Dad bands

• Members

Maybe it's just me, but that stuff seems worse in every way than any list from 20+ years ago.

That was only 8 years ago. Give it another 10-15 years for people of your age to go from hating that stuff to remembering it fondly. Trust me, no one was bolding "Knock Three Times" by Tony Orlando & Dawn or "Joy To The World" as a classic in 1979. In 1989 there wasn't a band anywhere in America who would have been caught dead playing "Jessie's Girl" on stage.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ive been in multiple "dad" bands...since I became a dad...I am 46, play with others in the same age range
We do it all...beatles, tom petty, u2, foo fighters, 3 doors down, kickleback, zeppelin...
We havent added a classic rock song in a long time...if anything, we DELETE classic rock songs from our set list to incoorporate newer stuff, depending on the audience...some bars, foo fighters, u2, seether, dont go over too well...

• Members

You are sort of missing a point because I happened to pick 1971. My bad. It wasn't a calculated pick. It's a coincidence that that was when I was in high school. Pick the top 100 from any year from 1966 thru 1975 or so and my theory/point...whatever you want to call it still holds up in my opinion.

As far as what the youth of today will be listening too in 2051. Who knows. But I think they need to pray for a renaissance between now and then!! LOL I can tell you that my four children/step children listen to music from before about 1985 just as much if not more then they listen to post 1985 music. They're 26
youngest to 29 oldest.

• Members

Pick the top 100 from any year from 1966 thru 1975 or so and my theory/point...whatever you want to call it still holds up in my opinion.

Actually I would say that any 57 year old using that year-range supports MY point. Funny how the cut-off year for "good" music is about 1975 or so for you, but runs all the way up to about 1990 for TroyGuitar.

As far as what the youth of today will be listening too in 2051. Who knows. But I think they need to pray for a renaissance between now and then!! LOL I can tell you that my four children/step children listen to music from before about 1985 just as much if not more then they listen to post 1985 music. They're 26

youngest to 29 oldest.

That's great. And I love a lot of stuff from the 40s and 50s and did when I was 26 to 29 also. So what? Does that mean that older stuff is better than the more recent stuff I was listening to at that age or the stuff out now?

No. It just means there will ALWAYS be songs from any year or era that stand that test of time while the majority of the Top Hits from those eras are forgotten. 2011 will have its "Maggie May"s and "Joy To The World"s just like it will also have its "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves" and "YoYo"s.

• Members

Actually I would say that any 57 year old using that year-range supports MY point. Funny how the cut-off year for "good" music is about 1975 or so for you, but runs all the way up to about 1990 for TroyGuitar.

That's great. And I love a lot of stuff from the 40s and 50s and did when I was 26 to 29 also. So what? Does that mean that older stuff is better than the more recent stuff I was listening to at that age or the stuff out now?

No. It just means there will ALWAYS be songs from any year or era that stand that test of time while the majority of the Top Hits from those eras are forgotten.
2011 will have its "Maggie May"s and "Joy To The World"s just like it will also have its "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves" and "YoYo"s

I agree. No way anyone could argue that point.....but not near as many of them.

• Members

I agree. No way anyone could argue that point.....but not near as many of them.

Well, only time will tell and like you said, we won't be around to find out.

But time and experience have taught me a few things:

1) people love stuff from when they were young: music, TV shows, movies, games, clothing, lunch boxes. Nostalgia is a POWERFUL motivator.

2) many people are always convinced THEIR nostaligic era was objectively better than anyone elses.

3) nostalgia only comes to realization after a few years of people being sick of that period of time first. Things from 5-15 years ago, people don't like much. After 15 years, they start to have a new "appreciation" for the "classics".

I've yet to see, or know of, a generation that didn't experience this.

• Members

Well, only time will tell and like you said, we won't be around to find out.

But time and experience have taught me a few things:

1) people love stuff from when they were young: music, TV shows, movies, games, clothing, lunch boxes. Nostalgia is a POWERFUL motifator.

2) many people are always convinced THEIR nostaligic era was objectively better than anyone elses.

3) nostalgia only comes to realization after a few years of people being sick of that period of time first. Things from 5-15 years ago, people don't like much. After 15 years, they start to have a new "appreciation" for the "classics".

I've yet to see, or know of, a generation that didn't experience this.

I dunno, I think there is more than nostalgia going on there. In the late 60s there was a huge revolution in music that was riding a crest of anti-authority activism. Seemed like a real sea-change that was bigger than the music itself. Have never seen anything like it since.

• Members

I dunno, I think there is more than nostalgia going on there. In the late 60s there was a huge revolution in music that was riding a crest of anti-authority activism. Seemed like a real sea-change that was bigger than the music itself. Have never seen anything like it since.

Yeah, but who really cares about that except the people who lived through it or history buffs? There's always a bit of fascination some younger people have with older eras---but that doesn't really change either. I remember in the 80s a LOT of kids thought the 60s was cool. (20 years earlier....go figure). I remember the first time, in the late 80s I met a young (about 15) girl who was just fascinated that I had lived through the 70s. She thought the 70s were just the coolest time EVER. I remember being aghast because, up until then, we all pretty much thought the 70s, with all the bad hair and fashion and gas lines and Vietnam, was like the biggest joke and WORST time period we could possibly think of.

It was about two years later that disco became cool again and there started to be big money for bands willing to put on 70s clothes and wigs and play KC and the Sunshine Band songs. But had any band tried to that around '87 or earlier? They'd have been laughed out of town.

• Members

Yah, true...I'm just thinking that when people hear songs from the 60s and 70s they are thinking about more stuff than their nostalgic high school romps.

Of course this is all speculation on my part as I am waaay younger than that!!!;)

• Members

Yah, true...I'm just thinking that when people hear songs from the 60s and 70s they are thinking about more stuff than their nostalgic high school romps.

Probably. But I'm not sure how plays into any apprecation for that music that anyone YOUNGER might have. Or how it might make that music objectively superior to any other.

I'm sure a lot people listen to Big Band music from the 40s and are reminded of their experiences during WWII. And I'm sure that's a very cool and deeper connection than what I may have to songs from MY youth. But does that make "Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree" an objectively better song than "Just What I Needed"?

• Members

ya know it is going to take longer than I care to think about before any of us knows how this will shake out, but I just can't believe that the {censored} music this last decade and what appears to be what we can look forward to in this next one 2011, 2012 etc. will compare with the number of quality music in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s

• Members

I tend to agree with you. 1964 to 1970 were the golden years of rock and roll, its going to be pretty hard to catch that lightning in a bottle again. off the 2003 hit list #23 is one we do.

• Members

ya know it is going to take longer than I care to think about before any of us knows how this will shake out, but I just can't believe that the {censored} music this last decade and what appears to be what we can look forward to in this next one 2011, 2012 etc. will compare with the number of quality music in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s

If I hadn't already heard that exact same sentence uttered by somebody (probably around the age you are now) about music from each of those decades you mentioned, I might agree with you.

"The old music was great; today's music is {censored}" has probably been going on since at least back when Mozart's dad first said it.

• Members

I tend to agree with you. 1964 to 1970 were the golden years of rock and roll, its going to be pretty hard to catch that lightning in a bottle again.

LOL. Yet another person naming the era when THEY were young as THE superior era for music. How many times are people going to keep proving my point in this thread?

I'm not as old as you. I love music from the 60s. But I love the 50s, 70s and 80s just as much. Actually, I probably like all those decades MORE than I do music from the 60s. So which decade was the best?

• Members

If I hadn't already heard that exact same sentence uttered by somebody (probably around the age you are now) about music from each of those decades you mentioned, I might agree with you.

"The old music was great; today's music is {censored}" has probably been going on since at least back when Mozart's dad first said it.

Well, I'm just impressed with the fact that you were able to roll that Glenn Miller tune off the top of your head.

• Members
LOL. Yet another person naming the era when THEY were young as THE superior era for music. How many times are people going to keep proving my point in this thread?

I'm not as old as you. I love music from the 60s. But I love the 50s, 70s and 80s just as much. Actually, I probably like all those decades MORE than I do music from the 60s. So which decade was the best?

My teenage and party years were 70s, 80s, but I also liked 60s and 90s. I just can't sync with the last decade of stuff (maybe its the rap and hip hop, I don't know...maybe the lesser role the guitar plays in the newest stuff, I don't know...I just know I don't like it). But I will play it if the setlist calls for it.:facepalm:

• Members

With out the beatles hitting these shores in 1964 and the garage band revolution ,, this msg board would not exist. I cut off the golden era at 1970 with the death of hendrix. Lots of good music followed and preceeded this , but guy just because you were too young for it ,,, those were the golden years of rock. woodstock was the peak.

• Members
My teenage and party years were 70s, 80s, but I also liked 60s and 90s. I just can't sync with the last decade of stuff (maybe its the rap and hip hop, I don't know...maybe the lesser role the guitar plays in the newest stuff, I don't know...I just know I don't like it). But I will play it if the setlist calls for it.
:facepalm:

Music is something you have to build a personal connection with. I stopped paying attention to current music around 1995 and didn't pay much attention until about a year or two ago when we started covering modern songs. Consequently there is virtually nothing between those years I care much for personally. But I like a lot of the current stuff we play because it's fun to do and we get great responses with it. I have a pretty good suspicion I'll have just-as-fond memories of songs like "Dynamite" 20 years from now (if I'm still kicking, God willing) as I have today of stuff like "My Sharona" or "Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)" or whatever other old songs that aren't really that great except for the fact that I have a personal connection to them.

• Members

I'll take this on. MY JHS/HS period was from '59-65. I played in bands starting in '63. I listened to a lot of music on the radio, records, etc.

Pop rock during that era was fun, but had little staying power. I was listening to classical, jazz (on a limited basis), musicals, and, of course, rock and soul, but pop/rock music didn't get interesting for me until the late sixties/early seventies.

So while I'm nostalgic about 1964 when I was in HS, no way would I hold up that year as a pinnacle of R&R.

Fast forward through the decades . . . I cherry pick the music I like and it comes from many eras, but it's rarely the pop culture stuff produced for the 14-yr-olds. Show me a song that you think will be covered my multiple artists and multiple genres and I'll show you a song that has meat on its bones.

I don't think you can make a good case for every decade producing the same amount of classics - in any genre. Compare the 40s to the 50s. My wife and I often listen to "Hot Jazz Saturday Night here in DC . . . . mostly 20s and 30s.

• Members

With out the beatles hitting these shores in 1964 and the garage band revolution ,, this msg board would not exist. I cut off the golden era at 1970 with the death of hendrix. Lots of good music followed and preceeded this , but guy just because you were too young for it ,,, those were the golden years of rock. woodstock was the peak.

LOL. I wasn't too young for the music. Unlike you, I listen to a lot of music beyond what was hip during my youth. I probably know most 60s music and bands as well as you do. In case you didn't notice, pretty much every hit song recorded during the last 100 years is available on CD these days. What I AM too young for is to have any sort of personal "growing up" experiences with music from that era. I was getting laid to different songs from a different era. So I probably have a more objective view of the music from that era than you do. Because when I hear it, I hear it just for the MUSIC, not because it has any special cultural or personal meaning in my life. Note that you mentioned as the "peak" a cultural event and rock concert. No new music was written during Woodstock. No new bands were formed. In fact, most of the music performed during it sucked because most of the musicians were too {censored}ed up to play well.

Maybe YOU can't separate the music from the cultural events of the era, but I can.

And when I listen to it just for the MUSIC, it's no more special than the music from any other era.

• Members

Compare the 40s to the 50s.

On what terms?

Here's a list of the Top singles from the 1940s:

http://www.musicimprint.com/Chart.aspx?id=C000108

Here's a list of the Top singles from the 1950s:

http://www.musicimprint.com/Chart.aspx?id=C000118

I think there's a fair number of 'classics' on both lists, wouldn't you say?

I further I suspect that most of whoever was 15-25 during each decade would prefer THAT decade to the other.

Archived