Take this tablet and see if things improve

steve mac

• Members

Thanks again for that input from both Potts & Yanktar interesting perspectives. Am off to the UK in about a month so have decided to hang on until I am there so that I can as someone suggested earlier go and get hands on. Until then I will just have to remember the lyrics (oh the horror). Again anymore inputs, especially from those using other devices than the ipad would be gratefully received. Does anyone for example use a foot pedal to switch songs on their device perhaps via a USB ?

Cheers Steve

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cool beans Darrell! So when you have songbook running, you switch between apps and play the track on a music player app? Then switch back to the songbook lyric? Would be nice to have songbook launch an MP3 from within. I just bought songbook for Android and put it on my wife's tablet to try it out. Now she's pissed at me. But the dropbox thing works neat. I set up my songs using the windows songbook version, and they show up on the tablet. I went searching for songs on the net, and Chordie lets you display the chopro version, and it's an easy copy/paste to a text file into the dropbox folder. The chordpro versions display better than a plain text file.

I am doing a rare Sunday happy hour gig tonight filling in. I'm taking my wife's tablet (BTW very nice Acer A500 for $229 refurb) and I'll do a set without tracks, expanding my song list.

I'm with Yanktar, I don't like the "Apple tax". I'm not gonna get into the iOS/Android debate, but I like the fact that the androids are inexpensive and expandable with cheap SD memory.

• Members

Cool beans Darrell! So when you have songbook running, you switch between apps and play the track on a music player app? Then switch back to the songbook lyric? Would be nice to have songbook launch an MP3 from within. I just bought songbook for Android and put it on my wife's tablet to try it out. Now she's pissed at me. But the dropbox thing works neat. I set up my songs using the windows songbook version, and they show up on the tablet. I went searching for songs on the net, and Chordie lets you display the chopro version, and it's an easy copy/paste to a text file into the dropbox folder. The chordpro versions display better than a plain text file.

I am doing a rare Sunday happy hour gig tonight filling in. I'm taking my wife's tablet (BTW very nice Acer A500 for $229 refurb) and I'll do a set without tracks, expanding my song list.

I'm with Yanktar, I don't like the "Apple tax". I'm not gonna get into the iOS/Android debate, but I like the fact that the androids are inexpensive and expandable with cheap SD memory.

It's my understanding that it does launch from the same page.

• Members

Cool beans Darrell! So when you have songbook running, you switch between apps and play the track on a music player app?

Nope.. there's just a little button that you press when the lyrics pop up. What I meant was that I can still "swipe" the screen while the current track is playing and "prep" the next song.

• Members

Nope.. there's just a little button that you press when the lyrics pop up. What I meant was that I can still "swipe" the screen while the current track is playing and "prep" the next song.

Hmm.. maybe the android app is different? Can you describe how you go about setting up the back track in songbook? I've only played with this for a day, but I'm not seeing it. There is a "Play button" (triangle), but as far as I can tell that only starts the screen scroll. Maybe I'm missing something?

• Members

Hey Mike! Cool on the Songbook purchase. The only thing I didn't like about it was the way it handles tracks (on the android). I guess you have to put a link to what you want to play and I just wasn't having that.

I get the "Apple Tax" thing but I just dont bother thinking about it :) . I got a 1st generation 32gb in really good condition for $225. The app and the Iklip were about another $50. So the way I look at it is I have the worlds best teleprompter and player for the cost of two gigs.

Either way the tablet or the IPad are still amazing technology. I play again today and tomorrow and I actually cant wait :)

• Members

Hey Mike I guess I just answered your question without seeing it. I talked to the guys that make it and they basically said the Android and Windows version were just an after thought because the program was written for the IPad. Why they wouldn't allow us to "add" MP3 is beyond me. If I didn't find my IPad so cheap I would have bought an Android if I could find an app that did everything I wanted. I couldn't find it though.

• Members

Thanks, am trying to do a pro and con list between the 3 options ie ipad or android or new laptop

as I will be using it for internet browsing when on my travels as well as for giging the lack of Flash is a downer for the ipad.

I would like to use a usb pedal to click to the next song which I guess also is not in the ipads box of tricks.

However the stability everyone talks of on the ipad and the fact that everyone and their wife is using one still puts it ahead. But then Mike ways in with he is using an Android and he also uses a voicelive play gtx like me. Oh decisions

• Members

Thanks, am trying to do a pro and con list between the 3 options ie ipad or android or new laptop

as I will be using it for internet browsing when on my travels as well as for giging the lack of Flash is a downer for the ipad.

I would like to use a usb pedal to click to the next song which I guess also is not in the ipads box of tricks.

However the stability everyone talks of on the ipad and the fact that everyone and their wife is using one still puts it ahead. But then Mike ways in with he is using an Android and he also uses a voicelive play gtx like me. Oh decisions

I'll tell ya Steve.. I spent weeks obsessing over this purchase. My brother is a big wig at a computer distribution company. He found me a $400 Android and was willing to give it to me for just under $200 and I still didn't get it. EVERYTHING out there for what we do is based on the IPad. I know I'm sounding a little overboard but it's still a new toy so forgive me ;)

This program in combination of with the IPad is seriously pro. I was thinking that the foot pedal would be cool too but the sensitivity on the IPad is so sweet it only takes a passing swipe to move between songs. Have you ever had those gigs where people are enjoying the music but not clapping ( i get it by the way)? I've always felt that the silence, when I stop playing, is uncomfortable. After 10 minutes with this thing at the gig last night I realized I can switch between songs without ever stopping by simply setting up a "setlist". I actually had to force myself to stop to get a drink :)

I'm also a big "tech" guy. I love gear, I can code, do graphics and just about everything dealing with computers. I "get it" that everyone wants and IPad 3 but whatever...I'm sitting here on my 1st generation 32GB and loving life. 99% of it's use will be for one app- songbook. I already installed apps and everything works great. I don't need the camera and 4g and all the BS. This was a great $250 investment.

• Members

My iPad does charts and surfing just fine.

Initially I bought for charts, but more and more are doing sites in HTML5 which is understood by Apple products.

I also use a Bluetooth footswitch called a BT-105. It works great, yes it's an extra expense, and yes an extra battery to charge, but it SLICK.

As far as processing vocals on the thing, I know what the guitar sim apps sound like on this, and they ain't really good(just OK) and I don't want my live vocal processing to be just OK. and besides aren't we asking jsut a bit too much? I mean, chart viewing, lighting, video, audio playback, vox processing, gtr processing, c'mon guys:facepalm: this thing already took the place of a convertable laptop, and it couldn't do ALL those things, and this is smaller and lighter and the biggie . . . .

10 hour battery life

It's just a great solution to many problems, but not panacea by any means

• Members

I also use a Bluetooth footswitch called a BT-105. It works great, yes it's an extra expense, and yes an extra battery to charge, but it SLICK.

It's just a great solution to many problems, but not panacea by any means

Hey Kevin!

Care to explain the footswitch a bit? I'm thinking this thread is going to be a good reference for the future. It would be nice to hear what it does, cost and all the stuff you've had experience with.

• Members

But then Mike ways in with he is using an Android and he also uses a voicelive play gtx like me. Oh decisions

Just to be clear, I use a PC laptop with my VL play GTX. I'm running cakewalk Sonar to scroll lyrics and a staff view, play the backing, and control the VL play gtx though midi commands in the back track to select the preset for each song (or change the preset mid-song), and toggle the harmony on/off at the appropriate times.

I don't think I will migrate from the PC to the android anytime soon! I just purchased the songbook for android to play around with. Last night at my gig, I used it to play some songs without backing. The next android release will include MP3 playback. I will play around with the beta version to check it out. Maybe it will become a backup to my laptop system, but then again, I also have backup laptops!

• Members

Hey Potts, that footswitch is the http://airturn.com/ BT 105

The main product is really the Bluetooth controller, to which you can add their momentary foot switches. (you can use a Boss FS-6 if ya got one already)

Main focus of the product is to turn pages without hands. The originator is a classical pianist who's big on iPads as a sheet music/live performance tool.

They have just come out with a firmware update that will allow 4 pedals to be used, and depending on the software used, can do more than just a page turning function.

With Onsong i.e. I believe you could start the audio file associated with your chart, or the metronome.

I just have two pedals and use it for the basic function of the page turns.

• Members

Hey Potts, that footswitch is the
BT 105

The main product is really the Bluetooth controller, to which you can add their momentary foot switches. (you can use a Boss FS-6 if ya got one already)

Main focus of the product is to turn pages without hands. The originator is a classical pianist who's big on iPads as a sheet music/live performance tool.

They have just come out with a firmware update that will allow 4 pedals to be used, and depending on the software used, can do more than just a page turning function.

With Onsong i.e. I believe you could start the audio file associated with your chart, or the metronome.

I just have two pedals and use it for the basic function of the page turns.

Thanks! Page turns would be very cool. Especially with having "setlists" set up.

• Members

Here's my new setup....This is when I'm supposed to say something like, "There was a fire drill so everyone stepped out for a minute. There were actually like 350 people there." ;)

That's a reflection BTW...

setup%202.jpg

setup%201.jpg

• Members

Darrell, that looks smashing, but can I ask why you didn't affix the ipad directly to the mike stand, I am desperately trying to reduce the amount of stands I take. Or is it not stable enough for that?

Mike,

thanks for clearing up the laptop usage, I have watched your vids and sounding good, I have never used a midi controller but do love the idea of not having to hit the Hit button on the gtx as I usually remember a couple of beats after I should have and by then its too late.

Cheers

Steve

• Members

Darrell, looking good. I'm surprised you have the ipad in landscape orientation instead of upright. Seems to fit more lyrics in portrait orientation.

Mike,

thanks for clearing up the laptop usage, I have watched your vids and sounding good, I have never used a midi controller but do love the idea of not having to hit the Hit button on the gtx as I usually remember a couple of beats after I should have and by then its too late.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for the kind words Steve. Yeah, my life is so much easier with the VL play GTX controlled though the backing tracks. I used to own a Digitech Vocalist 4, and I would hit the wrong button and send the thing into guitar tuner mode and cut everything out causing momentary panic. Now with it "set it and forget it" I can concentrate on my performance and audience contact without worrying about hitting the right pedal at the right time. And no more foot cramps!

I did download the Android beta version of songbook, and it does link MP3 playback, and also adds an internet search function. That would be handy for looking up requests on the spot. But I am not about to give up my PC/Sonar set up yet, now that I can control the VL play GTX.

• Members

Darrell, looking good. I'm surprised you have the ipad in landscape orientation instead of upright. Seems to fit more lyrics in portrait orientation.

Hey Mike! You would think right? That's the way I had it at first but you can make the lyrics much bigger having it in landscape. I can fit most of the words on one "page" for a good majority of the tunes believe it or not. The ones that I cant I simply put it on a slow scroll (really really slow) and it works well. The scroll feature is cool- it goes from a speed of 1-50 or something. I've found that if I put it on "1" it's not noticeable and by the time the "hidden" words are needed they're already there.

• Members

Off topic, but made me chuckle a little this morning, from WSJ:

Orbitz Worldwide Inc. has found that people who use Apple Inc.'s Mac computers spend as much as 30% more a night on hotels, so the online travel agency is starting to show them different, and sometimes costlier, travel options than Windows visitors see.

The Orbitz effort, which is in its early stages, demonstrates how tracking people's online activities can use even seemingly innocuous information

• Members

Darrell, that looks smashing, but can I ask why you didn't affix the ipad directly to the mike stand, I am desperately trying to reduce the amount of stands I take. Or is it not stable enough for that?

Hey Steve.. After further review (chuckle) I mounted it on my mic stand. I have a laid back gig tonight and I'm going to see if I can get used to it. If I can it'll be pretty sweet with one less thing on stage. I've already removed the white power cable. Someone told me I should keep it plugged in during gigs. Thats not going to happen and there's no reason for it. I'll snap a picture tonight.

Archived