Take this tablet and see if things improve

steve mac

• Members

Well golly, I guess I have to assume that you, Darrell, think I'm one of the bad ones.

Thanks for that and have a nice day!

Really Dude? I don't think you and I have ever even gabbed before...Insecure much?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Aw please go get your jollies somewhere else, I started this for opinions and that's what I got some really good opinions based on user experience, I have assimilated those opinions and will in the coming weeks make my decision based on those opinions.

But really life's to short for this nonsense.

Take a deep breath, go learn a new song, just for the fun of it.

All the best (just an opinion)

Steve

• Members

Yea, really dude...who else in this thread (besides Mike and myself) has taken up the "I don't want Apple" mantle? Not really hard to infer it.

First you say I'm not impartial and practical, then you dismiss me by saying you don't believe what I say whilst getting in a personal insult, then strawmanned and godwinned me all at the same time; and now I'm one of the bad ones and insecure. :eek::facepalm:

So then...If I'm wrong, prove it! Tell me I'm one of the good ones! :cop:
Since I'm insecure according to you, sir, please validate me and tell I'm one of the good ones!!!

I still like you and hope that you have a nice day Darrell. :thu:

• Members

steve mac --- I'm just waiting on the next thread about music stands and shorts...so this is the best entertainment at the moment - my apologies to you!

For the record --- I wore shorts, played Brown-Eyed Girl and used a music stand last night!

• Members

Well, I have just been told that my Toshiba laptop has gone to that great server in the sky and therefore as I suspected my hunt for the replacement has stepped up a gear.

Without getting anyone hot under the collar, whilst I know that some here are using laptops and others iPads successfully to both display lyrics and simultaneously play backing tracks, is there anyone here dong precisely that using an android tablet. If so can you please advise me what software you are using. I have looked at the few apps i.e. onsong and chordpro but other than vague promises that something may be available for android by the end of the summer there doesn't seem to be anything else to use. And, that would simplify my choice.

Again thanks for the advice given, nothing beats the voices of experience.

Cheers

Steve

• Members

steve mac --- I'm just waiting on the next thread about music stands and shorts...so this is the best entertainment at the moment - my apologies to you!

For the record --- I wore shorts, played Brown-Eyed Girl and used a music stand last night!

Replace Brown Eyed Girl with Dead or Alive and I also used shorts and a music stand last night

• Members

whilst I know that some here are using laptops and others iPads successfully to both display lyrics and simultaneously play backing tracks, is there anyone here dong precisely that using an android tablet. If so can you please advise me what software you are using.

Steve

Songbook on Android will, if you get the beta version. Here is an email from Linkesoft.

we'll be adding a "Link with music" option to SongBook Android similar

to what SongBook iOS offers in the next release, see

www.linkesoft.com/songbook/beta

• Members

Steve (OP), the drawback to going the Android route is that it is very likely to never have the support that the iPad does in this application (displaying music; I don't use backing tracks, so can't comment about that angle). I just this week took the plunge and bought a new iPad and OnSong, and found that whenever I was challenged with some aspect of using the app, I was able to find help on-line relatively easily. With fewer people on the Android platform using these kinds of apps, it may be more difficult to find help when you need it. While Android may eventually have a range of apps that meet your requirements, chances are that what you want exists now for the iPad, and the larger user base probably means those apps have evolved further, as well. Don't forget peripherals, either. There are options out there for mounting iPads to mic stands which may not exist for Android devices, if that feature is something you'd find useful. In practical terms, iPad and apps for the iPad dominate this particular market segment and likely will do so for a while, if not indefinitely, which gives users many advantage in terms of options and support.

• Members

I did export a few of my backing tracks as MP3, and linked them to the lyrics in the Android Songbook. It worked great but required multiple clicks to start the track and the lyric scroll. I believe the same is true of the iPad app from what others here said

I'm not tryin' to refresh the Apple debate, but there are hundreds of mounts for other devices, http://www.mountguys.com/category_s/1836.htm

• Members

I did export a few of my backing tracks as MP3, and linked them to the lyrics in the Android Songbook. It worked great but required multiple clicks to start the track and the lyric scroll.
I believe the same is true of the iPad app from what others here said

I'm not tryin' to refresh the Apple debate, but there are hundreds of mounts for other devices,

First of all that link is fricken awesome! I'd have to agree with the "app" thing though- at least for Songbook. Why they couldn't just make an identical app for the Android makes no sense. Mike- it's just a double click in Songbook to start an Mp3. The first is to "tell the app" you want to run a track- the second plays it. It's nothing. The bigger issue is pointing the app to play a track when you set it up. Those clowns blew it for the Android version. The Ipad version just has a drop down menu that says link to mp3 and it's simple.

I really wanted an Android simply because of the price. I just couldn't find any apps that I liked or that worked like the ones for the IPad.

Edit: Oh! The lyric scroll. I think some are making too much of a big deal out of the extra click. I'm old and cant see- seriously. I have my font blown way the heck up and out of 200 tunes I probably use the scroll feature about a dozen times. It IS a little silly that they didn't make it one click but it doesn't bother me. What bothers me more is that the developers don't take such simple things into consideration.

• Members

Same sh*t, different forum. Bose vs. X and Mac vs. PC always turn into flame wars.
:D

What else can we add?

Bose vs X

Mac vs PC

Martin vs Taylor

Gibson vs Guild?

Shorts vs No shorts

Anymore?

• Members

Right now, iPad is king. But that will change. Pick your software, hen get your hardware. I am a long time iPad owner, but, I used a 7" Lenova yesterday that was really nice and $200. If the Nexus 7 is worth a damn, and. Apple fails to come out witha 7 iPad, e pndulum will swing the other way, cause the 7 size is damn near perfct for most things.

• Members

I just found out a couple of new tricks for Songbook. Tap on the screen with 2 fingers to advance to the next song. And the other one is tap the screen with 3 fingers and it scrolls...

I also just purchased ONSONG..Although it appears they put way more time and effort into this program, it's not as intuitive. It actaully seems to be a little bit of a pain in the ass to set up initially. I'll goof with it over the next few days and write a little review on it.

• Members
First of all that link is fricken awesome! I'd have to agree with the "app" thing though- at least for Songbook. Why they couldn't just make an identical app for the Android makes no sense. Mike- it's just a double click in Songbook to start an Mp3. The first is to "tell the app" you want to run a track- the second plays it. It's nothing. The bigger issue is pointing the app to play a track when you set it up. Those clowns blew it for the Android version. The Ipad version just has a drop down menu that says link to mp3 and it's simple.

I really wanted an Android simply because of the price. I just couldn't find any apps that I liked or that worked like the ones for the IPad.

Edit: Oh! The lyric scroll. I think some are making too much of a big deal out of the extra click. I'm old and cant see- seriously. I have my font blown way the heck up and out of 200 tunes I probably use the scroll feature about a dozen times. It IS a little silly that they didn't make it one click but it doesn't bother me. What bothers me more is that the developers don't take such simple things into consideration.

Darrel, what you are describing sounds identical to the iPad app. The android has a drop down, you select link music, and a window of your tracks shows up, you pick the track you want to link to the song and they are linked forever. So once set up, when you perform the song, you click on play linked music, then click to start the scroll. Sounds exactly like what you described :idk:

My only complaint is that one button should start the track, and the scroll with the same click. But it sounds like iPad could use the same feature!

• Members

Onsong just updated to include midi.
http://onsongapp.com/manual/index.php?topic=MIDI%20Editor

I think it's an in app purchase.
But in answer to the person who wanted lighting control, this will send a program change when you load a chart. You can also add chords to a chart via a midi keyboard.

I don't know much after that as I just saw this.

Hmmnn . . . .

• Members

Darrel, what you are describing sounds identical to the iPad app. The android has a drop down, you select link music, and a window of your tracks shows up, you pick the track you want to link to the song and they are linked forever. So once set up, when you perform the song, you click on play linked music, then click to start the scroll. Sounds exactly like what you described
:idk:

My only complaint is that one button should start the track, and the scroll with the same click. But it sounds like iPad could use the same feature!

My bad... the last Android version DID NOT have that option...that's very cool! And yes you are correct..it sounds identical!

• Members

But in answer to the person who wanted lighting control, this will send a program change when you load a chart. You can also add chords to a chart via a midi keyboard. I don't know much after that as I just saw this.

Hmmnn . . . .

I just bought Onsong last night to goof with it and i noticed that.

• Members

But in answer to the person who wanted lighting control, this will send a program change when you load a chart. You can also add chords to a chart via a midi keyboard.

I don't know much after that as I just saw this.

Hmmnn . . . .

Hmmm... Android version coming summer 2012

• Members

Well damn it... email from onsong:

Currently Android does not support MIDI interfaces. We are working on a version of OnSong for Android but we are finding development to be much more challenging since it lacks core frameworks in comparison to iOS. This means that we are needing to write things ourselves which takes much longer. We are hoping for a release by early fall but it will not have the same level of features as the iOS version.

Archived