What is the demand like for old (70's and earlier) country in your market?

BATCAT

• Members

Other artist include Shell Silverstein, Roger Miller, Highwaymen, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristopherson, Clapton, Dolly, Willie Nelson, George Jones, a bit of Patsy, JJ Cale, Hank Sr., Bobby McGentry, Helen Redding, etc. We also do a lot of Jon Prine and a handful of old classic rock songs such as Janice and the eagles, a couple neil young songs, and some CCR, I guess, which is not old country, really.

The guy I play the duo with does at least 3 solo gigs a week where the setlist is the same type of genre. We play 1 or 2 a month now, mostly because a solo is a better payout, and he usually has people begging to sit in with him. The market is for small bars. It ain't no rock show, but there are full bands (still in small bars) that do mix a lot of this stuff into their setlists.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Other artist include Shell Silverstein, Roger Miller, Highwaymen, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristopherson, Clapton, Dolly, Willie Nelson, George Jones, a bit of Patsy, JJ Cale, Hank Sr., Bobby McGentry, Helen Redding, etc. We also do a lot of Jon Prine and a handful of old classic rock songs such as Janice and the eagles, a couple neil young songs, and some CCR, I guess, which is not old country, really.

The guy I play the duo with does at least 3 solo gigs a week where the setlist is the same type of genre. We play 1 or 2 a month now, mostly because a solo is a better payout, and he usually has people begging to sit in with him. The market is for small bars. It ain't no rock show, but there are full bands (still in small bars) that do mix a lot of this stuff into their setlists.

Cool!

One thing that seems really appealing abotu that kind of stuff is that I imagine you could take a given setlist and play it comfortably as a solo performer, in a duo, or as a full band without having to change a lot of songs out.

• Members

Other artist include Shell Silverstein, Roger Miller, Highwaymen, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristopherson,
Clapton
, Dolly, Willie Nelson, George Jones, a bit of Patsy, JJ Cale, Hank Sr., Bobby McGentry, Helen Redding, etc.

One of these things is not like the other. What EC songs do you do? We just added "Lay Down Sally", but that's about as country as he got.

• Members

Agreed, Squid. This type of music works well for solos and larger groups.

One of these things is not like the other. What EC songs do you do? We just added "Lay Down Sally", but that's about as country as he got.

Lay Down Sally, After Midnight, and Promises, although I just discovered he didn't write that one. :)

• Members

Copperhead Road is definitely one of the top line dance songs around, at least in San Diego (and Sacramento, where I'm from originally). Other than Fast as You, Boot Scoot, Watermelon Crawl, and a few others, there's not many songs that will pack a line dance floor as well as that one.

• Members

Copperhead Road is definitely one of the top line dance songs around, at least in San Diego (and Sacramento, where I'm from originally). Other than Fast as You, Boot Scoot, Watermelon Crawl, and a few others, there's not many songs that will pack a line dance floor as well as that one.

I dont doubt you ,, but the arrangement of the song seems like it would be awkward. I did a google on it and there actually is a line dance called the copper head road. it had a video of people doing the copperhead road line dance to the song. It looked like it was a pretty good reach to line dance to that. Down here its a lot of two steppin. On up tempo country we tend to spool it up pretty tight and push the tempo. Dont think they would enjoy line dancing to that ,,, its more drinkin music by the time we get done with it.

• Members

Is that the same drummerless band you posted a vid of some time back, singer was wearing a tank top, singing "I Still Miss Someone"? I liked that group- seemed like a fun band!

• Members
I dont doubt you ,, but the arrangement of the song seems like it would be awkward. I did a google on it and there actually is a line dance called the copper head road. it had a video of people doing the copperhead road line dance to the song. It looked like it was a pretty good reach to line dance to that. Down here its a lot of two steppin. On up tempo country we tend to spool it up pretty tight and push the tempo. Dont think they would enjoy line dancing to that ,,, its more drinkin music by the time we get done with it.

around here, most people just clap and sing along to the first part of the song.

• Members

I have to read the room for Copperhead. If I see line dancers who know what they're doing, I keep a proper tempo. If its a listening , drinking crowd, I try to boost the grit factor vocally, and tweak the tempo up a bit.

Been meaning to learn Guitar Town for half a decade I guess.

• Members

As far as I know, there is NO demand for it - or even places to play it. Jacksonville, Florida. The area is fairly divers in regards to current popular music, and you can find a little bit of everything, but most of the bands out there seem to play what I like to call "Government Music" (Godsmack, Shinedown, Puddle of Mud, Nickleback, Weezer, etc.) I'm not sure what this category is, but I hate that music. And about 90% of the original bands seem to be playing "Metalcore", "Hardcore", or some type of Punk Rock. We do have a few Death & Black metal bands, and while I know of two bands that do play country, most of their set is either New Country (Jason Aldean,Toby keith, etc), or Southern Rock.

• Members

Maybe they just have more sophisticated dancers in Calfornia.... :poke:

• Members

And you guys claim to be from TEXAS?? :poke:

Actually we only have one native texan. front man is from OR, I am from MI, Bass player of from Baton Rouge and so is the drummer. Most of the people we play for are from all over the place too. This time of year they are all from up north. Most of the natives that live here are all hispanic to the tune of 75 percent plus.

• Members

Hey now...I guarantee we have more flip flops per capita in San Diego than you guys on South Padre. Heck I wear Flip Flops to casual friday sometimes.
:lol:

I wear sandals pretty well all year round. I did have to break out the jeans ,, northern went through , its 48 degrees today ,, freekin freezin out. The island is a strange place. Not a lot of locals are into line dancing. Most of the line dancers are from up north. I was talking to our bar manager the other day. He has been a bar tender for like 15 years down here and worked pretty well everywhere on the island. I ask him what was the most productive crowd as far as ring,, a dancing crowd or a listen to the music crowd. He said that the listend to the music crowd are the most productive for bar sales.

• Members

Is that the same drummerless band you posted a vid of some time back, singer was wearing a tank top, singing "I Still Miss Someone"? I liked that group- seemed like a fun band!

No. I'll sit in for a handful of songs once in awhile with them if I go somewhere and they're playing, but I don't gig with them anymore. This is the 'old-country duo' I've been doing for about 6 years or so. My partner is a very smooth picker.

Archived