Dad bands

• Members

I always thought that EVH sold more guitars than the Beatles but it was all before my time. Instead I'm just going by the music on its own and the 70's had some of the best songs/albums/bands ever in every type of rock from power ballads to heavy metal to crazy prog and fusion stuff. The 60s music just doesn't have that same level of quality in my mind - maybe it's just the production but I think it's more than that.

the beatles sold a ton of guitars. They also has a ton of young people to sell them to with the boomers. EVH was a game changer when it came to lead guitar. In my opinon he blew hendrix out of the water... but the beatles got the ball rolling and started the garage band revolution.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Seriously, who is making music now that is on par with the Beatles and Stevie Wonder?

No one. Because that was then and this is now. When the Beatles and Stevie were hot there were people saying "Seriously, who is making music now that is on par with Gershwin or Porter?" And the same thing was said when THOSE dudes were hot.

• Members

Hmm AM radio was king prior to 1970.

I know. But it was full of dreck prior to 1970. So your theory that after 1970 the better music moved to FM and left the dreck on the AM doesn't hold water. Pull up the top hits of 64-65-66-67-68 or 69. There will be at least as much pop dreck on the AM charts as there were in 1971.

• Members

No one. Because that was then and this is now. When the Beatles and Stevie were hot there were people saying "Seriously, who is making music now that is on par with Gershwin or Porter?" And the same thing was said when THOSE dudes were hot.

I'm happy to put Gershwin and Porter on the same pedestal as Stevie Wonder and the Beatles. They all wrote wonderful music that transcends their era.

My question still stands.

• Members

Oh, I like some of their songs too: "Hello I Love You", "Love Me Two Times", "Touch Me".

Well, at least you admit you like some of their songs. I personally think the Doors are one of the better bands of the 60s, but I agree Riders of the Storm isn't that good. Actually, I think the Doors only had two great albums, Strange Days and Waiting for the Sun. The ones that followed were weaker, as was their first one, though I had a friend who thought it was better then Strange Days.

I'm guessing you tend to know the Doors from their hits and airplay on classic rock stations, and aren't really familiar with their whole albums, especially Strange Days or Waiting for the Sun. The things about about a lot of rock of that era, was the hit songs were just the tip of the iceberg of the albums, and oftentimes not as good as some of the album cuts. This is also true of the Stones and Beatles.

Some other Doors songs I think are good are When the Music's Over, People are Strange, Spanish Caravan, My Eyes Have Seen You, Unknown Soldier, Five to One, Love Street, Peace Frog, Roadhouse Blues. Of course everyone's taste is different, so who knows if you'd like these songs.

• Members

I used to work for the Camelot chain years ago (which was in a few hundred malls) and I can remember that in the 80's there were certain old CD's that we HAD to keep in stock because they still sold like mad - two that come to mind are Dark Side of the Moon and Eagles Greatest Hits.

Ah yes. I remember Camelot. I used to work for Tower right around the time CDs were getting big. (from '87 to about '95) The entire industry exploded then and got HUGE off the ability to repackage old crap on CDs and sell it baby boomers who thought paying $15 a pop was a good deal because they loved the new "clarity" of the CD sound. That alone ended up having a lot to do with killing the record business because stores like Tower and Virgin expanded like mad thinking that gravy train would last forever. But they over-extended themselves and went bust when the CD bubble finally burst. You can only sell a Newly Remastered Expanded Bonus Track 25th Anniversary Limited Edition Box Set of Dark Side of the Moon so many times before people finally start to figure out the whole thing is a scam.

• Members

Well, at least you admit you like some of their songs. I personally think the Doors are one of the better bands of the 60s, but I agree Riders of the Storm isn't that good. Actually, I think the Doors only had two great albums, Strange Days and Waiting for the Sun. The ones that followed were weaker, as was their first one, though I had a friend who thought it was better then Strange Days.

I'm guessing you tend to know the Doors from their hits and airplay on classic rock stations, and aren't really familiar with their whole albums, especially Strange Days or Waiting for the Sun. The things about about a lot of rock of that era, was the hit songs were just the tip of the iceberg of the albums, and oftentimes not as good as some of the album cuts. This is also true of the Stones and Beatles.

Some other Doors songs I think are good are When the Music's Over, People are Strange, Spanish Caravan, My Eyes Have Seen You, Unknown Soldier, Five to One, Love Street, Peace Frog, Roadhouse Blues. Of course everyone's taste is different, so who knows if you'd like these songs.

You named Roadhouse and Peace Frog from Morrison Hotel. I always liked that album with Waiting for the Sun, You Make Me Real, and one of my favorites to play is The Spy, totally bluesy feel on that one. A very listenable album all around.

• Members

I'm happy to put Gershwin and Porter on the same pedestal as Stevie Wonder and the Beatles. They all wrote wonderful music that transcends their era.

My question still stands.

You missed the point. Those people questioning Wonder and the Beatles were happy to put artists OLDER than Gershwin and Porter that they were familiar with on the same pedestal as Gershwin and Porter as well. They had no connection the Beatles or Wonder so they didn't put them on the same pedestal. They didn't believe, at the time, that those artists would transcend their eras.

Get back to me in 20 years and we'll see who is up on that pedestal and who isn't.

• Members

I doubt there are any Doors songs I haven't heard. I don't HATE them, I just don't have any connection to them that would make me see them anything beyond what I consider is a pretty objective view. Which is a band of average-ability players writing so-so musical arrangements with a drunken-fool singer who could barely sing but looked cool and wrote poetic lyrics that connected very well to a certain audience who wasn't me.

He was kind of the Snoop Dogg of his day. Except Snoop Dogg has had the good sense to not drink himself to death.

• Members

I doubt there are any Doors songs I haven't heard. I don't HATE them, I just don't have any connection to them that would make me see them anything beyond what I consider is a pretty objective view. Which is a band of average-ability players writing so-so musical arrangements with a drunken-fool singer who could barely sing but looked cool and wrote poetic lyrics that connected very well to a certain audience who wasn't me.

He was kind of the Snoop Dogg of his day. Except Snoop Dogg has had the good sense to not drink himself to death.

hmmm the doors were the highest profile keyboard driven rock band of the 60s. I think they were a little better than average for the times.

• Members

hmmm the doors were the highest profile keyboard driven rock band of the 60s. I think they were a little better than average for the times.

If "better than average for the times" is the best excuse you have for the Doors, then perhaps "the times" weren't quite the "Golden Age" you think they were. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of rock keyboard players from the 70s and 80s and beyond that smoke Ray Manzerek.

• Members

If "better than average for the times" is the best excuse you have for the Doors, then perhaps "the times" weren't quite the "Golden Age" you think they were. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of rock keyboard players from the 70s and 80s and beyond that smoke Ray Manzerek.

dave you are like haveing a debate with a 9 year old when i was 18 ,, oh yea you were a 9 year old when i was 18 lol.

• Members

I hate these arguments, because I'd rather listen to birds fart than the Beatles. Can't stand them, don't understand their popularity.

I was going to say pretty much the same thing....altho not as colourfully!

I really dont like 99% of Beatles songs......so for someone to ask me "who today is better than the Beatles"......i'd have to say "HEAPS of bands".

• Members

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of rock keyboard players from the 70s and 80s and beyond that smoke Ray Manzerek.

Because of the many hours I have spent with The Doors studio music and the concert footage I would say first of all that Ray Manzarek has a style that doesn't match the rest of the rock players so in most cases you would be comparing apples to a very unique orange. He blended his cabaret style with jazz fusion. He's not playing soulful B-3 or southern rockabilly, or even the bland but busy classical rock styles of Wakeman or Emerson. What you will find with Manzarek is endless creativity. I still marvel at Light My Fire because he comes up with fifty different ways to play a two measure phrase.

• Members

I think the early to mid 80's had it's own little "boom" with the Bay Area Thrash bands that were arriving on the scene. Anthrax, Metallica etc etc

Those bands kicked off a HUGE wave in heavy music and their influences were mostly in the NWOBHM bands that came before them. Those bands also inspired MILLIONS of kids to pick up a guitar etc.

Plus - i like them MUCH more then the Beatles. ;)

• Members
Because of the many hours I have spent with The Doors studio music and the concert footage I would say first of all that Ray Manzarek has a style that doesn't match the rest of the rock players so in most cases you would be comparing apples to a very unique orange. He blended his cabaret style with jazz fusion. He's not playing soulful B-3 or southern rockabilly, or even the bland but busy classical rock styles of Wakeman or Emerson. What you will find with Manzarek is endless creativity. I still marvel at Light My Fire because he comes up with fifty different ways to play a two measure phrase.

yep, those keyboardists more than likely wouldn't have come up with the magical parts the really defined the Doors.

• Members

To each his own. All I've ever really gotten out of the Doors was a drugged-out-hippie vibe. Interesting you call it his "cabaret style". It always just sounded like carousel music to me. The best place to listen to the solo on "Light My Fire" would be to be really, really stoned while riding a horse on a carousel at the county fair. Like one of those tripped-out middle sections in a 70s B-movie.

• Members
To each his own. All I've ever really gotten out of the Doors was a drugged-out-hippie vibe. Interesting you call it his "cabaret style". It always just sounded like carousel music to me. The best place to listen to the solo on "Light My Fire" would be to be really, really stoned while riding a horse on a carousel at the county fair. Like one of those tripped-out middle sections in a 70s B-movie.

never been remotely stoned in my life but I find the weaving of the keys and rhythm guitar parts in Riders on the Storm to be amazing stuff.

• Members

That is interesting ,,, i grew up in that era and the doors never really registered with me as hard core stoner music. I looked at it as more pop even though the lead singer fried out early. the doors didnt really have that acid edge that I hear in some of the other died too young from drugs bands and acid rock bands. The 60s brought the drug culture ,, but the 70s is where it became pretty main stream across the country. It started out in CA ,, it took a few years to really work its way across the country.

Archived