What is the demand like for old (70's and earlier) country in your market?

BATCAT

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And what IS your market?

You know, Waylon Jennings, Wilie Nelson, Glen Campbell, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn... whatever. Though I guess I'm thinking more "Outlaw" than "Nashville".

:confused:

We didn't have success when we used to do it. However, Johnny Cash goes over extremely well here, to the point there is an extremely sucessful JC tribute band down here called Cash'd Out.

• Members

Johnny Cash is the exception not the rule. I wouldn't rest the answer to the question about viability of classic country as a genre based on how well "Ring Of Fire" goes over.

All these genre's end up being similar in the big scheme of things. Classic Country goes over about as well as Classic Rock. There's exceptions where bands are having success, but by and large that's the exception to the rule.

• Moderators

Johnny Cash is the exception not the rule. I wouldn't rest the answer to the question about viability of classic country as a genre based on how well "Ring Of Fire" goes over.

Yeah, I almost didn't include him because I sort of figured that. Everyone loves Cash, including me, but there's too much other stuff out there for me to want to cover him every other song.

I'm kind of toying with the idea of doing a solo thing (not that I wouldn't have a band some of the time) that would do around a 50/50 mix of 50s/60s/70s country covers and some originals in that vein, with a little extra dark twangy reverb-eyness thrown in for good measure.

Lately I'm working on coming up with a take on "Wichita Lineman". I love that song, can't get it out of my head...

• Members

Yeah, I almost didn't include him because I sort of figured that. Everyone loves Cash, including me, but there's too much other stuff out there for me to want to cover him every other song.

I'm kind of toying with the idea of doing a solo thing (not that I wouldn't have a band some of the time) that would do around a 50/50 mix of 50s/60s/70s country covers and some originals in that vein, with a little extra dark twangy reverb-eyness thrown in for good measure.

Lately I'm working on coming up with a take on "Wichita Lineman". I love that song, can't get it out of my head...

we get good milage out of the guys like robert earl keen, steve earl, jerry jeff walker, Gary P nunn, ray wiley hubbard etc. I think the secret is to have a really deep well to draw from so you can fit the songs to whats going on in the room. I play in a backing band for a guy thats done the solo deal forever. What makes his shows good is that you can be in town for a week and see 5 shows without a lot of repeat songs.

• Members

its decent around here if a band puts some effort into the product. There are very few acts doing it and most of the ones who do are has-beens or never were who are playing to get into the bar because alcohol is they're life and they can afford to drink then. And they are usually using old dinosaur gear that is totally trashed besides.

• Members

I'm always amazed by the number of requests we get for Guitar Town

We do somday and copper head road. Kevin fowler is another guy that has some great material out. The cool thing about songwriter type country is that people love to hear songs they havent heard. Our show can turn into a tutorial on texas music at times but thats part of the draw. Then come in expecting the un expected. one show and they are hooked. We have a fun show.

• Members
We do somday and copper head road. Kevin fowler is another guy that has some great material out. The cool thing about songwriter type country is that people love to hear songs they havent heard. Our show can turn into a tutorial on texas music at times but thats part of the draw. Then come in expecting the un expected. one show and they are hooked. We have a fun show.

Im sure I'd enjoy your band immensely!

• Members

In that great country bastion of NYC, we've had to ramp up our "New" country list. With the help of this forum to get us started, its worked our pretty well. Once we establish that we can "Rock the Country", and folks are dancing, (they do) and singing along, we can drop in Merle,Buck,Waylon, and so forth, and its appreciated MOST of the time.

We played 2 great sets of new and not so new dance tunes on a Thursday night recently. Crowd loved it, and then left at about 11PM. We backed down the sound a little with some GREAT older stuff in the 3rd set, and that's all the club owner heard. He said, all you guys play is old stuff. Haven't gotten the rebook yet.

• Members

We played 2 great sets of new and not so new dance tunes on a Thursday night recently. Crowd loved it, and then left at about 11PM. We backed down the sound a little with some GREAT older stuff in the 3rd set, and that's all the club owner heard. He said, all you guys play is old stuff. Haven't gotten the rebook yet.

Good lesson in why you should always put on your "A" show. Play what you would have played had the crowd been full all night long.

• Members

Im sure I'd enjoy your band immensely!

Its a good time. When you are playing with a solo performer with as much experience workin a bar room as our band leader, every gig is an adventure. He has zero filter between his brain and his mouth and you can always count on those, I cant believe he just said that moments.

• Moderators

We didn't have success when we used to do it. However, Johnny Cash goes over extremely well here, to the point there is an extremely sucessful JC tribute band down here called Cash'd Out.

I was at 1st Street Bar in Encinitas (North San Deigo) over the weekend and there was a band doing Waylon, The Band, Buck Owens, Cash. The bar usually caters to the 21-30 crowd. Decidedly not country. Any yet... the crowd ate it up. The band were all under 30 and played very well. The guitar went to steel on occasion. This was straight up country.There was an acoustic, bass and drums too. 4 peice.

I was very surprised at the positive reaction for the type of bar it was.

• Members

I was at 1st Street Bar in Encinitas (North San Deigo) over the weekend and there was a band doing Waylon, The Band, Buck Owens, Cash. The bar usually caters to the 21-30 crowd. Decidedly
not
country. Any yet... the crowd ate it up. The band were all under 30 and played very well. The guitar went to steel on occasion. This was straight up country.There was an acoustic, bass and drums too. 4 peice.

I was very surprised at the positive reaction for the type of bar it was.

Was it a sit down, chow down and drink it down type of crowd? I think you will find that more off the beaten path stuff goes over well with this kind crowd. Modern country goes over well with a country dance crowd. As for the young crowd diggin old country ,,,many young people like somthing different than everyone else is serving up to them. It was like that when i was in college. You had the kids that went for the dance stuff and you had kids who were into the cross over country like poco, flying burrito bros etc.

• Members

Kudos to you. I couldn't do it.

It was a little tough at first I admit. So much easier to kick off a I-V-I intro for something old and familiar. I used to enjoy working up new tunes (in the old days), and after the first one or two, its gotten almost painless.

With some young crowds, or any crowds, when they allow themselves too, they enjoy the old twang and pick. Probably for the same reason we do. Its comfortable and feels good.

• Members

I like that Jason Aldean "Dirt Road" song (quite a bit, in fact), and although I could do without the "rap" part, it doesn't ruin it for me. IMO as long as he doesn't try to vocally mimic the rappers from the Bronx or wherever it's an honest, non-contrived effort. Seeing as how he is a young man, it's fairly likely that he LIKES at least some rap and hip-hop, the same as the younger new country audience.

I don't know much about artist Colt Ford, but am told he is a country rapper.

You want to see where music is headed? Hang out at a trailor park, especially in the not-so-segregated South. Poor black and white (and Hispanic) kids there listen to and learn to like each other's music, so it becomes kind of a laboratory for mixing genres. At least that's what I have read, and my experience with gracious trailor park living seems to bear that out.

• Members

You want to see where music is headed? Hang out at a trailor park, especially in the not-so-segregated South. Poor black and white (and Hispanic) kids there listen to and learn to like each other's music, so it becomes kind of a laboratory for mixing genres. At least that's what I have read, and my experience with gracious trailor park living seems to bear that out.

I don't know if that is an entirely new phenomenon. I think there were plenty of white kids listening to Motown and R&B and black kids listening to rock in the 60s and 70s too.

• Members

I don't know if that is an
entirely
new phenomenon. I think there were plenty of white kids listening to Motown and R&B and black kids listening to rock in the 60s and 70s too.

Youth has always gravitated toward the best dance music of the times. 69 and 70 the genre of choice for dance music was soul. Today its set lists like the party bands on here.

Archived