Take this tablet and see if things improve

steve mac

• Members

I have owned an iPad since version 1, day 1. Great investment. I can't remember something I have gotten more use out of.

I also have an iKlip, both for the iPad and my iPhone. One caution is, it slides into the top and does not lock, so if you invert it, it will slide out. I currently use Progressions, but since I recently dowbgrade to an iPad 2 (broke even on my 64 gb3 and snagged a refurbed 16 gb 2 for $319) and the stupid software does not dump your data when it syncs ( yes, I lost like 80 tunes), I am switching songbook chordpro. Obviously, ultimately it is my fault, but, to omit this feature is assinine, and not not make people aware of it immediately doubly so.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have owned an iPad since version 1, day 1. Great investment. I can't remember something I have gotten more use out of.

I also have an iKlip, both for the iPad and my iPhone. One caution is, it slides into the top and does not lock, so if you invert it, it will slide out. I currently use Progressions, but since I recently dowbgrade to an iPad 2 (broke even on my 64 gb3 and snagged a refurbed 16 gb 2 for $319) and the stupid software does not dump your data when it syncs ( yes, I lost like 80 tunes), I am switching songbook chordpro. Obviously, ultimately it is my fault, but, to omit this feature is assinine, and not not make people aware of it immediately doubly so.

I agree it is assinine- sucks you lost all those tunes. Unless I originally assembled the Iklip incorrectly, mine doesn't rotate. It's in landscape mode permanently. Hmmm. It's safer this way anyway- All my tunes are set up in landscape. I'd like to know if I screwed this thing up though- I'm pretty paranoid about the Ipad. I have to get used to it going from case to no case and stuff.

Anyway- Songbook Chordpro is the {censored} as far as I can tell. I pretty much have it wired now for anything I want to do. :)

• Members

So I switched it up tonight and moved the Ipad from a separate stand to my vocal mic and it worked out well. It seemed like I was going to be looking down too much. Naw...I only glance anyway and it you can pretty much see right down the boom. I'll keep it this way I think. Now I just need a cable runner and I'll be looking pretty good.

setup%20no%20stand.jpg

• Members

Darrell, that looks neat as heck, much better. I am like you don't stand staring at the lyrics, but just need the reassurance of knowing they are there if you need them.

All the best

Steve

Thanks Steve...I know- having lyrics is such a crutch even with all the tunes in my setlist. Most times I probably dont even look at them I bet.

• Members

Thanks Steve...I know- having lyrics is such a crutch even with all the tunes in my setlist. Most times I probably dont even look at them I bet.

I'm exactly the same. I cue the chart up, but never look at it while I'm playing. But if it's not there, I can't remember the first word of the song or what key it's in.

I think that's called AAADD (Advanced Age Attention Deficit Disorder).

Or maybe it's just CRS (Can't Remember {censored}).

• Members

So I switched it up tonight and moved the Ipad from a separate stand to my vocal mic and it worked out well. It seemed like I was going to be looking down too much. Naw...I only glance anyway and it you can pretty much see right down the boom. I'll keep it this way I think. Now I just need a cable runner and I'll be looking pretty good.

setup%20no%20stand.jpg

I could get by with that if I could mount my harmonizer right below the iPad.

BTW I don't see the controller for the Bose

• Members

I could get by with that if I could mount my harmonizer right below the iPad. BTW I don't see the controller for the Bose

Yeah I played again tonight with it below the mic and I think it'll work out fine there. I still cant "fly" around on it as fast as I want but it wouldn't matter where I put it. That was an open mic I hosted for June and it had a house PA. That's another thread...lol. I forgot to post my 30 day Open Mic gig.

I had to set the Bose controller off to the side tonight- I don't know where to put it now.

• Members

Yeah I played again tonight with it below the mic and I think it'll work out fine there. I still cant "fly" around on it as fast as I want but it wouldn't matter where I put it. That was an open mic I hosted for June and it had a house PA. That's another thread...lol. I forgot to post my 30 day Open Mic gig.

I had to set the Bose controller off to the side tonight- I don't know where to put it now.

I guess my search is still on for the perfect stand. lol

• Members

Why? Are you thinking you wont like it underneath the "boom"?

Oh no, it's not that.

but I want my VL1 and controller all right there

I'm not too worried about the crowd seeing all of me cuz there's more than plenty of me to go around. ;)

I want to have full control from that 1 spot.

• Members

John, I replied in another thread about a QuikLok stand that attaches to the mic stand.

QuikLok MS303

For me, it's perfect. I get to leave the iPad in a case, because it Can, Has, and Will fall.

here's a pic of my messy set up (still experimenting)(notice the VLT and iPad coexisting?!!)

th_abe94028.jpg

• Members

John, I replied in another thread about a QuikLok stand that attaches to the mic stand.

QuikLok MS303

For me, it's perfect. I get to leave the iPad in a case, because it Can, Has, and Will fall.

here's a pic of my messy set up (still experimenting)(notice the VLT and iPad coexisting?!!)
th_abe94028.jpg

Wow.. that's a mess. As far as the IKlip and it slipping out I 'm assuming a small piece of well placed gaffers tape will fix that problem.

• Members

I am lucky (depending on your viewpoint) because I have medical issues that prevent me from standing in one place for three hours, so I get to sit down. I also play keyboard, so that makes it look a little more natural. And I put my iPad right in front of me on the keyboard. I got some wide velcro from Lowes and I put it on the keyboard stand and on the back of the iPad. That sucker isn't going anywhere. I'd rather have the dry heaves than go back to bringing lyric notebooks around with me.

• Members

Again appreciating the great advice here and lovin' the photos. Lots of love for the ipad, but I still would love to have someone elses input who is using an android tablet just to balance things up. Or perhaps I should just bow to the inevitable and go with the majority.

cheers Steve

• Members

Again appreciating the great advice here and lovin' the photos. Lots of love for the ipad, but I still would love to have someone elses input who is using an android tablet just to balance things up. Or perhaps I should just bow to the inevitable and go with the majority.

cheers Steve

I may be the only Apple holdout! I think the android version of songbook does everything the iPad version does. I'm happy with the Android (Acer A500) in general.

• Members

Mike, any issues with crashing? The only real negative I've heard about Android tablets is that either the programs or the OS crashes. Has your tablet ever crashed? I don't think it is a huge, widespread problem but just about every Android forum talks about crashing.

• Members

Bessie, go on 'n git the Sheriff. Looks like we got ourself a flame war startin' up.

Actually, the iPad vs. Android Tablet debate is very similar to Mac vs. Windows, except that this time it's Apple that has the 90% market share. Interesting stuff. What I would honestly like to know, is do people buy Android tables specifically because they're NOT made by Apple? Or is it strictly to save money?

The problem is that you can't just say "Android tablet" and do a comparison. Because some of them are pretty good - fast response time, good price, good battery life. And some of them flat out suck - motions are jittery because the screen doesn't refresh fast enough, crashes, and so on. It really depends on the hardware and the version of Android.

I love Google search. I like Google Docs a lot. I'm neutral on the Chrome Book (inexpensive netbook-type laptop.) But I'm not real impressed with the Android OS. It's not as elegant as the iOS, and it's not as secure. If you imitate someone and your knock off isn't as good as the original, well...

• Members

Like I said before Steve... I spent three weeks searching and comparing. It was almost stupid the amount of time I put in. For weeks I tried to find people using the Android for what we do and you know what? I found one. He was on the AGF and basically said he loved it and then came back and had second thoughts and wondered if he should have bought an IPad. There's a reason you see pros using them on stage now- it's because of the quality, the name and the apps.

Onsong is the way to go for what I'm doing- and I'm doing it 4-5 nights a week I'll add. The Android version IS NOT the same as the IPad version. It doesn't sink backing tracks in an efficient manner. I'm apparently old school too because I purchased an IPad 1st generation. I justified it by realizing that if I had to purchase just the IPAD AND Onsong for $250- I would have. It's that perfect for people that have large setlists, use backing tracks, enjoy clean break music and a bunch of other things.

Archived