Hey Lee Knight: Is this better

wades_keys

• Members

Really Wade? STFU already...That remark about vocals was between me and Guido. Its not all about you and if you took a second to actually read a post before commenting, you would have seen that.

Now to you...would you rather have honest criticism or someone stroking your already giant ego? This has nothing to do with me or anyone else so keep it in perspective. You can groove or work up the grooves all you want, at the end of the day you!ll need a vocalist.

And don't think for a second just because your posting here again, that the majority don't think you acted like a dick far to many times to actually give a {censored} about your posts.

Weak. Very weak.

Like I haven't heard this a million times. I thought you were a musician. Then stop with this lame ass "criticism". As if I don't know this already.

And stop defending mediocrity. Where did I talk about pyrotechnics? I talked about TECHNIQUE. Just because you have not applied yourself to refining your technique, don't lecture me because I HAVE.

And last time I checked, Deep Purple and Jaco still have MANY fans. So don't tell me that "nobody gives a {censored}". Those fans give a {censored}. And damn right if my band plays "Highway Star", I'll do the solo justice. Same as I'll do justice to duck dunn, Geddy Lee, or even Green Day. It's called covering the tune.

I'm a musician. Are you? Then act like one and quit crying about those that have chops to bring to the table. Did you see me overplaying on that clip?????

Dude, if you want, I can post some "chops clips", including me tearing up "Highway Star". Would that make you feel better about your position?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow I'm a dick for asking Wade about him quiting? grow up

I know right? The guy sneaks in here at night for the entire summer and rips people while he's sitting at home sucking on a bottle of cheap whiskey. And you're the dick?

• Members

I know right? The guy sneaks in here at night for the entire summer and rips people while he's sitting at home sucking on a bottle of cheap whiskey. And you're the dick?

Dick or no dick man, I'd play bass behind a voice like yours all day. Not sure how this deal got so far off track man, but I'm just trying to get it back to what matters and brings us together, and that's playing music.

Alright man? So can you drop the hostility already? I get it. I'm a dick. Yeah {censored}ing yeah yeah. Now: wanna talk about music some more? or what?

• Members

No beef. Except to take Piano Whore to task for what I thought was an incorrect observation that conflated two separate issues. As we've discussed before, how a band PLAYS and how they SELL THEMSELVES are two completely separate things.
This idea that one can only be done at the expense of the other
, or if you haven't reached some other musician's subjective measure of skill you shouldn't even opine on selling yourself, let alone be out in the marketplace, is embarrassingly absurd for those who would take such a position.

Sorry but nope, I never said that. Playing vs selling/marketing is not a zero-sum proposition. But (here in my "we-can-all-be-GREAT" never-neverland, lol) I'm just against the idea that after 30 or so, someone's musicianship "is what it is", and to the idea that how an individual player or a band grooves is set in stone. Also I believe that even a typical audience CAN feel a good groove coming off the stage. It may even (gasp) be possible, at some level, to lose out on a gig to another group on account of that.

Also, from what I have seen, really good musicians make alot more $$ than mediocre, "get-by" ones. (FWIW, I- and my income- puts myself somewhere in the middle).

Also FWIW, I wish my current band took more of the Wade approach. IMO we're decent but not up to the level of some here. Sometimes our drummer tends to feel tempos a little more slowly than what I consider ideal. Sometimes the keyboard player gets a little tipsy during our 5 sets (but at least not on cheap whiskey). They DO place alot of emphasis on strong harmony vocals, I agree that that's important. I hope the {censored}-storm has settled down by the time I hit the "post" button.

• Members

Sorry but nope, I never said that. Playing vs selling/marketing is not a zero-sum proposition. But (here in my "we-can-all-be-GREAT" never-neverland, lol) I'm just against the idea that after 30 or so, someone's musicianship "is what it is", and to the idea that how an individual player or a band grooves is set in stone. Also I believe that even a typical audience CAN feel a good groove coming off the stage. It may even (gasp) be possible, at some level, to lose out on a gig to another group on account of that.

Also, from what I have seen, really good musicians make alot more $$ than mediocre, "get-by" ones. (FWIW, I- and my income- puts myself somewhere in the middle).

Also FWIW, I wish my current band took more of the Wade approach. IMO we're decent but not up to the level of some here. Sometimes our drummer tends to feel tempos a little more slowly than what I consider ideal. Sometimes the keyboard player gets a little tipsy during our 5 sets (but at least not on cheap whiskey). They DO place alot of emphasis on strong harmony vocals, I agree that that's important. I hope the {censored}-storm has settled down by the time I hit the "post" button.

I can't really disagree with any of this.

• Members

No one's mentioned this, but I wonder if the guys on this forum who sing lead - either as the primary singer or as an occasional featured vocalist, like me - have noticed that your singing is influenced by the quality of the musical support behind you. I'm talking about phrasing, how you breathe, or just how good you feel when you're inspired by the music. Can there be any doubt that the audience taps into the positive vibes the same way you do!?

• Members

No one's mentioned this, but I wonder if the guys on this forum who sing lead - either as the primary singer or as an occasional featured vocalist, like me - have noticed that your singing is influenced by the quality of the musical support behind you. I'm talking about phrasing, how you breathe, or just how good you feel when you're inspired by the music. Can there be any doubt that the audience taps into the positive vibes the same way you do!?

A great perspective there. I know that I certainly feel more relaxed and am "on" when the music backing me is of a stellar quality as opposed to a "meh" or "OMG, they SUCK!" quality. When it feels like I'm barely holding the thing together as it sometimes did in my previous band, yeah, my singing is going to suffer and the crowd is going to notice.

I don't have that problem with my current band and I definitely didn't have that problem even with the two fantastic fill-in bassist/harmony vocalists I performed with this past week and it showed (the crowds grew and stuck around more and more throughout the week).

• Members

I don't think there's any doubt about that. I think it works the other way as well. When I'm really selling and rocking a vocal (or when I feel one of the other singers doing so) I can feel band kick it up a notch as well. Like everything else on stage, it's all symbiotic.

Tempo is a big deal as well too. Nothing worse than not being able to sing a song as well as you can because you have to rush through the lyrics because the band is playing the song too fast.

• Members

No no no no...you don't get it Senior....the audience only taps into showmanship....attention to detail in the music end of it is a waste. It is sad when people get old and don't get this. Says so right here in this thread.

Read the thread again.

• Members
No no no no...you don't get it Senior....the audience only taps into showmanship....attention to detail in the music end of it is a waste. It is sad when people get old and don't get this. Says so right here in this thread.

Read the thread again.

:facepalm: Clearly you need to work on your reading comprehension.

• Members
Whadya expect...."gosh G, you're right on again!"

No. no. YOU'RE right Mr. 3. You have all the answers! Who am I to question the grand wisdom or offer an opinion or point-of-view? As you already have told me, I don't possess the musical skill to warrant even HAVING an opinion on things like showmanship, right?

:facepalm:

• Members

Read the thread again.

LOL . . . .

There's lots of thing I don't get by virtue of being old (this week it becomes official - 65!!)

. . . but I know how I feel. My lousy track record recently for staying in bands is ALL about how well I feel supported musically. I'm sure other guys feel the same way about me . . . and they should.

Right now, I'm on a musical high. Working with eight guys is a challenge, but I like the feedback loop that I'm a part of, and the response we get to the gigs we've played so far suggests that it's contagious. It doesn't hurt that our front man has serious showman chops, but, I know from listening to tapes of our gigs, that part of his act is feeding off what we're doing.

And no, Dave, I honestly don't think it works in reverse in the same way. You can sing your heart out, but if the guys behind you don't have the musical understanding - for lack of a better word - it won't magically improve their performance.

• Members

And no, Dave, I honestly don't think it works in reverse in the same way. You can sing your heart out, but if the guys behind you don't have the musical understanding - for lack of a better word - it won't magically improve their performance.

No, not if you're playing with guys at that level, I suppose not.

Again, a lot of this stuff seems to revolve around things I've long taken for granted: playing with people who through experience or inately understand how to connect with the other musicians onstage and with the audience and how to play off all that to create a more dynamic performance. If I was playing with people that I couldn't do that with, I'd simply just find other people to play with.

That there are musicians still struggling with those sorts of basics at 40-50+ years old is something I find a bit mind-boggling, really.

• Members

No, not if you're playing with guys at that level, I suppose not.

Again, a lot of this stuff seems to revolve around things I've long taken for granted: playing with people who through experience or inately understand how to connect with the other musicians onstage and with the audience and how to play off all that to create a more dynamic performance. If I was playing with people that I couldn't do that with, I'd simply just find other people to play with.

That there are musicians still struggling with those sorts of basics at 40-50+ years old is something I find a bit mind-boggling, really.

I don't think the performance level is relevant. Look at all the name guys that use local talent when they tour. Do you think the local bands pick up their game that much just because they're playing with someone working several rungs higher on the ladder?

I'm not buying your hypothesis . . . . at any level.

• Members
I don't think the performance level is relevant. Look at all the name guys that use local talent when they tour. Do you think the local bands pick up their game that much just because they're playing with someone working several rungs higher on the ladder?

Im not sure what you mean by "performance level". I don't think we're talking about the same thing here.
But no, I think they work with local talent that has the experience to know how to play with other musicians in a variety of situations

I'm not buying your hypothesis . . . . at any level.

What "hypothesis"? I was simply relating my experience. :idk:

• Members
No. no. YOU'RE right Mr. 3. You have all the answers! Who am I to question the grand wisdom or offer an opinion or point-of-view? As you already have told me, I don't possess the musical skill to warrant even HAVING an opinion on things like showmanship, right?

:facepalm:

Watch the line G. I've never EVER said or implied a disparaging thing about your musical skills. Ever. I've often proudly mentioned respect in your regards, because you deserve it. So watch the line please.

And while your relative ism is showing, you missed a click. There is a difference between having the right to have an opinion on showmanship, which you have, and having the wrong one.

Which you have also. :)

• Members

LOL . . . .

Right now, I'm on a musical high. Working with eight guys is a challenge, but I like the feedback loop that I'm a part of, and the response we get to the gigs we've played so far suggests that it's contagious. It doesn't hurt that our front man has serious showman chops, but, I know from listening to tapes of our gigs, that part of his act is feeding off what we're doing.

Sounds like he is a great showman who also LISTENS and interacts musically with the band. That is AWESOME!!!!

• Members

I agree with Potts on this. The singing is painfully flat. You need a real singer. I see bands like this every week at the local tavern. I usually leave after the 1st set or before if it's really bad.

I'd rather see one guy and an acoustic guitar who can strum 3 basic chords and can sing like a mofo than a whole band with a mediocre singer. That's just me I guess...:idk:

• Members

Again, a lot of this stuff seems to revolve around things I've long taken for granted: playing with people who through experience or inately understand how to connect with the other musicians onstage and with the audience and how to play off all that to create a more dynamic performance.
If I was playing with people that I couldn't do that with, I'd simply just find other people to play with.

You've often wondered why I had so many bands. This is what I did. I simply found other people to play with.

• Members

Since when is the rule that one can only respond to questions asked of them? If that was the case, you just broke it yourself.

My response was polite and not personal. As were my first few responses to Lee even though he jumped in to get personal with me about a post not directed to him either.

If there's gonna be such rules, they gotta work both ways, doncha think?

It just did. Carry on.

• Moderators
It was a response to somebody else who took the subject there. Maybe you should be LOLing at him? Maybe it's YOUR direction that is misguided here? Oh, wait. It couldn't be THAT! Why, it's
Mr. Lee Knight! King of grooves that want to make you {censored}, fight or cry and of showmanship on the brink of destruction!
:lol:

But hey, you do what feels best for you. As should everyone.
:thu:

Hey! You quoted that right off my business card!!!! :) I have T-shirts too!

Archived