Your groupies stories. Here.

brikus

• Members
Originally posted by dissonance
I swear I've read that Sandy/Candy story before. Have you written about it before because I'm sure I've heard it.

The part about Janis sounded a little familiar too but not enough to say I'm sure I've heard it before like the Sandy/Candy part.
Sandy and Candy have shown up in the Stupid Stories in the LS&P forum.

• Members
Originally posted by MrKnobs

I haven't decided, I have a couple of ideas. The best title I've come up with so far, which is the point of the piece, is too revealing of the ending, which was a surprise in real life and should be here as well.

I'm literally writing this just as it flows from memory, no outline, no plan. I've had to go back and do some slight edits in the earlier chapters for continuity. I actually hadn't planned to write more than the first segment.

It's important to think of this as a first draft, because that's what it is.

Terry D.
Witches call their animal companions "familiars". I think that term applies so far--perhaps you call your novel "The Familiars".

• Members

Thanks! smile.gif

No, I have little formal training as a writer, I'm a research scientist by profession. I've written hundreds of large technical reports, proposals, memoranda, etc., and been published many times in refereed journals of the National Academy of Science. The volume of my work, should you Google my real name, would probably stand up to Stephen King's output; however the net result is somewhat different, to say the least.

All of that pretty much stifles any creative writing penchant or ability I might once have had, as communicating in the stiff, passive voice style of academic research is quite different from the stuff of popular fiction.

"It was therefore determined, at the alpha = 0.05 level, that any cofactors or surrogate variables that could have confounded the model had been systematically precluded by the two stage stratified sampling technique incorporated in the modified experimental design (Someguy et al, 1985)."

Yuck.

Terry D.
what particular field are you working in ?

I studied bioinformatics and mathematical modeling. I have done some research work in genetics and transcriptome analysis during my studies (internships in a research lab in France and in a biotech company in SD, CA), and I got one article published in Genetical Research just before I graduated...and after that I hit the hard realities of finding a job... frown.gif

• Members
Originally posted by fuzzball
Is it just me or is it nearly impossible to find the dream job that we go to college to get?
I would go for the 'nearly imposible' option. Unless you manage things right before you graduate. Aka, if you have an internship at the end of your curriculum, look for a company you're interested in and that is recruiting or about to and apply for an internship there. Make a good impression, and you'll end up in a good position. I maybe should have applied that when I was a student, but at that time I was more focused on adding an international experience to my curriculum...a mistake retrospectively, I think... And now I'm not working anywhere close to my field...but, but....WTF DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH GROUPIES ???? mad.gif

• Members

There doesn't seem to be much groupie story telling on here now....

Does, my girlfriend and the my singers girlfriend, who happened to be my girlfriends sister one night count as a groupie story?

Or how about, more recently, my new girlfriend and my an ex's sister?? (different one to the one above!)

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

• Moderators
Originally posted by brikus

what particular field are you working in ?
I'm a materials scientist. Right now I'm working in the area of transportation. The two projects I'm heading up include one on detecting the formation of black ice in porous asphalt and measuring pavement/tire interaction noise from a moving vehicle in urban areas.

Terry D.

• Members

I would go for the 'nearly imposible' option. Unless you manage things right before you graduate. Aka, if you have an internship at the end of your curriculum, look for a company you're interested in and that is recruiting or about to and apply for an internship there. Make a good impression, and you'll end up in a good position. I maybe should have applied that when I was a student, but at that time I was more focused on adding an international experience to my curriculum...a mistake retrospectively, I think... And now I'm not working anywhere close to my field...but, but....WTF DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH GROUPIES ???? mad.gif
---------------------------------------------------
I have been out of school for a while then I went back after a few years break. I am no longer in the intern timeline. I am working on a masters degree so I can teach college full time (otherwise they usualy only give you part time work.
I guess I got off subject sorry.

• Moderators
Originally posted by THB
You know Terry, you're slowly moving in on the title for longest thread ever. How much more of this story you got?

cool.gif
I could easily write ten more chapters, but I won't.

I'm going to wrap this up in two or three, mostly because it's already long enough and other obligations are biting me on the ass. As I mentioned, I owe a large (20,000+ words) document to my workplace, and writing that sort of technical crap renders me unable to write this sort of stuff for months. mad.gif

There is a big surprise coming at the end of this story. You will not only know what happened, by why I chose now to write this publicly.

Terry D.

• Members

Well anyway years ago when I worked at a local retailer (I wont name names). I was in shipping, unloading trucks and I met a beautiful girl from another department. She had long dark hair and a perfect set of well you know. She was hot. She was very nice to talk to also. One day I mentiond to her that I was in a band, I then told her we had a poorly made cd. She told me that she wanted to check it out. Instead of selling her a copy (like usual I decided to give it to her for free). Well 2 days later she came to me in (in the back of a trailer) and told me she really liked it, then she paid for the cd by giving me some special attention. I must say that I have never had as good of a work experience since. Over the next year I messed around with her a few times but we never became serious (she had a boyfriend).

• Members

Hey Brikus -

You are really a Frenchman, right? I might need a favor from you if so. I need something from the last chapter I'm working on translated into French.

smile.gif

Terry D.
awright, mang...just keep the chapters coming...but just out of curiosity, why would you want to translate some part of your Gail story into French ??? confused.gif

• Members

awright, mang...just keep the chapters coming...but just out of curiosity, why would you want to translate some part of your Gail story into French ??? confused.gif
What?! This story has had more twists and turns than your average mountain road! You're surprised he wants something in French? I've no idea what to expect! I can't wait! biggrin.gif Great work Knobsy

• Members
Originally posted by Base
Hey Brikus -

You are really a Frenchman, right? I might need a favor from you if so. I've been reading this great story, but apparently the last chapter will have some french stuff in it that I may need translating...! biggrin.gif
then ask Mr Knobs, duh... tongue.gif

• Members

And don't forget THIS THREAD, in which I've posted maybe a hundred stories.

Terry D.
A few months ago I was looking for a new MIDI master controller, and one of the sites I found some reviews on was HC. I noticed the forums, and decided to check them out.

Bad idea. It was the thread you mentioned above, and especially your stories, that got me hooked to these HC forums. Now I hold you partially responsible for the time I've been wasting here so far. mad.gif

biggrin.gif

Your stories are among the best, if not the best, that I've read so far on any forums. You should compile them in a book; I know I'd buy it. cool.gif