What are some ways to improve the "value" of your band?

roamingbard13

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TIMKEYS

View Post

Thanks for putting up the vids. I think you guys sound best with the girl in the band. The harmony is better and makes a much better impression on me. I think your best bet is to place your effort on getting the music tighter and get the vocals and harmony tight. Things seem just a touch choppy. At this point practice is going to pay bigger dividends than subs or lights. I would not expect more gear being the thing that gives you the next leg up. Becomming a better band is really where the focus should be. Thats not to say you should not get some more gear, but its not going to be a magic bullet that turns out to being key to getting where you want to be.

I agree, except I couldn't hear the kick at all, even though I have a decent sub on my computer.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

View Post

Thanks for putting up the vids. I think you guys sound best with the girl in the band. The harmony is better and makes a much better impression on me. I think your best bet is to place your effort on getting the music tighter and get the vocals and harmony tight. Things seem just a touch choppy. At this point practice is going to pay bigger dividends than subs or lights. I would not expect more gear being the thing that gives you the next leg up. Becomming a better band is really where the focus should be. Thats not to say you should not get some more gear, but its not going to be a magic bullet that turns out to being key to getting where you want to be.

I agree, except I couldn't hear the kick at all, even though I have a decent sub on my computer.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by StratGuy22 View Post
The promo video looks pretty good. I found you (I assume it's you in the blue) REALLY distracting in the one video. Tuning, changing strings, making a sandwich, or whatever it was you were doing. You looked bored and fiddly. Even if you don't play in a song, you have to find something to do...

The girl did a pretty good job.

thumb.gif
I thought they sounded better w/o her. I agree with you about whoever was messing with his tuning and his pedals for nearly a whole song.

• Members
The promo video looks pretty good. I found you (I assume it's you in the blue) REALLY distracting in the one video. Tuning, changing strings, making a sandwich, or whatever it was you were doing. You looked bored and fiddly. Even if you don't play in a song, you have to find something to do...

The girl did a pretty good job.

thumb.gif
I thought they sounded better w/o her. I agree with you about whoever was messing with his tuning and his pedals for nearly a whole song.

• Members

View Post

It prolly has more to do with the recording than the actual sound in the bar.

It looked to me like they were using Yamaha speakers on poles and no subs. So you are not going to hear or feel the kick unless you are standing right in front of it. You keep harping about harmonies but I noticed in that video you sent me you didn't even have a mic. Is it because you can't sing or the rest of the band is afraid you will say something stupid.confused.gif

• Members

View Post

It prolly has more to do with the recording than the actual sound in the bar.

It looked to me like they were using Yamaha speakers on poles and no subs. So you are not going to hear or feel the kick unless you are standing right in front of it. You keep harping about harmonies but I noticed in that video you sent me you didn't even have a mic. Is it because you can't sing or the rest of the band is afraid you will say something stupid.confused.gif

• Members

Did someone say they couldn't here the kick? LOL..it's a {censored}ty little camcorder video.

With that being said- you have the opportunity to have a nice little band there. I'd hang out in the woodshed for awhile though and nail the living {censored} out of these tunes until you can do them in your sleep. And anyone that says gear before talent is simply full of {censored}. I heard some harmonies in there that sound encouraging- work the {censored} out of those and you'll be a better band for it.

Watch...listen to the groove of the songs you're doing and do right by the original song. Im not saying note for note {censored} but just listen and see the difference. Listen to the harmonies at about 45 seconds- not the sour ones at 20 seconds (lol). This tune is three chords. Other than the cool guitar riff its the vocals that make this tune.

• Members

Did someone say they couldn't here the kick? LOL..it's a {censored}ty little camcorder video.

With that being said- you have the opportunity to have a nice little band there. I'd hang out in the woodshed for awhile though and nail the living {censored} out of these tunes until you can do them in your sleep. And anyone that says gear before talent is simply full of {censored}. I heard some harmonies in there that sound encouraging- work the {censored} out of those and you'll be a better band for it.

Watch...listen to the groove of the songs you're doing and do right by the original song. Im not saying note for note {censored} but just listen and see the difference. Listen to the harmonies at about 45 seconds- not the sour ones at 20 seconds (lol). This tune is three chords. Other than the cool guitar riff its the vocals that make this tune.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by modulusman

View Post

You keep harping about harmonies but I noticed in that video you sent me you didn't even have a mic. Is it because you can't sing or the rest of the band is afraid you will say something stupid.confused.gif

That sure is a "dick" statement. Does he have to be a vocalist to know the value of harmonies?

• Members

View Post

You keep harping about harmonies but I noticed in that video you sent me you didn't even have a mic. Is it because you can't sing or the rest of the band is afraid you will say something stupid.confused.gif

That sure is a "dick" statement. Does he have to be a vocalist to know the value of harmonies?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Potts

View Post

No he doesn't but as usual his advise isn't relevant to anything except what his band does. A rock band without subs will sound lame. BTW you might be able to hear the kick a little bit but do to this thing called Physics you will loose the low end because the speaker is not be reinforced by being near the floor.

• Members

View Post

No he doesn't but as usual his advise isn't relevant to anything except what his band does. A rock band without subs will sound lame. BTW you might be able to hear the kick a little bit but do to this thing called Physics you will loose the low end because the speaker is not be reinforced by being near the floor.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Potts View Post

Speaking of Zac Brown he will be playing where I live next month. John Mayer lives near here and is doing a benefit for some firefighters Zac Brown and Clay Cook will be playing with him. http://www.musicvilla.com/john-mayer...creek-benefit/

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Potts View Post

Speaking of Zac Brown he will be playing where I live next month. John Mayer lives near here and is doing a benefit for some firefighters Zac Brown and Clay Cook will be playing with him. http://www.musicvilla.com/john-mayer...creek-benefit/

• Members

View Post

Speaking of Zac Brown he will be playing where I live next month. John Mayer lives near here and is doing a benefit for some firefighters Zac Brown and Clay Cook will be playing with him.

I'm actually taking the trip from Buffalo to Detroit to see them on NYE. The location is weird to me for such a big night but...

• Members

View Post

Speaking of Zac Brown he will be playing where I live next month. John Mayer lives near here and is doing a benefit for some firefighters Zac Brown and Clay Cook will be playing with him.

I'm actually taking the trip from Buffalo to Detroit to see them on NYE. The location is weird to me for such a big night but...

• Members

View Post

Yeah Zac Brown is the real deal. My band has been playing "Chicken Fried" since it first came out. Always gets a good crowd response.

• Members

View Post

Yeah Zac Brown is the real deal. My band has been playing "Chicken Fried" since it first came out. Always gets a good crowd response.

• Moderators
I found you (I assume it's you in the blue) REALLY distracting in the one video. Tuning, changing strings, making a sandwich, or whatever it was you were doing. You looked bored and fiddly.
My thoughts exactly. Subs won't fix this. smile.gif

It comes down to basic showmanship. Looking cool, supporting the spotlighted singer/musician at the time. Not distracting from the show, but being a part of it and adding to it. To be able to picture what the stage looks like, what you look like, how you're effecting the presentation. It's called "footlight sense".

Most times just thinking about it will get you there. Subs won't fix this.

• Moderators
I found you (I assume it's you in the blue) REALLY distracting in the one video. Tuning, changing strings, making a sandwich, or whatever it was you were doing. You looked bored and fiddly.
My thoughts exactly. Subs won't fix this. smile.gif

It comes down to basic showmanship. Looking cool, supporting the spotlighted singer/musician at the time. Not distracting from the show, but being a part of it and adding to it. To be able to picture what the stage looks like, what you look like, how you're effecting the presentation. It's called "footlight sense".

Most times just thinking about it will get you there. Subs won't fix this.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by roamingbard13 View Post
Thanks for all the advice -- the winter is time to think about this here. We play in a touristy area and the bars have a much higher budget for entertainment in the summer.

Couple of videos for those who are interested -- we are working a female vocalist in to the mix. She plays almost a full set of songs with us now. These are both in our smallest venue -- but we are their #1 band.

{censored}ty promo vid -- we are working on a better one. I asked for something much different than this, but we had technical issues with our board feed which caused some tension, and the videographer was working for free because they owed our drummer a favor. We'll pay for it next time.

And our first full-length show together:

My thoughts on the videos:

1st video: The female vocalist is pretty good, but I agree with other people that say the guy that is usually upfront in the middle in blue should settle down. He is fidgeting around as if the band was still setting up. That's something to do on your breaks or before the show, not during. Not only is it distracting, it comes off as disrespectful to her.

2nd video: Yeah, better sound is needed for the promo. It sounds way too loud in there with the audience nearly drowning out the band. The band needs to be the focus and part of doing that would be to get isolated tracks of the songs you are playing (as best as you can manage).

3rd video: You've come a long way, baby! I was actually turned off by the performances in this one. I'm glad you mentioned it as the first show. Sorry if I sound harsh. My band isn't always the best when we play live either, but the other videos seem more engaging to me. I did find it amusing to see the bass player looking over the singer's shoulder to see what chords he was playing on "Chicken Fried" haha!

Archived