straw man argument because we can't help it if the "golden age" of rock and roll coincided with OUR youth.
:lol:

I think this is basically where dave is comming from. He was 10 years old in 1971 and had to experience the 60s through media and history, rather than actually living it playing in a band. He missed the boat on the golden age of rock. I had already gotten off the boat , by the time the 80s and 90s rolled around. I remember the songs from that era , but I could not come even close to knowing what artists did them. The teen years are important when it comes to musical tastes for sure but the golden age is still the golden age. We dont live and die by set lists.... Thats somthing that makes our band different. They tend to connect with us ,, rather than us trying to connect with them.

• Members
The teen years are important when it comes to musical tastes for sure but the golden age is still the golden age.

It isn't the golden age simply because YOU say it's the golden age. For the record, the term "Golden Age of Rock 'n Roll" has traditionally been most often associated with the late 50's.
the-golden-age-of-rock-and-roll-6.jpg

Just because some 55-65 year olds want to say the "Golden Age" is the late 60s just because that's when THEY were golden doesn't make it so.

• Members

The teen years are important when it comes to musical tastes for sure but the golden age is still the golden age.

And I'd argue that rock's golden age came in the 70s rather than the 60s despite growing up in the 90s myself. Deep Purple, Rainbow, Scorpions, Queen, Zeppelin, Van Halen, Sabbath, UFO, etc. > 60's bands >>>>>> 90s-today POPULAR bands.

• Members
It isn't the golden age simply because YOU say it's the golden age. For the record, the term "Golden Age of Rock 'n Roll" has traditionally been most often associated with the late 50's.

the-golden-age-of-rock-and-roll-6.jpg

Just because some 55-65 year olds want to say the "Golden Age" is the late 60s just because that's when THEY were golden doesn't make it so.

IIRC Homer Simpson said rock music was perfected as an art form in 1973.:)

• Members

He missed the boat on the golden age of rock.

See, this is where you keep missing my point and proving it at the same time. How did I possibly "miss" what you call the "golden age of rock"? I know all those songs. The music hasn't changed. Those songs sound EXACTLY the same now as they did then.

The only thing I DID miss is the cultural stuff SURROUNDING the music. I know ALL the songs from the Summer of Love. I've played most of them at one time or another. The only thing I DIDN'T do was fry on acid at Haight/Ashbury in 1967 while listening to them.

So all you're telling me when you say I "missed the boat" is that I missed the things that have NOTHING to do with the music and ONLY the extra-musical-cultural things that make those songs special to people who were of-a-certain-age when they were released.

So...DON'T SAY

"The teen years are important when it comes to musical tastes for sure but the golden age is still the golden age"

when the only difference between you and me is that you were a teen during that age and I wasn't.

To do so only proves my point.

• Members
IIRC Homer Simpson said rock music was perfected as an art form in 1973.
:)

I've always said I thought 1973 was the best year for rock. So once again, Homer is correct. ;)

Of course, I was 12 then and just learning to play guitar so I think that had a lot to do with how my musical tastes were formed.

• Members

No way will I defend the hit songs of 1959-1960 when I was twelve . . . . but of course that leaves me free to be more objective about my influences later on. ;)

Seriously, who is making music now that is on par with the Beatles and Stevie Wonder?

• Members

I hate these arguments, because I'd rather listen to birds fart than the Beatles. Can't stand them, don't understand their popularity. I would say that Lady Gaga makes much better music. But hey, that's my opinion. Yours is different. Neither is right. Listen to the first Beatles album. Complete bubblegum pop. Just saying.

That's why when I listen to the "music isn't as good as it used to be" crowd, I can only answer with the following. It's equally as good, it's just different. People make fun of Coldplay. I love their stuff. Muse, though not my favorite, is pretty damn compelling music.

AND, I'll say that I'm finding more and more music that's BETTER today than was every produced in the past. Go get yourself an Oz Noy CD. :wave:

• Members

Listen to the first Beatles album. Complete bubblegum pop. Just saying.

Look up the Billboard top 100 for 1963 when I first heard the Beatles. Then look at the body of work along side of the rest of the evolving music industry.

Steely Dan is my all-time favorite, but I don't care much for their early hits.

How will the current hit makers grow as artists? We'll see.

• Members

And I'd argue that rock's golden age came in the 70s rather than the 60s despite growing up in the 90s myself. Deep Purple, Rainbow, Scorpions, Queen, Zeppelin, Van Halen, Sabbath, UFO, etc. > 60's bands >>>>>> 90s-today POPULAR bands.

I chose the golden years starting in 64 because of the beatles. I was never a big beatles fan , but they were a huge game changer. They were the guys that put a rock band in all those garages in the 60s. All you have to do to prove it is to look at guitar sales figures. I can see the golden years as the beginning of rock.. but the big game changer was the beatles hitting this shore.

• Members
I hate these arguments, because I'd rather listen to birds fart than the Beatles. Can't stand them, don't understand their popularity. I would say that Lady Gaga makes much better music. But hey, that's my opinion. Yours is different. Neither is right. Listen to the first Beatles album. Complete bubblegum pop. Just saying.

That's why when I listen to the "music isn't as good as it used to be" crowd, I can only answer with the following. It's equally as good, it's just different. People make fun of Coldplay. I love their stuff. Muse, though not my favorite, is pretty damn compelling music.

AND, I'll say that I'm finding more and more music that's BETTER today than was every produced in the past. Go get yourself an Oz Noy CD.
:wave:

Every generation has their rock stars.. but I have never seen anything that generated as much buzz as the beatles in rock music. For sure not my favorite group. Its prolly one of those things you had to be there to appreciate.

• Members

There was at least as much dreck, if not more, on the AM in the years prior to 71.

Hmm AM radio was king prior to 1970. Our local FM station was just getting going good then. You grew up on FM, guys older than you grew up on AM radio. The switch was also a game changer... No static, and stereo. I started out on WLS in chicago ,, and ended up on a the home town FM station.

• Members

Sorry guys, your all wrong. The golden years were 1975 to 1977

Kiss - Alive, Destroyer, and Alive II

Rush - 2112 and All The Worlds A Stage ...

I was 9, and had just started learning to play the trumpet in elementary band.

/end of topic :D

• Members
Hmm AM radio was king prior to 1970. Our local FM station was just getting going good then. You grew up on FM, guys older than you grew up on AM radio. The switch was also a game changer... No static, and stereo. I started out on WLS in chicago ,, and ended up on a the home town FM station.

John Records Landecker? How about Beeker Street on KAAY? Little Rock, ARK?

• Members
Sorry guys, your all wrong. The golden years were 1975 to 1977

Kiss - Alive, Destroyer, and Alive II

Rush - 2112 and All The Worlds A Stage ...

I was 9, and had just started learning to play the trumpet in elementary band.

/end of topic
:D

ouch! :(

• Members

And so it has turned into yet another thread about what decade of music was "best."

If we had access to all the data, we could at least tell what maintained its popularity the best... if you had data on all music sales and radio plays from the past 50 years, you could chart it. You could take the top 100 from each year and make a graph for how well it sold and how often it was played every 5 years later, so 5, 10, 15, 20 years later, etc.

I used to work for the Camelot chain years ago (which was in a few hundred malls) and I can remember that in the 80's there were certain old CD's that we HAD to keep in stock because they still sold like mad - two that come to mind are Dark Side of the Moon and Eagles Greatest Hits.

Unfortunately kids don't buy music any more (they steal it) so the stats would probably stop meaning anything in recent years.

But ultimately any discussion about how music x is better than music y is stupid and pointless.

• Members

John Records Landecker? How about Beeker Street on KAAY? Little Rock, ARK?

I have heard of landecker ,,not sure from where. I grew up around south bend indiana so chicago wls was our power house AM radio station. Its signal covered alot of area.

• Members

And so it has turned into yet another thread about what decade of music was "best."

If we had access to all the data, we could at least tell what maintained its popularity the best... if you had data on all music sales and radio plays from the past 50 years, you could chart it. You could take the top 100 from each year and make a graph for how well it sold and how often it was played every 5 years later, so 5, 10, 15, 20 years later, etc.

I used to work for the Camelot chain years ago (which was in a few hundred malls) and I can remember that in the 80's there were certain old CD's that we HAD to keep in stock because they still sold like mad - two that come to mind are Dark Side of the Moon and Eagles Greatest Hits.

Unfortunately kids don't buy music any more (they steal it) so the stats would probably stop meaning anything in recent years.

But ultimately any discussion about how music x is better than music y is stupid and pointless.

I dont look at it as what was the best ,, I tend to more look at how it effected the market and culture. The best tends to be personal choice and when you were a teen. I agree with guido on that.

• Members

I chose the golden years starting in 64 because of the beatles. I was never a big beatles fan , but they were a huge game changer. They were the guys that put a rock band in all those garages in the 60s. All you have to do to prove it is to look at guitar sales figures. I can see the golden years as the beginning of rock.. but the big game changer was the beatles hitting this shore.

I always thought that EVH sold more guitars than the Beatles but it was all before my time. Instead I'm just going by the music on its own and the 70's had some of the best songs/albums/bands ever in every type of rock from power ballads to heavy metal to crazy prog and fusion stuff. The 60s music just doesn't have that same level of quality in my mind - maybe it's just the production but I think it's more than that.

Archived