What are some ways to improve the "value" of your band?

roamingbard13

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead View Post
you can certainly go cheap. Just don't go crappy!
Cheapo = crappy. Cheap = discount/deal.

Damn, this internet thang is addicting. I really gots to get out of here.....yous guys is makin me late. Hahahaha

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
you can certainly go cheap. Just don't go crappy!
Cheapo = crappy. Cheap = discount/deal.

Damn, this internet thang is addicting. I really gots to get out of here.....yous guys is makin me late. Hahahaha

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead

View Post

true in many cases, but much of the listed genre had little for extravagant harmonies. But proper singing for the genre is definitely up there.

Harmony is the thing that puts bands to the next level. anyone can go buy subs , but they dont have near the impact on pay as multiple part vocals.

• Members

View Post

true in many cases, but much of the listed genre had little for extravagant harmonies. But proper singing for the genre is definitely up there.

Harmony is the thing that puts bands to the next level. anyone can go buy subs , but they dont have near the impact on pay as multiple part vocals.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by roamingbard13 View Post
And also assumes that when I said the music is in a good place now that we don't already have that...we've had 2 and 3 part harmonies when appropriate
since our first gig 2 years ago, although they are a lot tighter now than they were then.
What did tighening up your harmony do for your band? I would guess it really upped what you were getting. The big paycheck tend to come from playing events like daves band does. Upping the vocal game is what got them there according to his reports. When they went to the two girls up front did the trick.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by roamingbard13 View Post
And also assumes that when I said the music is in a good place now that we don't already have that...we've had 2 and 3 part harmonies when appropriate
since our first gig 2 years ago, although they are a lot tighter now than they were then.
What did tighening up your harmony do for your band? I would guess it really upped what you were getting. The big paycheck tend to come from playing events like daves band does. Upping the vocal game is what got them there according to his reports. When they went to the two girls up front did the trick.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TIMKEYS

View Post

The problem with harmony is that there isnt any room for error. they have to be spot on to be effective. In fact weak harmony is worse than no harmony in many cases.

• Members

View Post

The problem with harmony is that there isnt any room for error. they have to be spot on to be effective. In fact weak harmony is worse than no harmony in many cases.

• Members

View Post

but if you are playing stuff like ENTER SANDMAN with no lowend you will get sent back to your garage with no gigs regardless of how well you can sing elaborate harmonies.

• Members

View Post

but if you are playing stuff like ENTER SANDMAN with no lowend you will get sent back to your garage with no gigs regardless of how well you can sing elaborate harmonies.

• Members

View Post

Your point is well taken , but high end gigs takes more than that kind of music still. If all it took was subs , every bar band in the country would be making big money, and we know they dont. Way too many people try to put the big PA cart before the talent horse and just end up as a lame band with a nice PA>

• Members

View Post

Your point is well taken , but high end gigs takes more than that kind of music still. If all it took was subs , every bar band in the country would be making big money, and we know they dont. Way too many people try to put the big PA cart before the talent horse and just end up as a lame band with a nice PA>

• Members

If "return on investment" is truly what you're looking for - having high quality, genre appropriate vocals will move you up the chain far faster than investing in gear. That said however, you will struggle to deliver high quality, genre appropriate vocals is you don't have a PA that is properly sized, properly configured and properly mixed. You can typically throw money at the latter ... however, obtaining true high quality, genre appropriate vocals is something you either or something you simply don't have. If your current lineup doesn't have it - money spent on gear is money squandered.

• Members

If "return on investment" is truly what you're looking for - having high quality, genre appropriate vocals will move you up the chain far faster than investing in gear. That said however, you will struggle to deliver high quality, genre appropriate vocals is you don't have a PA that is properly sized, properly configured and properly mixed. You can typically throw money at the latter ... however, obtaining true high quality, genre appropriate vocals is something you either or something you simply don't have. If your current lineup doesn't have it - money spent on gear is money squandered.

• Members

View Post

but that is what the OP's band is playing.

• Members

View Post

but that is what the OP's band is playing.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman

View Post

yes, that is certainly true. Of course, playing in time together, playing in tune (without tuning live between every song) not having dead time between songs, etc, is also very important.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman

View Post

yes, that is certainly true. Of course, playing in time together, playing in tune (without tuning live between every song) not having dead time between songs, etc, is also very important.

• Members
Of course, playing in time together, playing in tune (without tuning live between every song) not having dead time between songs, etc, is also very important.
It all depends on the level at which you're playing. One of my projects has horrendous amounts of dead time between songs ... we finish a tune, we stop and high five one another, switch guitars, strum to check that they're still in tune, look at the set list, then look at one another as if to ask is that really what we're gonna play next? ... then everybody takes a drink, looks at one another again to see if everybody is ready ... finally, the drummer counts us into the next tune. The dead time between tunes is maddening to me!

However, we've got a lead vocalist who totally owns every tune that he sings - and the crowd LOVES him because of it. He simply commands the attention of the crowd - and belts it out like there's no tomorrow. We gig 1-2 a month (because that's how much we want to work) ... we fill our calendar by telling the bar owner what dates we want to play. Every table in the joint is reserved a week before we play.

All of this is because of our vocalist. All of the things you mentioned (playing in tune, dead time between songs, etc.) are important - and take whatever you have and helps you make the most of it. However, a crowd will overlook alot of the little stuff if there's a great vocalist involved.

Mind you, I'm NOT advocating anybody play out of tune, waste time between tunes constantly tuning or put lots of dead time between songs .... I'm simply saying that in my experience, crowds will "forgive lots of sins" if there's a great vocalist involved.

Archived