What sets you apart from other Solo or duo acts?

stunningbabe

• Members

Why worry about being unique anyway? Shouldn't everybody just have fun playing the music they enjoy? That in itself would make everyone unique, but instead we keep looking at what the successful acts are doing. Somewhere between 50-75% of my 400+ songs aren't what I would have chosen to do on my own. I never even play any of my originals live because people would rather hear what they know. I've got songs that I love that no one else does, but playing them won't get me repeat business.

If I still had the vocal range I used to have, I would put together background tracks to Stairway to Heaven, do the lead and everything just like the original recording. But then, it could only be done in certain venues and solo acts get most of their work playing quietly in restaurants. That's where the guy that sings just like Neil Diamond or Gordon Lightfoot has the advantage. Don't worry about being unique. Just do what you do best and do it well.

The biggest quality a solo performer can have is being able to make people like you and being able to entertain them on a level that makes them feel like they know you. Lots of guys can get up and perform to the industry average. Top acts have the secret sauce that really isnt that secret.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My post wasn't necessarily directed at you in particular, despite the proximity of my post to yours. My pet peeve has been an ongoing thing from some of the "acoustic only" crowd here that is getting fairly grating. The "I don't need gimmicks to rock a crowd!" condescendingly assumes that those of us who augment our performances with other elements NEED those elements to entertain. Maybe for some performers, that is true? But the implied blanket criticism of anyone who isn't an acoustic/singer purist is getting on my damned nerves.
:mad:

We're musicians and performers, who by our very nature tend toward an ego that needs to be shared. Am I guilty of it? Sometimes.
:o

But some people here just don't know how to turn it off once in a while. There are a couple of people here, I don't even need to read their posts anymore because I know almost to the word what they're going to post to any given topic, and it's usually something about how "incredibly awesome" they are because they don't use "gimmicks". But the blatant chest-banging and territory marking doesn't make me want to care or listen to their music. It has the opposite effect, and smells like what it is: animal piss and insecurity.

So, again, my post wasn't directed at you specifically, just a couple of things you said snapped my rubber band that had been winding for some time.

:wave:

If you are referring to me, i'm not being condescending in the least. You do what you do, people dig it, it's all good! :) I have my PERSONAL philosophy and views on how I want to be portrayed to an audience and anything I say on the matter when a thread asks my opinon is just that, my opinion as it relates to me. I don't take offense to anyone else's opinion because I'm confident in mine as i'm sure you are in yours. This is just discourse and not personal as none of us know each other in person so why take anything personally? Ease back and do your thing. You do it well.

• Members

You sound good man! :) I've used the harmony processor as well as a looper to good effect as well and you use it tastefully. No problems with this a performance in my opinion. What you are doing is far and away enough to keep a crowd engaged. Anyone else who wants to augment more...cool!

• Members

If you are referring to me, i'm not being condescending in the least. You do what you do, people dig it, it's all good!
:)
I have my PERSONAL philosophy and views on how I want to be portrayed to an audience and anything I say on the matter when a thread asks my opinon is just that, my opinion as it relates to me. I don't take offense to anyone else's opinion because I'm confident in mine as i'm sure you are in yours. This is just discourse and not personal as none of us know each other in person so why take anything personally? Ease back and do your thing. You do it well.

No, not you in particular either. It's more of a cumulative effect from several sources adding to the steam in the pressure cooker. :lol:

Of course, now that I've said my piece and expressed my own opinion as it relates to me, I can get back to my regularly scheduled mild(ish) mannered programming. :D

• Members

stunningbabe, please ignore my previous crankiness.

I'd like to read more about the native costumes and dancing with the tourists.

That sounds like fun. Did you take pictures that you could share?

I'm Afraid not. I am not a camera person. you can call me 'camera shy' :-)

• Members

-I don't use a loop pedal

-I don't use a drum machine

-I don't use backing tracks

-I don't use pitch correction

-I pick songs that suit my voice and playing style

-I pick songs that I believe in and think I can "sell" to the audience

-I pick a lot of songs that I think would be fun for the audience

-I strive to have a bit of variety, while maintaining the song selection criteria outlined above

-I try to engage the audience and get them to sing along

-I don't book venues that I don't think would be a good fit for my act

My duo is piano/keys and acoustic guitar. Our philosophy is like the quote above save for the underlined part: we don't encourage sing along.

We do classic rock and country.

We are unique, just like everybody else... :idea:

• Members
:confused:<...>
The most typical Duo act will be 2 guys who do the same thing as above but with real time vocal harmonies.

<...>

I find it hard to find unique Acts...so I am testing my luck to see if unique acts like this exist in the forum.

Unique - aren't we all. I am unique, just like everybody else.

Uncommon we are.

Why?

Male and Female vocals (OK that's not uncommon)

My own backing tracks (Better than what you can buy on the web)

Multi instrumentalists - here is were we get uncommon. How many duos do you find 2 guitars, a saxophone, a flute, a Buchla Tactile MIDI controller, a wind synthesizer, and a percussion controller?

Wide variety of music - uncommon - from rock to disco to country to Caribbean to Latin American to Cajun to jazz to pop to whatever

Unique or uncommon? Doesn't matter to me. You pick.

Notes

• Members

Multi instrumentalists - here is were we get uncommon. How many duos do you find 2 guitars, a saxophone, a flute, a Buchla Tactile MIDI controller, a wind synthesizer, and a percussion controller?

What makes us uncommon are the song arrangements I guess...

Guitarist does ukulele (we do some Hawaiian stuff), 6-string, 12-string sometimes an electric. I cover all sorts of keys (piano, organ, ep, etc.), some bass, strings (Beatles, Moody Blues), EWI for sax, synths, trumpet and flute for various things.

• Members

What sets me apart from other solo and duo acts?

My good looks and charming personality!

Seriously though...I'm like some of the people here in this forum in that I'm a living, breathing jukebox. I get comments at a lot of gigs saying that I play xxx and xxx and nobody else does. For example:

--For a span of about a year I did Total Eclipse of the Heart. I've yet to hear ANYONE else do it.
--I have reworked LOTS of rap songs into acoustic numbers, most notably the Beastie Boys and JayZ.
--I play the Outfield (yes I can sing that high, but I do have to knock SOME of it down a little)
--I do entire albums on a whim sometimes if the tip bucket rings or the mood is right (Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, Wish You Were Here, SGT Pepper, Revolver, Are You Experienced?, etc...there are others but you get the point)
--Apparently I'm the only guy in my neck of the woods that plays the Police. Lucky for me I'm a huge Police fan.
--I've got 3 or 4 Huey Lewis and the News songs; do you?
--I played in a Beatles tribute act for almost 7 years. I have learned every, single Beatles song; and can play them all. That's right. ALL of them.
--I do a few Jonathon Coulton songs.
--I got to play with the Doobie Brothers one night. They played a large community event in my town earlier in the day and were out and about that night. They happened to come to the bar I was performing at, and I ended up jamming with Skylar (bass player) almost the whole night. A few of them got up and sang with me, too! So maybe that sets me apart too? I made them laugh by doing a verse and a half of Blackwater in a different key/different arrangement.
--I'm a sharp, dressed man. I see all these other musos wearing t-shirts and sandals when they perform. When I'm on a gig, I am one of, if not the best-dressed person in the room.

I would say one of, if not THE biggest thing that sets me apart is:

I do not take breaks. I'll play 3 or 4 straight hours.

• Members

i live in florida... i dress comfortably... nice flips, shorts, usually a brightly colored shirt over a tank... when i'm working the duo we rarely take any breaks as both of us do solo stuff while the other is getting a drink or resting the pipes... when i'm working solo i take a break depending on the situation at hand... i'm 54 and this isnt my first rodeo... i've been performing publicly since i was 6...

i have given this question a little thought and i keep coming up with the same thing: what doesnt make my act or your act different than the rest?

every one of us is an individual with different styles and delivery... i would venture to say that you could pick the same tune for each of us and the performance of it would vary and some cases i'd bet the difference would be substantial... what sets me apart from you? my voice is uniquely mine... my style and interpretation is again my own, and sometimes even the instrumentation is chosen due to my own little quirks... example i used to do the everly bros "dream" on a 5 string banjo in a melodic style of picking... and then after that i would slam a verse or two of manic depression on the same 5 string banjo... then play a couple verses of the red headed boy, a traditional irish tune on it before switching back to a guitar... unique? different? i just call it me making a little noise and hopefully entertaining some folks and leaving them with a smile when it's done...

• Members

--For a span of about a year I did Total Eclipse of the Heart

AWESOME!!

Apparently I'm the only guy in my neck of the woods that plays the Police.

Nice. I do only one. Stings voice is rather high so it's hard to do those police songs justice.

I dont understand the whole "no break" concept. I think the audience actually likes a bit of downtime as a solo or duo, as long as its short. Plus you can get personal and make new aquaintances--especially at social type gatherings.

I have been on one gig where I was actually told "no breaks" and it messed my whole "way I do it" up!

If you are playing with tracks and people are dancing I get why you would not want to take a break, but even after a while if you just take 10 minutes to stop they will have time for a drink and be even more revved up when you get back.

• Members

AWESOME!!

Nice. I do only one. Stings voice is rather high so it's hard to do those police songs justice.

I dont understand the whole "no break" concept. I think the audience actually likes a bit of downtime as a solo or duo, as long as its short. Plus you can get personal and make new aquaintances--especially at social type gatherings.

I have been on one gig where I was actually told "no breaks" and it messed my whole "way I do it" up!

If you are playing with tracks and people are dancing I get why you would not want to take a break, but even after a while if you just take 10 minutes to stop they will have time for a drink and be even more revved up when you get back.

Later in the evening when Im playing more booty-shake music, I still ratchet back periodically and play a few Rat-Pack type standards. I tell you, the number of martinis ordered when I do that stuff... :lol:

• Members

Nice bait and switch.
:rolleyes:

+1

Sorry none of us seem to be setting our clothes on fire or doing cirque du soleil acrobatics.

Venue is everything. I play mostly restaurants, galleries and wineries. Bringing is a circus act like that would get me canned. What I do differently is I play a lot of fingerstyle guitar and I play some classic songs that no one else plays in my own way. It isn't "America's Got Talent" different but it's different enough to keep my calendar full.

• Members

Ditto. Breaks translate into tips walking out the door in the places I play. My record so far is 4 hours and 22 minutes!
:)

Welcome back Pat! 4+ hours is a tough one. I'm not sure if I've come close to that. Three is easy..four is pushing it for me.

Archived