Official "Post Your Video" Thread

Potts

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sventvkg

View Post

I'm not a prick. I have lots of friends. It's just frustrating on these forums trying to connect with people because not too many are on my vibe. Most are Cover dudes and ya know, I've been there and done that and it gets old going round and round. I've been interacting on a regular basis on these forums for almost 12 years and there WERE a lot of guys who got it back in the day but most were old timers who've since moved on. I'm getting the sense that it's time for me to move on as well. Such is life...

Might be time for me to start a forum for musicians who are trying to have a career based in original music.wave.gif

wave.gif

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Potts

View Post

Naw man! Lots of us get it. You don't think me and some others don't get it? You and I have had this talk before. It's been years man...like 30 doing this. I'm not out shopping tunes or trying to get a deal anymore. It's not realistic for me. But that doesn't make me less of an artist, songwriter or performer. My end result is just different than someone trying to get signed

People like me are out and about doing the cover thing because for some its fun, and for some others like me ,it's both fun and a job. It's a better job than any other I've had in my entire life. To hear someone rag on my job all the time, especially a job in music, doesn't make much sense

Instead of fighting it, you should embrace it here and go to the song-writers forum or other places that speak more about original music when you're sick of it. Dude.. I'm working on a disc, I've been writing for ever and still play originals. There's nothing to talk about though. I mean we can discuss how I sat up last night for 2.5 hours and didn't get anything inspiring. We can talk about all the tracks I've laid down in the past 90 days that amounted to about 3 minutes of good stuff. None of that is as interesting as talking about the drunk chick that flashed me her tits and mistakenly flipped me her last $20...

You're vibe and many of us here are the same. We just have to find the correct posts to get there. None of us ended up mostly playing music because we wanted to play cover tunes.

I'll toss a little lesson out...I've been without an original product for a long time. When I finish this disc I will be in an UNREAL position to both share/play and sell my music. I know you've done this before but probably not recently so maybe you don't remember. When doing 175 gigs a year, you get to interact with a lot of people. I get repeat customers and most will buy discs. If the songs are good they'll expect to hear them live and I'll easily be able to play, and probably expected to play, 10+ originals a night. That will complete this whole thing I've been doing for so long

But to drop the covers and attempt to support myself playing my tunes so I can fit in a "mold" is ludicrous.

I gotcha..As I said, I can come off as a dick because, I get frustrated on this forum a lot but i'm not a dick and I don't mean it.

Dude, I can tell you've been doing this forever as well. You're VERY good at what you do! That's quite evident, and I would LOVE to hear some original stuff. As far as that goes, I found it very difficult to get that happening when I was gigging 200+ dates a year. Very little time for writing and even less for production work so I understand your woes. All I can say is just take your time, have fun and plod along. Don't worry so much about albums..They aren't selling anyway. get 4 or 5 tunes done and make and acoustic EP to sell from stage. Do one a year and only put your 4 or 5 best tunes on it. Play the {censored} out of em at every gig and you'll sell 1000 of those records a year @ $5 a pop. Use that extra money to put back into the production of your originals and step it up each time. Have fun with it because that's what it's about, right?...My buddy just got back from doing a month at Irish Kevins in Key West and he moved 442 CDs from the stage!!..That's almost unbelievable!!!..and some nice $$$

Here's My story. I quit doing solo acoustic cover/original work full time, January 4th 2010 so it hasn't been THAT long ago! Probably done about 20 or so cover/pub type gigs since here and there. Again, I was frustrated and burnt out for so many years, it took it's toll on me for sure, and it was time to quit. In the last few years I was doing about 50/50 originals and covers and ONLY playing covers I felt like doing..Stuff I dug which as you can probably imagine WAS NOT the mainstream stuff that was happening, and I didn't care! It worked for me though and I got as much work as I wanted over in Europe, lots of money, sold lots of records etc...But...Still I was miserable. The reason..Because I had never come here to Nashville and given it a REAL SHOT!..So I finally did that at 40 years old which turned out to be the best thing I've ever done by far! Not only was a ready as far as the art, but my wife was behind me 100% and everything fell into place to move here. Got here, 3 weeks later had my first song deal and I've had a few more since..nothing big or no big artists cuts yet but it's coming. They say in this town it's about 5 years from the time your song gets out there to when it's cut so I'm patient these days..Plotting along, writing, doing production, going to music business school, writers rounds, co-writes, NSAI events, etc etc..Doing the Nashville thing they way it's done. I'm very very content. The only issue is of course money is tight as you can imagine but that's OK...smile.gif

I will say this, if there existed ANYWHERE within an hour vicinity of my house ANY real paying solo gigs, I would go get them because $$ is that tight. I've had enough time away now and am at a place in life where i'm very confident in doing things the way I like musically, that it would be fun...But man, here in Nashville the greatest talented writers, performers and players from every small town play everywhere for free just for a shot at someone seeing them..It's a non-starter here for $$ unless you wanted to play the game of making the rounds to try to become someone's road Guitarist/bassist, etc...I have no desire...So, I'm probably going to head back over to Europe and start cultivating an original touring career there which should take me about 5 years of regularly touring there a couple times a year which is fine...I can do a ship for 30 days and make about $10K and then do another 6 weeks after that of touring around Northern Europe and building it up. Luckily I have friends and contacts over there for playing there for 2 years..It's a GREAT scene over there for singer songwriter..ESPECIALLY American..They go nuts for what we do an believe me, they do not and can not do it like us so while it's just normal over here, it's a rare commodity over in Europe. i've sold out 300 seat theaters, house concerts and many a pub show over there just on limited advertising, some radio, blogs, newspapers and word of mouth..Just because I'm an American Rock/Americana singer songwriter smile.gif Crazy!!...Anyway, sorry for ramblingsmile.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Not my band, but one of my favorite local bands D5(short for Diminished Fifth), featuring Brent Smedley of Iced Earth on drums (when he's not on tour he plays locally with this band, and one of his best friends fills in for him when he is on tour.) This was shot live at a gig at The Freebird Live (owned by Judy Van Zant, the widow of the late Lynyrd Skynyrd founder/lead singer Ronnie Van Zant.) Great club. Holds 700, and has killer house PA system and Lighting Rig.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Schwartz

View Post

Thanks, Dave!

Here's a Soundcloud file of us doing a traditional klezmer dance tune (no video for this one):

http://snd.sc/NcJDgb

We mix that sort of thing with other kinds of Jewish music (folk songs, theater songs, devotional songs), and we also do Balkan songs, and gypsy songs of various kinds and from various places (like the two in the videos, which come from Italy and Hungary, respectively). We're like a village band from a village that never existed. It's a lot of fun, and I'm amazed that we've actually found a local audience for what we do, but we gig enough to keep things going (1-3 times a month, sometimes more).

Louis

There will ALWAYS be an audience for music that is interesting and entertaining.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Thy God

View Post

Oh, what the hell. There's probably only one or two other people into death metal tops that post in this section, but I'm too much of a promotion whore to turn down a chance to post.

Good stuff and I would listen again when I was in the mood for it... I do like the video! thumb.gif

• Moderators

Wow. You're really good, aren't you? That's great. Nice, really nice, use of your harmonizer. I don't think I've heard a solo guy use one so well. So tastefully. So integrated. So restrained. And your solo? Yeah, baby. You're good, aren't you. Really nice.

But you need subs. smile.gif

Archived