Hey Lee Knight: Is this better

wades_keys

• Members

I had a pretty good run of it. No complaints or dissillusionments or disappointments at all. How about yourself? Did all that supposed extra attention to licks and grooves work out better for you?

The title of the thread reads "Hey Lee Knight". Not "Hey guido61". Is this really necessary?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

^ Yes, but Piano Whore asked a question to Wade, not you.

Since when is the rule that one can only respond to questions asked of them? If that was the case, you just broke it yourself.

My response was polite and not personal. As were my first few responses to Lee even though he jumped in to get personal with me about a post not directed to him either.

If there's gonna be such rules, they gotta work both ways, doncha think?

• Members

Of
course
you feel that way!

And yet... there are so many at a "certain level" that believe they've got it sussed in that department and yet are clueless. No... I think it is always a worthwhile endeavor to pursue things like an improved groove, etc.

How you can even suggest otherwise is totally beyond me, and yet does seem par for the course.

Guido! Once again championing musical mediocrity and better wedding gigs!

Man, I hate to see this kind of thing.

Cuz you're right Lee. Doesn't matter how old, how long. We can always learn a little more, improve a little more, give a little more.

That attitude is a big reason why I don't hang out here anymore. There are a lot of FINE musicians, yes, MUSICIANS here in this town that I'd rather hang with, talk to, learn from.

Later peeps.

• Members

^^^ Hey! It's Guido!

Wade completely transformed his groove from one video to the next, based on some friendly and hopefully helpful ideas of mine. So instead of speaking figuratively, let's talk specifics. He applied himself to a specific objective (which he inspirationally tends to do regularly it seems) and he totally nails some input. Pretty impressive.

So where is the beef? Enough of the internet hypothesizing as
you
tend to do. Lets talk specifics. That is what this thread and one previous is about.

Thanks.

And yeah: I'll keep doing this. That's why I spent time playing old country with 70 year olds in Prime Time band. That's why I hung out at the table with Roy and talked Nashville number system and playing on the fly: Roy, the guy that shared the stage with Lefty Frizzell for years, including playing the Opry.

That's why I go see bands and watch and learn. That's why I LOVE MUSIC.

Thanks for seeing through the hype and getting to the heart of what I was looking to do here. Thanks Lee.

• Members

Its about the vocals...it's always about the vocals. Which leads me to my question.

Go ahead. As you know, I don't sing much, but I've been very open at sharing criticisms with the other guys, and will continue to do so. At some point though, it is what it is. I mean: if you're comparing me to say Jaco, or Hadrien Feraud - yeah, I'm gonna have a real uphill climb to match that level of proficiency. Doesn't mean I won't TRY. So: speak up man, I'm here.

• Members

No.

Um..yes. maybe not to musicians but the answer is always yes. Bad vocals and people run for the door. Nobody gives a {censored} about 2 handed tapping technique, Highway Star Hammond solos, double bass kick or Jaco bass playing. If they did you'd see them on American idol or The Voice.

• Members

Go ahead. As you know, I don't sing much, but I've been very open at sharing criticisms with the other guys, and will continue to do so. At some point though, it is what it is. I mean: if you're comparing me to say Jaco, or Hadrien Feraud - yeah, I'm gonna have a real uphill climb to match that level of proficiency. Doesn't mean I won't TRY. So: speak up man, I'm here.

I wasn't talking about you...I was talking about your drummer.

• Members
Wade, why all this obsessing over "groove" and feel issues? The only ones that can appreciate or care about that are other musicians, and they're not your target market. Why waste time on things that don't directly result in more $$? Are you one of those "sensitive artist" types, or something?
:rolleyes::D

Carry on, our Wayward Son!
:rawk:

I guess I am. Stripping down my life to what matters. And music matters. Gigs are cool. But music: that's what it's about. Can't really get this across to those that don't feel the way I do. But I sense that you do. I just {censored}ing LOVE playing music, period end of story. I can't live without it, and haven't been able to since, well forever. It's an addiction, it's my drug.

I took some time to watch some Duck Dunn live clips and I feel a real kinship to that guy. In fact, I'd have to say at this point he's my number one inspiration. I just tend to think the same way he did, with the syncopation and what not. And he wasn't afraid to really yank them strings too. RIP Duck Dunn.

• Members

Like I said: go right ahead. I know the vocals aren't 100% "great". I'm sure Mike does too. It's cool. Ya got any constructive criticism as to how to improve, or are you just gonna say it sucks?

Cuz you can say it sucks or doesn't meet your expectations, but that ain't helping me or my guys and so I'm gonna just ignore you. So: bring on the constructive criticism or just keep it to yourself, please. Thanks.

• Members
Um..yes. maybe not to musicians but the answer is always yes. Bad vocals and people run for the door. Nobody gives a {censored} about 2 handed tapping technique, Highway Star Hammond solos, double bass kick or Jaco bass playing. If they did you'd see them on American idol or The Voice.

OK, then. Yes. Sorry, but the question was a bit vague. ;)

But seriously, I 100% agree. Vocals, vocals, vocals. The majority of group-rehearsal time for my band is devoted to vocals. That's what connects with the audience. You wanna talk about improving your band MUSICALLY in a manner that will result in greater commercial success? I'd say devote the vast majority of the time and energy on improving the vocals. It might not be as much fun to work on harmonies as it is to jam, but it's a far better use of time.

• Members

Weak. Very weak.

Like I haven't heard this a million times. I thought you were a musician. Then stop with this lame ass "criticism". As if I don't know this already.

And stop defending mediocrity. Where did I talk about pyrotechnics? I talked about TECHNIQUE. Just because you have not applied yourself to refining your technique, don't lecture me because I HAVE.

And last time I checked, Deep Purple and Jaco still have MANY fans. So don't tell me that "nobody gives a {censored}". Those fans give a {censored}. And damn right if my band plays "Highway Star", I'll do the solo justice. Same as I'll do justice to duck dunn, Geddy Lee, or even Green Day. It's called covering the tune.

I'm a musician. Are you? Then act like one and quit crying about those that have chops to bring to the table. Did you see me overplaying on that clip?????

Dude, if you want, I can post some "chops clips", including me tearing up "Highway Star". Would that make you feel better about your position?

• Members

The fact that you refer to him as the "drummer" and not the "singer" illustrates the point for me. I liked the music but if I had to give an honest criticism I would suggest adding a dedicated vocalist (I know, no easy task). That way you'll have a front person and three guys who can add vocals to different degrees. I think your current drummer and guitarist and should continue to focus on their instruments rather than switch to vocals as, quite honestly, I personally don't think their vocals are up par with the level of musicianship the band provides. Add a vocalist and the gigs and money will soon be adding up.

just my 2 cents.

Plus I'm glad you're back Wade.

• Members

And stop defending mediocrity.

That's the second time I've seen this in this thread. Where does this come from? Who here "defends mediocrity"? No one has ever done that except to acknowledge that the Music BUSINESS has never particularly been about musical SKILL per se. But that's not a defense, that's simply an acknowledgement of reality.

Which isn't to say that people can't or shouldn't devote as much as possible to developing and furthering their musical skills. They most certainly should. Especially if they get a lot of enjoyment out of it. But since a lot of discussions in this forum come down to "what should my band work on in the XX number of hours we have a week to rehearse in order to get the best bang for our buck...?" Yeah, I'd put vocals first.

And yes, Deep Purple still has a lot of fans. But the truth is that if it weren't for "Smoke On The Water", they'd probably be opening for Marillion. (I exaggerate of course, but you get the point. It was their lamest, simplest, least musicianship song that made them a household name. "Highway Star" may never have even been noticed if it weren't on the same album as "Smoke".)

And if I didn't say it before: you guys sound good and much improved over the last video. Did you drop the "track along to the record" idea that (IMO) was holding your drummer back on the first clip?

• Members

The fact that you refer to him as the "drummer" and not the "singer" illustrates the point for me. I liked the music but if I had to give an honest criticism I would suggest adding a dedicated vocalist (I know, no easy task). That way you'll have a front person and three guys who can add vocals to different degrees. I think your current drummer and guitarist and should continue to focus on their instruments rather than switch to vocals as, quite honestly, I personally don't think their vocals are up par with the level of musicianship the band provides. Add a vocalist and the gigs and money will soon be adding up.

just my 2 cents.

Plus I'm glad you're back Wade.

We all know this. But honestly, we're more than good enough to get out there and gig. We'll add that 4th member AFTER we start gigging. The ideal candidate will have keyboard skills as well. I've already got my sights on somebody....A phenomenal female singer with big time credentials who has already played with me in a previous band.

I'm not really "back". I won't be participating in other threads, and definitely won't engage in the tired arguments that go on around here. I intend to restrict my activity to asking for critique on my situation.

Also, I've got to get things in my personal life back on track and wasting time on here takes away from that. So I'll probably be popping in once or maybe twice a week: certainly nowhere near my previous level. Been playing more guitar lately, and now I have to work on my reading and keyboard chops. I just spent hours breaking down horn lines and recording them, horn by horn. God, that's a pain in the ASS! No way a keyboard player can play horn section lines live without compromise: there are just so many octaves in between the bones, the 2nd chair trumpet and the solo trumpet. So it's neat to test the old ear and pick out each of those horns as best as possible.

• Members

I will try to objective, unfortunately I read some of the posts before looking at the video.

1:26 Guitar and bass players looked forward together at the same time facing the crowd, looked much better than you guys previously looking down at the ground towards the other players.

1:40 That little fill into the open chords on the guitar needs work, seemed like the drummer wasn't confident and tried to "force" the beat, may want to smooth that out a bit more. Drummer seemed to "accent" hat�ass to either keep the groove or get back into the comfort groove zone.

2:02 tempo seems to drop then recover

2:19 " "

Drummer seemed to be fatigued or perhaps "overloaded" during the tempo drops, been there done that, drumming and singing is a bear on the diaphragm, nothing practice won't resolve.

Ending was solid and confident as a group.

Vocals are on par with most "typical bar bands". Does he have a monitor back there?

Bass and guitar vocals: would like to hear more involvement in the harmonies, but for the most part they sounded good, I kept thinking I'm expecting more of the background vocals to really make it full but it never happened.

I do remember the old video and yes your foot tap stopped! I know this was directed at Mr Lee Knight, however, this is a public forum, if you didn't expect criticism you should have sent Mr Knight a private message. Just 02 cents!

• Members

Great observations nchangin. Agree 100% with all. Hopefully working on the back tracks together will give us the chance to get a "tempo lock" in place mentally and stop some of the uncertainties in that area. I know that sounds "odd", but I feel strongly that tempo is a mental and not a physical thing.

Gotta feel it and breathe it and then execute it. And a great way to do that is in the "studio". Hard to explain in text how that can work, but yeah: it can.

Rather than me taking a stance in opposition to another band member, or vice versa, I'm working towards all of us coming together and working together to get this thing as solid as it can be given the ingredients. And sometimes just taking the time to count through a song while listening is enough to get that tempo lock. The rest comes down to execution. What's been happening is I'm taking on more of a "music director" type of role. It's a gradual process, and one that requires the respect of everyone. Not dictating: just suggesting. And of course having the ability to demonstrate what I'm striving for, tempo wise. That's one area I'm demonstrably strong in: tempo.

• Members

Yep. I grew up listening to a lot of rock, jazz and classical. Studied classical piano and all that. I certainly wasn't very old before I was smart enough to figure out that success in the pop/rock world was about a combination of musicianship, showmanship and popular appeal.

Sounds similar to my upbringing. I was raised on musicals, classical, baroque, pop, rock and the occasional hard rock record. It was certainly different from the heavily-played country music many of my peers listened to as children.

Archived