Dad bands

• Members
LOL.
Yet another person naming the era when THEY were young as THE superior era for music. How many times are people going to keep proving my point in this thread?
I'm not as old as you. I love music from the 60s. But I love the 50s, 70s and 80s just as much. Actually, I probably like all those decades MORE than I do music from the 60s. So which decade was the best?

That doesn't prove your point. That's kind of a straw man argument because we can't help it if the "golden age" of rock and roll coincided with OUR youth. :lol:

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You say 'audience first' is just one part of the equation, and yet you say popularity wins. You say set list isn't the whole thing, but all things being equal, the dance band wins? It is not hard to see the conflict, here.

Because you're leaving out a LOT of what I've said. I've explained my position already. If you like, I'll go back and cut and paste what I've already said for you.

• Members

The pony cars torched the mid 60's Impalas, Chevelles, Tempests, etc, then the rounder '70 Camaro and later Firebirds torched the earlier pony cars. My buddy bought a '66 Impala for $300 in 1975. My dad had a couple of early 60's Caprice convertibles in turquoise that were just stunning cars but seemed like horseless carriages when he got his '65 Mustang. I bought a 1968 Mustang in 1979 for $300, and picked up a 1967 Rally Sport Camaro Convertible for $600 in 1980.

Yeah. Whoever came up with the classic car analogy hit it pretty spot on. I think many people have this idea that cars like the Mustang were loved when they came out and continued to be highly valued and revered continuously. They weren't. There was a period when they were 10-15 years old when they were just old cars that weren't even worth the money it would take to keep them running. It wasn't until they got older that they became "classics".

Pop songs tend to be the same way.

• Members

This is really the crux of the whole matter.

The reason why music from our youth sounds "better" to us is that we associate it with the emotional experiences we were having at the time. For most people, they have their first really intense, adult (or adolescent) emotional experiences during the ages of about 15-25, i.e. as teens and young adults. Even if we have strong emotional experiences later (marriage, children, etc) it can't match the impact of the first time we felt emotions on that level.

So the point is, we enjoy music not only for its own intrinsic qualities, but for the way it provides a direct, emotional connection for days gone by.

For those who were alive in the 60s, there's no question that our society and our culture was undergoing a huge upheaval, the shockwaves of which are still being felt today. It was incredibly powerful to me, second-hand as a small child (circa 1967-74) and I can only imagine what it must have felt like to a young adult.

So it's no surprise, then, that the music that we associate with that exceptional time has exceptional levels of emotional resonance. It doesn't really matter whether a song like "Satisfaction" is inherently better than "Don't You Want Me Baby" because "Satisfaction", for the people who lived through that time period, has this huge accumulation of cultural baggage that makes the actual song almost irrelevant. (I said almost.)

Add to that the fact that the 60s represented at time when the dominant forms of pop music were undergoing a period of intense experimentation, which brings in the factor of "This is the first time they did this". First fuzz tone. Widespread use of studio techniques. First electric power trios. First Marshall amps. All that adds another level of importance/relevance to the music for those who heard it "in order".

I'm not really expecting to change anybody's mind, and I don't think this supports anybody's contention that the music from any particular period was inherently "better" than the rest (except the Beatles and Coltrane
:D
) but I just wanted to throw out some food for thought, since this topic is apparently far from dead.

Yup, and since the 60's music has no emotional connection with me (born in 69) I find it boring as {censored}. If people weren't so high at the time, half the music wouldn't have flown. Late 80's hair metal was cheesy, but we knew it was cheesy and didn't read too much into it. I'd still rather play Unskinny Bop, over anything from the 60's.

But alas, we play to older people with money (45+ in age) and they eat that 70's {censored} up with a spoon and a smile.

But the important part, is the price is always right, and I have fun spoon feeding them their dreck.

;)

:thu:

• Members

We've talked about songs that other artists from other eras and genres want to cover. It would be interesting to see major acts from each era draw songs out of a hat and see what they could do outside their comfort zone. Might tell you about the bands, the songs, and other "intangibles" that some of us consider really important . . . or not.

• Members

Well this thread has really diverted from the OP initial post. My comments:

First the OP initial post was disparaging. He mocked and ridiculed not only their age by calling them a DAD BAND and what they were playing, but also had to gratuitously mention how they looked personally and how they dressed and did not mention their talent. So for him to come back in later posts with the "Where did I say they........" response to his obvious attacks is complete bull.

All he had to say was why don't older bands play current music? Of course there's a pretty obvious and logical reason why and actually clearly dumb to even have to ask. Certainly not worth creating a thread over so he had to just make a bunch of disparaging remarks for no apparent reason other than to share his personal dislikes with all here.

So in his shallow little world acts and artists from the 50's, 60's and 70's that are still touring and playing exactly what they played in their heyday to appreciative crowds should be playing more current stuff. And of course it is also relevant in his little mind to note also that these guys now have grey hair, thinning hair and in some cases no hair. All very relevant you know but of course he wasn't being disparaging.

Here's why pal: It's because they are a COVER BAND and cover bands cover certain types of music. Yes some want to be the great everymen who cover 50 years of music but most are specific to one or two or possibly three decades. So you happened to see a cover band covering a specific period/era. WOW. What a revelation! But great genius that you are you use that simple event to somehow ignore the OBVIOUS and show and share your profound ignorance by stating why doesn't a 60's act play current music.

I work and live in a region where acts performing music from the 50's through 70's are plentiful, talented, consistently booked and decently paid. I know there are plenty of other regions throughout this country where that is also true. So other than to take cheap shots at older players still out there gigging your thread had no other purpose. So your false attempts to hide the obvious are really laughable.

• Members

We've talked about songs that other artists from other eras and genres want to cover. It would be interesting to see major acts from each era draw songs out of a hat and see what they could do outside their comfort zone. Might tell you about the bands, the songs, and other "intangibles" that some of us consider really important . . . or not.

It seems to me that most "major acts" get around to covering oddball songs at some point in their career. Whether out of boredom, or to try and prove a point, or because they want to acknowledge THEIR own personal "golden age" or whatever.

Drawing them out of a hat though? Sounds like it might be a good idea for a reality TV show maybe.

• Members

It seems to me that most "major acts" get around to covering oddball songs at some point in their career. Whether out of boredom, or to try and prove a point, or because they want to acknowledge THEIR own personal "golden age" or whatever.

Drawing them out of a hat though? Sounds like it might be a good idea for a reality TV show maybe.

That was exactly the point. My daughter's a dancer, so I watch "So You Think You Can Dance". The deal here is that you don't get to pick the styles you have a week to work on. The really talented ones can learn all kinds of moves, but a lot of the kids who may be really talented at one thing get busted when their lack of training and talent is revealed.

I've talked about songs that others want to cover, but what would happen if you had to cover something that you've never dealt with before? . . . and I'm talking about both working stiffs and "rockstars" who might not look so good outside their "roots" genre.

That assumes that versatility is recognized as having value. Maybe; maybe not. But I think it would unquestionably reveal some of the limited genres for what they are if others can cover it, but the originators are lost when they step outside.

Yeah, I know. They'll do it THEIR way, but it does give you more of a basis for some objective analysis.

• Members

Forget about the 40 years comparison. Take a look at the top 100 hits of a year like say...1971 or 1972. Compare that to a top 100 hits of any of the past 5 years. Tell me how, relatively speaking, you think the recent hits will hold up.

Joy to the World, Three Dog Night

2. Maggie May/Find a Reason to Believe, Rod Stewart
It's Too Late/I Feel the Earth Move, Carole King
4. One Bad Apple, Osmonds

How Can You Mend a Broken Heart?, Bee Gees
6. Indian Reservation, Raiders

7. Go Away Little Girl, Donny Osmond

8. Take Me Home, Country Roads, John Denver

Just My Imagination
(Running Away With Me), Temptations

Knock Three Times, Dawn

Me and Bobby McGee, Janis Joplin

12. Tired of Being Alone, Al Green

13. Want Ads, Honey Cone

14. Smiling Faces Sometimes, Undisputed Truth

15. Treat Her Like a Lady, Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose

You've Got a Friend, James Taylor

17. Mr. Big Stuff, Jean Knight

Brown Sugar, Rolling Stones

Do You Know What I Mean, Lee Michaels

20. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, Joan Baez

What's Going On, Marvin Gaye

22. Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey, Paul McCartney

Ain't No Sunshine, Bill Withers

24. Signs, Five Man Electrical Band

She's a Lady, Tom Jones

26. Superstar, Murray Head and The Trinidad Singers

27. I Found Someone Of My Own, Free Movement

28. Amos Moses, Jerry Reed

Temptation Eyes, The Grass Roots

30. Superstar, Carpenters

My Sweet Lord / Isn't It a Pity, George Harrison

32. Sweet and Innocent, Donny Osmond

33. Put Your Hand In the Hand, Ocean

34. Chick-A-Boom, Daddy Dewdrop

35. For All We Know, Carpenters

36. Help Me Make It Through the Night, Sammi Smith

37. Rainy Days and Mondays, Carpenters

38. If You Could Read My Mind, Gordon Lightfoot

39. Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves, Cher

40. Never Can Say Goodbye, Jackson 5

41. Rose Garden, Lynn Anderson

42. Don't Pull Your Love, Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds

It Don't Come Easy, Ringo Starr

44. Mr. Bojangles, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

45. I Love You for All Seasons, Fuzz

46. Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get, Dramatics

47. That's the Way I've Always Heard It Should Be, Carly Simon

48. If You Really Love Me, Stevie Wonder

49. Spanish Harlem, Aretha Franklin

I Don't Know How to Love Him, Helen Reddy

51. Yo-Yo, Osmonds

Bridge Over Troubled Water, Aretha Franklin

53. Doesn't Somebody Want to Be Wanted, Partridge Family

54. Draggin' the Line, Tommy James

Proud Mary, Ike and Tina Turner

Beginnings/Color My World, Chicago

57. Stay Awhile, Bells

Sweet City Woman, Stampeders

59. Me and You and a Dog Named Boo, Lobo

60. Another Day/Oh Woman, Oh Why, Paul McCartney

If, Bread
62. Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology), Marvin Gaye

63. One Toke Over the Line, Brewer and Shipley

64. She's Not Just Another Woman, 8th Day

65. Bring the Boys Home, Freda Payne

I Just Want to Celebrate, Rare Earth

67. Never Ending Song of Love, Delaney and Bonnie and Friends

68. Easy Loving, Freddy Hart

69. Liar, Three Dog Night

70. Stick-up, Honey Cone

71. Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep, Mac and Katie Kissoon

72. (Where Do I Begin) Love Story, Andy Williams

Wild World, Cat Stevens

74. When You're Hot, You're Hot, Jerry Reed

75. Funky Nassau, Beginning Of The End

76. If Not for You, Olivia Newton-John

77. Groove Me, King Floyd

78. Watching Scotty Grow, Bobby Goldsboro

79. Woodstock, Matthews' Southern Comfort

80. Amazing Grace, Judy Collins

81. I Hear You Knocking, Dave Edmunds

82. Lonely Days, Bee Gees

83. Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling Again, Fortunes

Won't Get Fooled Again, Who

85. Trapped By a Thing Called Love, Denise Lasalle

86. Mama's Pearl, Jackson 5

87. Timothy, Buoys

88. I Woke Up In Love This Morning, Partridge Family

89. Theme from "Shaft", Isaac Hayes

90. If I Were Your Woman, Gladys Knight and The Pips

91. I Am... I Said, Neil Diamond

92. Wedding Song (There Is Love), Paul Stookey

93. Don't Knock My Love, Pt. 1, Wilson Pickett

Love Her Madly, The Doors

95. Here Comes the Sun, Richie Havens

96. Sweet Mary, Wadsworth Mansion

97. Right On the Tip of My Tongue, Brenda and The Tabulations

98. One Less Bell to Answer, Fifth Dimension

Riders On the Storm, The Doors

100. It's Impossible, Perry Como

You can argue with some of the songs I emboldened, sure. But you could argue that some of the songs I didn't embolden should have been. And I recognize that my prejudices are at play here too (I'm 57). But I don't see how it can be argued that as many of the top 100 hits of say 2008 will still be playing regularly on the radio fourty years from now (assuming as if all things would be equal as far as media is concerned) as there is from just that one year of "back in the day" Look at some other years too. I just picked 1971 because it was my junior to senior years in high school.

Few of those bolded songs are dance-oriented, which is what pop music has increasingly become. This really is an apples to oranges comparison. Riders on the Storm isn't danceable. But that's fine, because that wasn't the goal. And vice versa. Of course people in bands are going to be drawn to the more traditional musicianship and songwriting of that era.

• Members

I've talked about songs that others want to cover, but what would happen if you had to cover something that you've never dealt with before? . . . and I'm talking about both working stiffs and "rockstars" who might not look so good outside their "roots" genre.

That assumes that versatility is recognized as having value. Maybe; maybe not. But I think it would unquestionably reveal some of the limited genres for what they are if others can cover it, but the originators are lost when they step outside.

Yeah, I know. They'll do it THEIR way, but it does give you more of a basis for some objective analysis.

Perhaps. I suppose it would expose limitations on both ends. If a country band can't find anything good to do with a Clash song, would that be seen as a limitation of that band or of that song/genre?

Unless you're getting into some really esoteric stuff, most pop music--be it rock, country, R&B, punk, heavy metal or even most jazz---is blues-based 4/4 music at it's core. And the more simplistic the song, the easier it is to translate into various genres. There are probably far more successful ways to play "Respect" than there are "Deacon Blues". Does that make either the better song? What does it say about a heavy metal band who either could or couldn't do much of anything with either song? It might be an entertaining exercise to watch and/or participate in, but I'm not sure what the results would actually tell us about anything.

One of things I enjoy about the current band I play with is we offer special requests as part of our gig package. This most often means cheezy ballads for weddings, but the songs we get thrown at us have run the gamut from traditional Irish folk tunes to jazz standards to Metallica songs. We have to learn 3 modern country ballads for a wedding this Saturday. So the challenge is (usually) fun. But we aren't exactly all seasoned session musicians who can sight read off a chart either. It often pushes our limits but hopefully in a good way. I can't imagine we are anything but BETTER musicians at the end of it all. We've yet to find a song we COULDN'T successfully play.

• Members

Riders on the Storm isn't danceable.

It's also one of the worst {censored}ing songs of all-time. If it wasn't a Doors song, it would probably be right up there with "Timothy" by the Buoys. In fact, I personally think The Doors represent the very worst of the 1960's: a band of average-to-poor players with a singer who couldn't really sing his way out of a paper bag, but he had a ton of charisma even though it was mostly based around the drug-culture. The only time I really enjoy listening to any songs by the Doors is when I'm really {censored}ed up. Otherwise, they have zero appeal to me.

Anyone who loves The Doors but is baffled by the appeal of Gangsta Rap (or vice versa) is someone is so caught up in their own cultural connections to the music that they can't see the forest for the trees.

There. I said it. Flame on.

I DO like THIS version though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNLz7rxLlJ4

• Members

It's also one of the worst {censored}ing songs of all-time. If it wasn't a Doors song, it would probably be right up there with "Timothy" by the Buoys. In fact, I personally think The Doors represent the very worst of the 1960's: a band of average-to-poor players with a singer who couldn't really sing his way out of a paper bag, but he had a ton of charisma even though it was mostly based around the drug-culture. The only time I really enjoy listening to any songs by the Doors is when I'm really {censored}ed up. Otherwise, they have zero appeal to me.

Ha ha ha. I agree 100% about the Doors, and have heard that apparently to the hipsters of their day, they were disdained as the "corporate sell-out" acid rock band of the day.

But be that as it may, I still have a soft spot in my heart for a handful of their songs, including "Riders on the Storm" (must be my age?).

• Members
Because you're leaving out a LOT of what I've said. I've explained my position already. If you like, I'll go back and cut and paste what I've already said for you.

C'mon man....you think I can't read? No need to condescend. We've had many good discussions around here. I'm not stupid....well.....don't ask my wife.

You explained yourself, but it doesn't add up. Your conclusions don't fit with your reasons. In many posts around here you have come down HARD on anyone who tries to do anything that they like. It's always 'audience first' as your REASONING; your position. If your gonna do it for yourself, stay in the basement. Here, you cut slack....why? I'm pointing out that your reasoning, while well thought out and sensible, comes up with conflicted conclusions. Having a hard time seeing that?

And I agree that there is no need to re hash the reasons for your statements...I read them....just tell my why they do or do not conflict....which for some reason you aren't willing to do. Your reasons don't deal with the fact that their conclusions and p.o.v. CONFLICT with each other....

It's like someone who makes it a point to let everyone know that they always keep a tidy house for these reasons. Then when a friend comes over and there is a messy room and the friend says "I thought you kept a tidy house." the tidy guy responds with the reasons he keeps a tidy house.....:confused:

• Members

But be that as it may, I still have a soft spot in my heart for a handful of their songs, including "Riders on the Storm" (must be my age?).

Oh, I like some of their songs too: "Hello I Love You", "Love Me Two Times", "Touch Me". But most usually when I'm {censored}ed up. I like them in the same way I like "Gin and Juice" by Snoop Dogg. They make me want to slam down a couple of shots and get on stage and act like an idiot. The older I get the more I try to avoid those impulses, though.

• Members

And I agree that there is no need to re hash the reasons for your statements...I read them....just tell my why they do or do not conflict....which for some reason you aren't willing to do. Your reasons don't deal with the fact that their conclusions and p.o.v. CONFLICT with each other....

What you have said is that my statement that "for a GREAT band songlist is secondary" conflicts with my statements about putting "audience first" and "the band that plays the most dancable songs wins". (Actually I think that's how you worded that last statement. I'm not sure what my original wording was.)

None of these statements contradict or conflict for these reasons:

1) you left out the parts where I talked about how most bands AREN'T great. So yes, all other things being equal like, say, two middling bands battling it out on the danceclub circuit, the setlist with the most dancable and recognizable songs would win.

2) there are many ways to put "audience first" besides just in song choice. I've probably posted about how it isn't about the song choice, it's about how the band SELLS the song that is important at least 100 times in this forum. I know I post way too much around here and most of what I post probably (rightfully) gets ignored, but I'm surprised you've missed those comments.

• Members

Forget about the 40 years comparison. Take a look at the top 100 hits of a year like say...1971 or 1972. Compare that to a top 100 hits of any of the past 5 years. Tell me how, relatively speaking, you think the recent hits will hold up.

Joy to the World, Three Dog Night

2. Maggie May/Find a Reason to Believe, Rod Stewart
It's Too Late/I Feel the Earth Move, Carole King
4. One Bad Apple, Osmonds

How Can You Mend a Broken Heart?, Bee Gees
6. Indian Reservation, Raiders

7. Go Away Little Girl, Donny Osmond

8. Take Me Home, Country Roads, John Denver

Just My Imagination
(Running Away With Me), Temptations

Knock Three Times, Dawn

Me and Bobby McGee, Janis Joplin

12. Tired of Being Alone, Al Green

13. Want Ads, Honey Cone

14. Smiling Faces Sometimes, Undisputed Truth

15. Treat Her Like a Lady, Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose

You've Got a Friend, James Taylor

17. Mr. Big Stuff, Jean Knight

Brown Sugar, Rolling Stones

Do You Know What I Mean, Lee Michaels

20. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, Joan Baez

What's Going On, Marvin Gaye

22. Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey, Paul McCartney

Ain't No Sunshine, Bill Withers

24. Signs, Five Man Electrical Band

She's a Lady, Tom Jones

26. Superstar, Murray Head and The Trinidad Singers

27. I Found Someone Of My Own, Free Movement

28. Amos Moses, Jerry Reed

Temptation Eyes, The Grass Roots

30. Superstar, Carpenters

My Sweet Lord / Isn't It a Pity, George Harrison

32. Sweet and Innocent, Donny Osmond

33. Put Your Hand In the Hand, Ocean

34. Chick-A-Boom, Daddy Dewdrop

35. For All We Know, Carpenters

36. Help Me Make It Through the Night, Sammi Smith

37. Rainy Days and Mondays, Carpenters

38. If You Could Read My Mind, Gordon Lightfoot

39. Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves, Cher

40. Never Can Say Goodbye, Jackson 5

41. Rose Garden, Lynn Anderson

42. Don't Pull Your Love, Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds

It Don't Come Easy, Ringo Starr

44. Mr. Bojangles, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

45. I Love You for All Seasons, Fuzz

46. Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get, Dramatics

47. That's the Way I've Always Heard It Should Be, Carly Simon

48. If You Really Love Me, Stevie Wonder

49. Spanish Harlem, Aretha Franklin

I Don't Know How to Love Him, Helen Reddy

51. Yo-Yo, Osmonds

Bridge Over Troubled Water, Aretha Franklin

53. Doesn't Somebody Want to Be Wanted, Partridge Family

54. Draggin' the Line, Tommy James

Proud Mary, Ike and Tina Turner

Beginnings/Color My World, Chicago

57. Stay Awhile, Bells

Sweet City Woman, Stampeders

59. Me and You and a Dog Named Boo, Lobo

60. Another Day/Oh Woman, Oh Why, Paul McCartney

If, Bread
62. Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology), Marvin Gaye

63. One Toke Over the Line, Brewer and Shipley

64. She's Not Just Another Woman, 8th Day

65. Bring the Boys Home, Freda Payne

I Just Want to Celebrate, Rare Earth

67. Never Ending Song of Love, Delaney and Bonnie and Friends

68. Easy Loving, Freddy Hart

69. Liar, Three Dog Night

70. Stick-up, Honey Cone

71. Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep, Mac and Katie Kissoon

72. (Where Do I Begin) Love Story, Andy Williams

Wild World, Cat Stevens

74. When You're Hot, You're Hot, Jerry Reed

75. Funky Nassau, Beginning Of The End

76. If Not for You, Olivia Newton-John

77. Groove Me, King Floyd

78. Watching Scotty Grow, Bobby Goldsboro

79. Woodstock, Matthews' Southern Comfort

80. Amazing Grace, Judy Collins

81. I Hear You Knocking, Dave Edmunds

82. Lonely Days, Bee Gees

83. Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling Again, Fortunes

Won't Get Fooled Again, Who

85. Trapped By a Thing Called Love, Denise Lasalle

86. Mama's Pearl, Jackson 5

87. Timothy, Buoys

88. I Woke Up In Love This Morning, Partridge Family

89. Theme from "Shaft", Isaac Hayes

90. If I Were Your Woman, Gladys Knight and The Pips

91. I Am... I Said, Neil Diamond

92. Wedding Song (There Is Love), Paul Stookey

93. Don't Knock My Love, Pt. 1, Wilson Pickett

Love Her Madly, The Doors

95. Here Comes the Sun, Richie Havens

96. Sweet Mary, Wadsworth Mansion

97. Right On the Tip of My Tongue, Brenda and The Tabulations

98. One Less Bell to Answer, Fifth Dimension

Riders On the Storm, The Doors

100. It's Impossible, Perry Como

You can argue with some of the songs I emboldened, sure. But you could argue that some of the songs I didn't embolden should have been. And I recognize that my prejudices are at play here too (I'm 57). But I don't see how it can be argued that as many of the top 100 hits of say 2008 will still be playing regularly on the radio fourty years from now (assuming as if all things would be equal as far as media is concerned) as there is from just that one year of "back in the day" Look at some other years too. I just picked 1971 because it was my junior to senior years in high school.

Not being from that era, I recognize 10 songs from that list. Again, because of no emotional ties, 90% of the songs are considered unknown to me.

Not quite the goldmine of a year, but 10% is still respectable.

• Members

Jeebus, lot of stuff to read here. Thankfully most of it is by regulars who always say the same thing so it's easy to skim :)

:confused:
Did I say they shouldn't be out there? Or "LOL look at the old people on stage"?

They can do whatever they want. But they also COULD play some newer stuff. I mean, it's allowed. I was wondering if there was anything interesting behind that kind of decision, but apparently everyone thinks the reason was "They didn't feel like it."

So, nothing to see here, I guess.

How would a bunch of random people on the internet have any idea what motivates some band that you saw? :facepalm:

• Members
Not quite the goldmine of a year, but 10% is still respectable.

I was 10 years old in 1971. I know probably 90-95% of those songs. My personal favorites are the R&B tunes on the list: Al Green, Gladys Knight, Stevie Wonder, Cornelius Bros & Sister Rose... :thu: What is interesting is how much dreck there is on that list though. A lot of Osmonds, "Put Your Hand In The Hand", "Chick A Boom" and bubblegum crap like that. And Andy Williams and Perry Como were still cranking out hits with schmaltzy dreck like "Love Story" and "It's Impossible". "Watching Scotty Grow" by Bobby Goldsboro??? Helen {censored}ing Reddy doing that horrible song from "Jesus Christ Superstar"?? Gag with me a shovel.

But, still, a lot of good songs there--- but in 50-60-70 years time, after all the people who grew up with those songs are dead and gone, are there going to be any greater number of memorable songs from that year than there will be from 1951 or 1991? I doubt it.

Archived