Hey Lee Knight: Is this better

wades_keys

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm skipping a bunch of posts because I've already read the same rhetoric in the previous ones and don't need to repeat, but it appears to me at least that someone who is strongly advocating AGAINST mediocrity is in fact advocating it...

Focus on the groove at the expense of good vocals, regardless of the rationale behind it, yields the same results: meh band.

• Members

I'm skipping a bunch of posts because I've already read the same rhetoric in the previous ones and don't need to repeat, but it appears to me at least that someone who is strongly advocating AGAINST mediocrity is in fact advocating it...

Focus on the groove at the expense of good vocals, regardless of the rationale behind it, yields the same results: meh band.

Blah blah blah. Yeah, because Kelly Clarkson and all your vocal idols hire weak ass backlines. Keep throwing your jabs while I keep demonstrating the ability to hang wih the pros in all styles of music.

Don't think for one minute this is the only music I'll make or it represents the pinnacle. I'll keep improving my game, and just for you I'll post the progress so you can eat my {censored}.

• Members

Blah blah blah. Yeah, because Kelly Clarkson and all your vocal idols hire weak ass backlines. Keep throwing your jabs while I keep demonstrating the ability to hang wih the pros in all styles of music.

Sorry to break it to people on this forum, but I don't see too many bands, players or vocalists hanging out here that I would put up on the level of Kelly Clarkson and her backline. You, me and Lee Knight included.

Is that why I get tagged with "championing medocrity"? Because I'm actually willing to approach this business from the place almost all of us here actually ARE rather than constantly comparing myself to players and singers who wouldn't look twice at our resumes, experience and abilities?

• Members

Don't think for one minute this is the only music I'll make or it represents the pinnacle. I'll keep improving my game, and just for you I'll post the progress so you can eat my {censored}.

I don't know WTF exactly you're going on about Code Boy, but my post wasn't directed at you. You should probably talk to your doc and get your meds adjusted.

If you're going to be here, at least pay attention. If you can't do that for the rest of us here, then at least do yourself a favor and pay attention to getting your drummer's vox passable.

• Members

OFGS people, vocals are always the key, {censored} the backline......a top vocalist always attracts a great backline (if that's what you want to call it) I prefer to call it the rhythm section. If you are promoting the "backline" above vocals, then welcome to the dive bar scene because that is all you will ever experience.

• Members

OFGS people, vocals are always the key, {censored} the backline......a top vocalist always attracts a great backline (if that's what you want to call it) I prefer to call it the rhythm section. If you are promoting the "backline" above vocals, then welcome to the dive bar scene because that is all you will ever experience.

+10000! I don't know why this is so hard to understand. Nobody is going to sit and watch a band no matter how hard they "groove" if the vox are poor. I've seen it a million times. And to Dave, I get what you were saying even if nobody else did. Time better spent for the O.P would have been on vocals. You weren't advocating {censored}ty rhythm playing, just pointing out that they were probably spending their time on something that could have been put on the back burner because their playing is pretty good.

• Members

You won't find a great vocalist working with subpar musicians, at least not after the first gig.

Maybe so, but that works the other way too- increase your skills as a musician and you will get to work for better singers. Or attract them to your band. A talented, seasoned singer knows what's junk and what isn't. Although you might get lucky and snag a talented singer who only has experience doing karaoke, and doesn't have much of a basis from which to judge musicians (it worked for us, anyway).

• Moderators

Where did you go when you were in Hawai'i and how long were you there?

Just over a week on the Big Island. We moved around a lot and got to stay in some really nice places and do some discounted activities as my wife is a travel writer aside from her day job. We spent some time in Kona initially- did some kayaking over to the Captain Cook memorial for some excellent snorkeling. Also did a nighttime manta ray snorkel that was AMAZING, in fact we did it a second time. Did a bike tour at Volcanoes national park. Also drove through Hilo and up north. Just totally beautiful and magical. I'm already dying to return.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Piano Whore

View Post

Maybe so, but that works the other way too- increase your skills as a musician and you will get to work for better singers. Or attract them to your band. A talented, seasoned singer knows what's junk and what isn't. Although you might get lucky and snag a talented singer who only has experience doing karaoke, and doesn't have much of a basis from which to judge musicians (it worked for us, anyway).

Well Ok, maybe two gigs, and then he/she is gone. Hahahaha. For sure, a great vocalist will not stick around very long with subpar talent. That's just the way it is. An immutable rule of the Universe.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
Well Ok, maybe two gigs, and then he/she is gone. Hahahaha. For sure, a great vocalist will not stick around very long with subpar talent. That's just the way it is. An immutable rule of the Universe.
Untruism.

Your post implies that the singer acts professional and is a decent human being. I've played with many who do not and are not.

Because they are singers, the didn't feel they had to be.

And equally great musicians will not hang around with sub par singers either.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
For sure, a great vocalist will not stick around very long with subpar talent. That's just the way it is. An immutable rule of the Universe.
Quote Originally Posted by 3shiftgtr View Post
And equally great musicians will not hang around with sub par singers either.
You guys speak about bands like they're absolutes. You both must be experienced enough to realize that there are countless variables that go into each band, right? Personality, drive, desires, hopes, dream, level of effort required/ willing to put in, age, musical skill, type of music, venues being played, crowd response, travel time, proximity to and ratio of practice, etc?

All of those are factors, plus countless more. When y'all start whinging about what must always happen, you sound goofy. smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Actionsquid View Post
Just over a week on the Big Island. We moved around a lot and got to stay in some really nice places and do some discounted activities as my wife is a travel writer aside from her day job. We spent some time in Kona initially- did some kayaking over to the Captain Cook memorial for some excellent snorkeling. Also did a nighttime manta ray snorkel that was AMAZING, in fact we did it a second time. Did a bike tour at Volcanoes national park. Also drove through Hilo and up north. Just totally beautiful and magical. I'm already dying to return.
The Big Island is magical. My wife grew up in Kona (although her family is on Oahu now) so we get back there when we can. A week is barely enough time to scratch the surface. So MUCH to do and see and so much diversity. I need to get back as well. Glad you had a great time. I'm jealous!

Horseback riding in Waipi'o Valley thumb.gif

attachment.php?attachmentid=349914&d=135

Archived