do you perform better when tipsy?

stunningbabe

• Members

One night my wife and I were watching a star studded event on TV with two of former presindents attending etc.. Frank Sinatra came on and he had been drinking, it was easy to tell. My wife looked at me and said, "what type of ego does it take to think people want to hear you perform drunk?".

I once went to a Sam Kinison show and he was too drunk to perform. I wonder what kind of ego THAT takes....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anyone of you perform better with some alcohol in your body?

I'm going to assume we're talking about music here...:facepalm::love::):cool::lol::thu:

Yes and No:

Yes - One or two drinks will loosen me up. I'll typically get a beer or two during setup/soundcheck.

No - Eight or Nine drinks will make me sound very bad. The tipping point varies, but it usually is on the backside of a six-pack.

glaucoma medicine...treat my glaucoma...winding down afterwards

So THAT is why you guys need those big, fancy tablets eh? Large fonts for your bad eyesight!

• Members

I might perform better after a few drinks but I don't generally play better. Although sometimes if I've had a stressful day a beer will stop the self chatter that can interfere with my playing. Of course so would meditation but it's easier to drink a beer in a bar than chant Ommmmmm
:)

Many decades ago when I was 17, I played six nights a week in the Strip Clubs around Vancouver. In those days if you had nude dancers you had to have a band. It was some quirky liquor law that worked to the musician's advantage. We would play just about every week, from 7:30 to 2:00 am from Monday to Saturday - sometimes a matinee on Saturday too. I would have one double rum and coke on the very last fifteen minute break. I did that for a year or so until we had an extended stay at a really bad joint filled with hookers, drug addicts, burly drag queens, and over the hill entertainers. It's not that I have anything against any of those people, but as a young kid it was a long way from the fame and fortune I thought should have been heading my way. Suddenly my alcohol consumption went way up and stayed there for a few years, until it hit me I couldn't sustain that pace.

Anyway, now if folks are buying, or the house provides drinks, I'll drink 'em (unless I'm driving) but I'm much less of a party person these days - at least on the gig.

Did you know the Beatles played at sleeze joints before they made it big? Just something that came to mind after reading your post!

• Members

I DO!
:facepalm:

Seriously...I perform a lot better during my 2nd session after downing some white wine.
:love:
I can 'feel' the music more. My girls and me will be dancing more vigorously and sexily once the alcohol 'kicks' in. It's a weird yet good feeling...LOL!

Anyone of you perform better with some alcohol in your body?

As a drummer any alcohol impairs my ability to hold a beat, same as driving a car.

As a DJ - Drink in my hand all night long yup, have to in order to tolerate the excessive whining and stupid requests that come through and that one jackass that is constantly busting my balls to play crap. I feel I'm more tolerant if I sink to their level of drunkeness.

• Members

I'll have a beer a set. Occasionally when people are feeling generous and start sending me shots, I'll do the first one or two but ask the server on a break that if they keep coming to switch out the whiskey for ice tea.

I've only ever played drunk once, and it was by accident. Pulled a double gig one night and kept to my one beer a set ration for the first gig, the second gig by 11pm I all of a sudden realized I was on the backside of tipsy and going downhill. I quickly switched to ice tea on the rocks to make it through the night.

• Members

Neither Leilani nor I drink alcohol on the gig.

I've been playing music professionally since the 1960s and I've played with a lot other musicians. I have never-ever seen a musician who plays better when tipsy. I've seen a lot who think they do, and they may be less inhibited, but their technique always suffers.

If you need alcohol to lose your inhibitions, perhaps you are in the wrong business.

Notes

• Members

I don't drink, but why to people make so many generalizations around here at times? I don't think anyone is saying that when they get plowed they play better. I honestly think that some may perform better if they lighten up a little bit. Drop the insane amount of hours practicing, vocal warm up exercises, Chi tea, finger exercises, and all the babying of gear and just go play some music. Geesh- if one's been performing for decades, there's something wrong if you don't have it wired by now.

• Moderators

It's funny that some people cant perform well without a few drinks. I mean they are decent without any drink...but they do get better after 2-3 beers. I dont mean drunk as in you cant even walk in a straight line...but just a little tipsy.

I don't really buy into that. It may put some people at ease, but, frankly, performers shouldn't need that, they should be 'on'.

Do they rehearse and drink? Then well, if the rehearsals came out perfect, I could go along...but I doubt that is the case.

I mean, okay, once I know all the technical issues are put to bed, I can relax, and could have a drink, but usually, playing solo (and even with the band), it is tonic water with a twist of lime....maybe even in a martini glass, depending on the venue, but....not booze (oh, a glass of wine or one beer isn't an issue...but two or three would be). As a solo, I feel I need all my wits about me, and as a half wit, that can be a challenge... ;)

• Members

It seems some bar owners or managers like it when musicians drink. Musicians that drink are more outgoing and party with the patrons which gets them spending more. Although this doesn't work in some of the classier places. My problem is getting too loose so I opt not to drink at all.

• Members

My guitar playing definitely goes to hell when I've had too much to drink. One or two can loosen me up a little - I've never been a natural on stage so it probably helps a little in that regard - but one too many and I just can't do the intricate stuff on the guitar. Hence I almost always avoid drinking at all until after my set.

• Members

This is a solution! (kind of)

Do a recording:

1) A specific song when sober

2) same song after one glass of wine

3) same song after thre glass of wine

4) samesong after five glass of wine

Conclusion: which of them do you prefer?

• Members

Do a recording:

I don't think I'd care after 5 glasses of wine.

• Members

Do a recording:

The key here would be that you have to listen to them the very next morning and make your decision. After 5 drinks everything sounds great!

• Members

The best way to get over your inhibitions, is to do it sober. Over and over. You will do much better with NO alcohol. Too many recordings of my band in every state proved it to us. Drinking is for when you finish. The quickest way to lose a job is to screw up too much. The owner knows exactly how much you've had to drink.

Archived