What sets you apart from other Solo or duo acts?

stunningbabe

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Welcome back Pat! 4+ hours is a tough one. I'm not sure if I've come close to that. Three is easy..four is pushing it for me.

4 hrs. is rough and I seldom do 4 hour gigs at all anyway these days. This was a charity event I was relying on tips for payment.

• Members
6 HOurs???!?!?!?!?! WOW!

Yep. We have the biggest bladders in the business ;)

We are used to playing 4 and the 6 only happened once.

We were playing a private birthday party. I guy from Germany was doing business here and rented a house not far from the Yacht Club where we were playing regularly. He hired us to play his party, invited a few friends from Germany and paid for their flights here. (he wasn't poor).

We set up in the kitchen and they partied in the living room. Weird. We didn't even see them except when they came to the kitchen for more food & drink while they told us how much they were enjoying the music.

Four hours were about to expire, and the birthday guy put a couple of hundred dollar bills on the keyboard and asked if we could play another hour. We agreed.

The fifth hour was about to expire and he put more hundred dollar bills on the keyboard and asked for another hour.

At the end of the sixth hour, we were secretly hoping he would put more money on the keyboard, and at the same time hoping he wouldn't.

At the end of the 6th, he told us how much they enjoyed our music and offered to help us take the gear out. Of course, we declined the help and thanked him for choosing us.

Notes

• Members

You guys must not drink beer. . .

Leilani drinks warm water and I drink a mixture of green and oolong tea. We bring our own thermos bottles of liquid.

Warm, clear liquids keep the throat and vocal chords in top shape and protects them from being injured.

We don't drink alcohol on the gig for three reasons (1) it does the complete opposite, dries the vocal chords and makes them susceptible to damage (2) we're working and neither of us can do our best work with a buzz on and (3) most entertainment purchasers do not want to see the entertainers drinking booze - and that's not good for repeat business.

Notes

• Members

My wife and I perform together. We both sing. I primarily play my acoustic, and she switches out between any number of instruments depending on the song. Any given performance she could be playing: accordion, tin whistles, mandolin, guitar, bass, harp, piano, percussion, flute... Makes for a fun night.

We play a LOT of originals. For covers we mostly end up playing some good Irish pub tunes and a few other artists (Great Big Sea, U2, Indigo girls...)

• Members

My wife and I perform together. We both sing. I primarily play my acoustic, and she switches out between any number of instruments depending on the song. Any given performance she could be playing: accordion, tin whistles, mandolin, guitar, bass, harp, piano, percussion, flute... Makes for a fun night.

We play a LOT of originals. For covers we mostly end up playing some good Irish pub tunes and a few other artists (Great Big Sea, U2, Indigo girls...)

Wow...impressive! Can you post a pic of you and your wife performing?

• Members
Wow...impressive! Can you post a pic of you and your wife performing?

Thanks. Here's a few shots of us doing an unplugged performance at a steampunk outdoor "Wonderland Tea Party" over the summer. We didn't have all of our instruments out for the show, just a more simple setup... but a really fun show.

IMG_1317small.jpg

IMG_1334crop2.jpg

• Members
Thanks. Here's a few shots of us doing an unplugged performance at a steampunk outdoor "Wonderland Tea Party" over the summer. We didn't have all of our instruments out for the show, just a more simple setup... but a really fun show.

IMG_1317small.jpg

IMG_1334crop2.jpg

Love it! Oh my....your wife sure is pretty.

• Members
While just about all the folks out there that I have seen are "strummers" I am not. I can play the guitar, my singing is second and I'm nor a bad singer. I can flatpick, fingerpick, thumpick with fingers, fast songs, slow songs, Chet Atkins style, Doc Watson, Blues, R&R, country etc.. I can fill a song with a dymanic, cross picking rhythmn among other styles. I can fill in with intricate, uptempo instrumentals to slow ballads.

sounds great id really like to hear some of your stuff man...
some day youve gotta post a link you hear? ;)

question to you stunningbabe - whats your original angle if i may ask??

d

• Members
:confused:

The most typical solo act will be 1 guy with a guitar...strumming and singing...maybe with a drum machine and maybe backing tracks.

The most typical Duo act will be 2 guys who do the same thing as above but with real time vocal harmonies.

These are the predictable, common things you see just about everywhere.

Are you unique...or the same as all your competitors? If you are unique....what is it about your act that is different from the others?

I find it hard to find unique Acts...so I am testing my luck to see if unique acts like this exist in the forum.

I play exclusively fingerstyle and my pipes aren't too shabby. I'll sing two and give an instrumental recital on one. Or, I'll mix it up. But, the biggest difference between me and any other act is my stool. I had it specially made and no one has one like it. I also make it part of the gig - "See my stool...?"

Archived