What is the demand like for old (70's and earlier) country in your market?

BATCAT

• Members

I don't know if that is an
entirely
new phenomenon. I think there were plenty of white kids listening to Motown and R&B and black kids listening to rock in the 60s and 70s too.

No argument there- but nowadays it's different IMO. It's obvious there's more intermarrying, intermingling and "hanging out" amongst different ethnicities nowadays. RE the trailer park thing, it's hard not to do all the above when families are jammed up right next to each other.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When I first heard Guitar Town it was a breath of fresh air soundwise- the Duane Eddy guitar with Hammond organ on top. It was similar in that regard to when I first became aware of Willie Nelson singing "All Of Me"- a different kind of raw, stripped-down instrumentation that really stood out.

Copperhead Road is bad-ass, too, although I associate it with fat people line dancing in clubs, competing to see who can kick the highest- kind of like the animated dancing pig chorus line in "Hee Haw" but without any grace or rhythm. I never have found a suitable bagpipe synth sound for that one, either, although Roland seemed to do it better than Yamaha. Plus the drummer never mic'ed his kick with any depth, or triggered a good deep sample, so I always thought "what's the point?"

One time my road band was rehearsing that song at a soundcheck at a nice club that had a huge sound system, and the sound man got an idea- asked me to hold down a low synth note during the "still can hear that rumbling sound" words in the verse, and he would do the rest. Every time we played CR that week, he cranked it up in the subs so much that the club literally shook. :cool:

Snake Oil is one of my favorite SE songs, with it's barrelhouse piano (Matt Rollings) and GREAT Reggie Young guitar playing. It's also great political commentary, IMO.

• Members
When I first heard Guitar Town it was a breath of fresh air soundwise- the Duane Eddy guitar with Hammond organ on top. It was similar in that regard to when I first became aware of Willie Nelson singing "All Of Me"- a different kind of raw, stripped-down instrumentation that really stood out.

Copperhead Road is bad-ass, too, although I associate it with fat people line dancing in clubs, competing to see who can kick the highest- kind of like the animated dancing pig chorus line in "Hee Haw" but without any grace or rhythm. I never have found a suitable bagpipe synth sound for that one, either, although Roland seemed to do it better than Yamaha. Plus the drummer never mic'ed his kick with any depth, or triggered a good deep sample, so I always thought "what's the point?"

One time my road band was rehearsing that song at a soundcheck at a nice club that had a huge sound system, and the sound man got an idea- asked me to hold down a low synth note during the "still can hear that rumbling sound" words in the verse, and he would do the rest. Every time we played CR that week, he cranked it up in the subs so much that the club literally shook.
:cool:

Snake Oil is one of my favorite SE songs, with it's barrelhouse piano (Matt Rollings) and GREAT Reggie Young guitar playing. It's also great political commentary, IMO.

never thought of copper head road as line dance music.

• Members

Meaning you probably haven't gigged too much at line-dance clubs. Just about all country dance clubs have at least a handful of people who can make up a line dance to ANYTHING. Which, for some reason, always pissed me off. I always wanted my bands to learn "The Crunge" (Zeppelin) or something, just to trip those mother{censored}ers up.

• Members

Meaning you probably haven't gigged too much at line-dance clubs.
Just about all country dance clubs have at least a handful of people who can make up a line dance to ANYTHING
. Which, for some reason, always pissed me off. I always wanted my bands to learn "The Crunge" (Zeppelin) or something, just to trip those mother{censored}ers up.

True ,, we see a little bit of that,, but copper head road is not really a good line dance song. Do you play in a country band? We play thishttp://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=screw+you+we+are+from+texas&mid=9ADF16EC83B21A4B4B7B9ADF16EC83B21A4B4B7B&view=detail&FORM=VIRE5

• Members

steve earl is what I consider songwriter stuff, as is ray wiley hubbard.

Yeah. When he first hit the scene with Guitar Town and Copperhead Road he sort of forshadowed the cross between Modern Country and Classic Rock. Radio didn't know what to do with him. I remember I was working for Tower at the time and we didn't know what section of the store to put him in. I hear stuff like "Copperhead Road" on the radio much more now than I did back then. I think he was really ahead of his time in that regard. Great songwriter.

My favorite album of his is "I Feel Alright". Pretty dark, but great stuff.

• Members

Meaning you probably haven't gigged too much at line-dance clubs. Just about all country dance clubs have at least a handful of people who can make up a line dance to ANYTHING. Which, for some reason, always pissed me off. I always wanted my bands to learn "The Crunge" (Zeppelin) or something, just to trip those mother{censored}ers up.

People who want to dance a certain dance will find a way. Same with the old folks that want to swing. They'll do it to anything with a reasonably close beat and tempo. Or even half-tempo.

• Members

I remember Steve Earle came out about the same time as Dwight Yoakim, both were considered to be part of a country "reset" after the pop/R&B country of the 80's, and also that they were competitors and may have had a personal rivalry (Earle is said to have scribbled "Dwight Yoakim eats sushi" on an elevator in Nashville).

RE line dancing, I saw more of it than I cared to while on the country dance club circuit '94-'97. And when playing in a honkytonk house band off and on from '99-'06, even more- where CH was one of the most popular line-dance songs. But the first time I ever saw line dancing, it was done at an all-black club (believe it was named "Silks") on Medgar Evers Blvd in Jackson MS, NYE '92, back when I played in the King Edward Blues Band.

@T-bone: I'm in a band that does new country, outlaw country, lotta Southern rock and classic rock. But we're not REALLY a country band, because we don't have a fiddle or steel- just a full-time acoustic player, piano, harmonica, and electric git-fiddle. Kind of like that non-country band of Willie Nelson's ;).

• Members

I remember Steve Earle came out about the same time as Dwight Yoakim, both were considered to be part of a country "reset" after the pop/R&B country of the 80's, and also that they were competitors and may have had a personal rivalry (Earle is said to have scribbled "Dwight Yoakim eats sushi" on an elevator in Nashville).

I dunno. Maybe. I never really considered them very similar even though they came on the scene around the same time. (Earle had been writing songs for others long before he started recording, though.) Yoakam came out of LA after not having any luck in Nashville and, while being more of a direct throwback to the 50s/60s country sound, he built his following with a lot of the hipster scene there. I don't know how much they would have even crossed paths, although I don't doubt Dwight likes sushi. Earle was always off doing much more his own thing. Including a lot of heroin. And pissing off a lot of country fans by being an outspoken "radical" liberal.

• Members

we get lotsa love from the under 30 crowd with Copperhead Road.

Don't the first couple verses throw the dancers for a loop (if they don't already line dance to it)?

It seems to sound "slow" to the unsuspecting and it takes half the song before they dance. The halftime thing seems to throw off unsophisticated dancers anyway, but country players love it and keep cranking out more of them.

Guitar Town, OTOH, gets them up right away. What a great song..I wish one of the guys in my band did that one. It went over great with my last band.

Archived