Take this tablet and see if things improve

steve mac

• Members

Well get moving
;)
Did you purchase it for gigs or for home use?

Both, I was going to set up my MBP for gigging and everyone scared me away from it so I got da' pad.

ANd then.......more people found out that I'm back in town and I've been getting swamped with daytime work (construction)

And then, I bought a VW trike and I've been playing with it.

But other than that, I'm gonna get moving. I do have a gig for the fourth but I have enough older stuff to pull it off without anything but my git a mike and the Bose.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Darrell, I guess I know that your right, the stumbling block for me is, the connections are somewhat limited for getting stuff into and out of an ipod, sure I realise there are work arounds but being a pc user, I understand a usb and hdmi etc. also as I am living away I will use it to watch some tv and whilst an android tablet will simply allow this with ipad you have to go through an app. I once had an ipod and changed it for a sony because it was easier to change songs on it.

I have always been a direct route sort of guy and dislike the work arounds, undoubtedly if I was only going to use it on stage then I would bite the bullet and order the ipad, but this thing is going to have to also be used for other things and that is the kicker so far.

We are taking a break in a few weeks back to the UK, so I can visit the folks and also buy a new guitar, I guess I will take the opportunity to get some hands on and decide then.

cheers

Steve

• Members
Darrell, I guess I know that your right, the stumbling block for me is, the connections are somewhat limited for getting stuff into and out of an ipod, sure I realise there are work arounds but being a pc user, I understand a usb and hdmi etc. also as I am living away I will use it to watch some tv and whilst an android tablet will simply allow this with ipad you have to go through an app. I once had an ipod and changed it for a sony because it was easier to change songs on it.

I have always been a direct route sort of guy and dislike the work arounds,

^THIS^ plus the fact that it's Apple. I think Apple products are good for the people that don't like to be outside the box. ;) I like to be able to push the envelop and tinker with my toys. Not to mention the price was less than half with more memory, and expand-ability.

For the record, it's an Acer A500 10" with 16gigs internal, additional 32g micro SD in the slot, running honeycomb, and it compatible with the latest Ice Cream Sandwich OS. Can be had as a factory refurb for $229

OTOH, I have thought about an iPod, an it seems like a logical choice for gigs, but I still love my PC setup running Sonar for Lyrics, and staff views, playing tracks, and controlling my TC Voicelive Play GTX through midi. This winter, when my gigs go back inside, I want to add control of lights. :thu:

• Members

I have always been a direct route sort of guy and dislike the work arounds, undoubtedly if I was only going to use it on stage then I would bite the bullet and order the ipad, but this thing is going to have to also be used for other things and that is the kicker so far.

We are taking a break in a few weeks back to the UK, so I can visit the folks and also buy a new guitar, I guess I will take the opportunity to get some hands on and decide then.

cheers

Steve

I thought the same thing originally but DropBox is a wonderful thing. I don't know how I went this long without using it. If you're not familiar I'll fill you in. It's simply a folder that all your computers and devices share, including the IPad. I simply do all my work on my PC and put the files in the the dropbox folder and BAM! It automatically updates the other devices. I'll give you an example. When I got Onsong I had to format a bunch of lyrics in "notepad". I worked on about a 20 tunes in my office in the basement and put all the files in the my Onsong folder in dropbox. By the time I left the room to go upstairs, dropbox had already synced the songs and imported them into my Ipad.

ITunes also syncs via wifi so there's no need to plug in anymore to your PC. I haven't plugged my IPad into my PC since I got it. Either way best of luck with your decision! :)

Here's the link for Dropbox if anyone wants it....

• Members

WOW!!..Thanks Darrell..youve just made things a whole lot clearer! (if that is a word)

John

Are you talking about Dropbox John? If you are fgeel free to contact me if you have any questions.

• Members
^THIS^ plus the fact that it's Apple. I think Apple products are good for the people that don't like to be outside the box.
;)

I like ya, Mike, and I normally agree with almost everything you say. But I had to call you on this one. The Mac is the de facto computer for CREATIVE types - filmmakers, artists, musicians, etc. Go into the Pixar offices and you find that while the movies are rendered on UNIX/Linux servers, practically everyone uses a Mac. And it wasn't a mandate from Steve Jobs - it was because the Mac has been and is the go-to computer for creative types.

People who don't think outside the box run Windows, because it's what everyone else does. That's not necessarily a bad thing at all. But people don't buy Windows to think outside the box.

It may be true that the iPad has become "what everyone else buys," but you said Apple and not iPad.

Technology is an interesting field. Today's giants become yesterday's footnote. It used to be that Windows had 90% market share, Apple had 5%, and the rest was Linux/Unix/etc. And you had to run Windows because that's where all the apps were. Nowadays people barely ever even BUY computer apps for Windows or Mac, and the home computer isn't where the action is - the smart phone is where the money is. And you'd expect Microsoft to be a big player there, but Windows phone is not even a blip - Android has the biggest chunk of the pie, followed by Apple, and between the two of them they're totally dominating the market. And Android phones have come a long way - they've gone from bad copies of the iPhone to good copies of the iPhone. In some cases with better hardware and a lower price.

The iPad boom has been really interesting. I really didn't think it would take off like it did. People have been trying to make tablet computers for years, and no one wanted them - sales were awful. Until the iPad. And now that the iPad has been such a huge success, there are android copies that range from absolute crap to very good. And Microsoft is a non-player. Again. When Gates left Microsoft and Balmer took over, it doomed the company. Gates was a brilliant businessman and he made mistakes, but never the same one twice.

Google's biggest failure with Android, IMHO, was to not exert more control over hardware vendors. We've got a billion different hardware configurations and a billion different "versions" of Android hacked to run on each vendor's device. That's a recipe for problems and issues. And the eco-system is messed up - developers often choose the iOS either first or exclusively because that's where the money is - iPhone owners are significantly more likely to buy apps than Android owners, and Android owners have a bigger percentage of free apps on their phones. But the Android phone market is so huge, the big players will always code for both. But in the tablet market, that's not yet the case, with the iPad dominating.

Oh, and Potts - I gig with an iPad 1 also. My main iPad is an iPad 3, but it's from work. The iPad 1 is more than capable of doing what I need it to do in terms of lyrics and backing tracks.

• Members

Richard, do you use an app that plays mp3s and shows the lyrics at the same time? From what I'm seeing, songbook pro only shows chords and lyrics. And I also understand that the ipad 1 can only run one app at a time.

On my laptop, I've been using itunes for mp3 playback, and Word for lyrics. I start the song with the spacebar, then click on the lyric page during the songs' count off. Sure beats looking thru song books and floppy disks!

• Members

Richard, do you use an app that plays mp3s and shows the lyrics at the same time? From what I'm seeing, songbook pro only shows chords and lyrics. And I also understand that the ipad 1 can only run one app at a time. On my laptop, I've been using itunes for mp3 playback, and Word for lyrics. I start the song with the spacebar, then click on the lyric page during the songs' count off. Sure beats looking thru song books and floppy disks!

I use Songbook Pro (Richard turned me on to it). It does lyrics, chords, plays tracks, scrolls, scrolls to tempo, searches and imports, creates setlists and just about everything else we'd want for solo gigs. I was one step ahead of you Bob before I went this route. I used to use PowerPoint. I had the song right in the file and when I hit F5 it would automatically start the song and go full screen.

IPad 1 can run as many apps as you want it to. Apparently my kids found this out early because I'm closing them all the time when they're done goofing around.

• Members

Thanks for the reply Darrell. I just found a way to display lyrics in itunes, but I'll have to make an image file of each lyric sheet. Looks like it will work pretty good though. I'd love to see a good video demo of the ipad using songbook pro. I haven't found one on youtube. (hint) :)

• Members

Ouch

I'm listening to a guy at the beach pretending to play over Karaoke tracks and was just informed that he's a local favorite.

I'm so ashamed
:facepalm:

Some have become too lazy to make their own tracks. Makes one want to hurl!

• Members

Ouch

I'm listening to a guy at the beach pretending to play over Karaoke tracks and was just informed that he's a local favorite.

I'm so ashamed

You see this in all walks of life, I am a photographer by trade and am embarrassed at what not only passes for good work but is actually enthusiastically sort out. Then I have a word with myself and think if it works for them and their audience and they can earn a living doing it. Well bloody good on them. Its a shame but some peoples standards both artists and audience, just aren't that high, but who are we to judge?

I was talking to a chap who works the local venues where I am the other night and asked where he gets his backing tracks (he sings only) and he said he just downloads them straight from youtube saves as an mp3 and away he goes. This bloke is turning down work every day as any live music is unusual here.

All the best Steve

• Members

I like ya, Mike, and I normally agree with almost everything you say. But I had to call you on this one.

HaHa, I don't disagree with your stance. The wink meant I was being tongue in cheek. But, there is some truth to the fact that you have to do things the Apple way, where other platforms are more open and flexible allowing one to tinker more.

• Members
Ouch

I'm so ashamed

Ashamed that he figured out how to do it and entertain an audience? ;)

Talent is simply the perception of the audience.

• Members

^THIS^ plus the fact that it's Apple. I think Apple products are good for the people that don't like to be outside the box.
;)
I like to be able to push the envelop and tinker with my toys. Not to mention the price was less than half with more memory, and expand-ability.

WOW, that is 180

• Members

hey Darrell, I believe you used to use Onsong, is that correct? And now you're using Songbook Pro?

IF so what prompted the move? So far everything Ive seen is pretty much duplicated on these two apps.

>>still using Onsong here :)

• Members

hey Darrell, I believe you used to use Onsong, is that correct? And now you're using Songbook Pro?

IF so what prompted the move? So far everything Ive seen is pretty much duplicated on these two apps.

>>still using Onsong here
:)

Sorry for the confusion Kevin! I think I may have mis-spoke when I said I had used Onsong.

• Members

Why won't Apple enable lyrics view in the ipad music player?? This is all I would need. I have been using Desktop Lyrics on my laptop for years and it works flawlessly. So all of my lyrics, etc are stored with the mp3 file in itunes. I just push a button to go from itunes fullscreen to my desktop with lyrics displayed and itunes mini player on top.

I got Onsong but now I have to copy every song lyric into text edit, convert to .txt, use another program (imacsoft?) to transfer to the ipad and link it to the song....and the titles don't even come out right.

For 100's of tracks, no thanks. I'll have to look into Songbook Pro. Is it any better for managing lyrics already imbedded in the (iTunes) tracks?

• Members

I got Onsong but now I have to copy every song lyric into text edit, convert to .txt, use another program (imacsoft?) to transfer to the ipad and link it to the song....and the titles don't even come out right. For 100's of tracks, no thanks.

I hear ya brother..trust me. I have 160 done and I simply haven't found the time to get the rest done. Suck it up though if it's important to you. It took about 3 hours night one and another 4 hours on day two to import them. I'm gigging with it and no more laptop! Whoo hoo!

• Members

I really think some of you guys are blinded. Since I'll be throwing my hat into this discussion, I would like you all to know that I in NO WAY endorse Apple, Microsoft or Google. I have used and continue to use them all, and they each have pros and cons. The right tool for the right job. Displaying lyrics is NOT a very taxing thing for a computer to do. The cheapest POS will do it just as well as the most expensive thing you can buy.

Android tablets are to the iPad what Behringer is to JBL

Very much disagree here

Android tables are more likely to crash

Citation? Mine never has...

are not as smooth with their touch interfaces (when you drag something onscreen it can move kind of jittery

Nope. As a matter of fact, the reason I DID NOT choose the ipad was because of the lag. Everytime you select an app, there is a noticeable lag before the app starts. Unacceptable. So my anecdotal experience here is completely different than yours.

I'm with Yanktar, I don't like the "Apple tax". I'm not gonna get into the iOS/Android debate, but I like the fact that the androids are inexpensive and expandable with cheap SD memory.

A voice of reason!

It's just a great solution to many problems, but not panacea by any means

Another voice of reason!

I get the "Apple Tax" thing but I just dont bother thinking about it

So as long as you're cool paying easily twice or more for a product that is readily available elsewhere...good for you...and great for Apple's bottom line. Apple certainly does have the best marketing.

I may be the only Apple holdout!

:0 I'm right there with you.

What I would honestly like to know, is do people buy Android tables specifically because they're NOT made by Apple? Or is it strictly to save money?

Yes and Yes

It's not as elegant as the iOS, and it's not as secure

Uhh...opinion and outright lie: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/kaspersky-apple-10-years-behind-microsoft-in-terms-of-security/11706

I think Apple products are good for the people that don't like to be outside the box. I like to be able to push the envelop and tinker with my toys. Not to mention the price was less than half with more memory, and expand-ability.

Agreed - I'm the exact same way.

The Mac is the de facto computer for CREATIVE types

Heh - I don't use anything Apple and I'm just fine.

I have a Mac Pro with 16 GBs of RAM and 3 TBs of drive space

What speed is/are the Hard drives? Because if they're 5400 rpm, Apple boned you. And if they're 7200 rpm Apple upcharged you %200. Which makes your later argument about price irrelevant. What speed is the RAM? You could have a mountain of RAM, but it won't make a difference if it's slower than Christmas.

Windows machines are much more "closed" than Apple machines

I don't even know what to say to that...that is quite laughable my friend.

I use and like Windows 7 and have it installed on my MacBook Pro

So if Apple is so good, why do you want/need Windows 7? Uh huh...

Look guys. It's a damn computer. They're ALL "fast enough" now. I don't like Apple's business practices, but Google and Microsoft are no better. So it comes down to personal choice.

One of my biggest gripes with Apple isn't with Apple. The gripe is with the people that buy Apple and then try to tell me why my choice is inferior in some way. When I point out things like the Hard Drive speed issue they side-step and move the goalpost. My first computer was an Apple IIe in ... 1985ish? Now I have (looking around the room) 4 computers in here: One is Apple, One is HP, Two are frankenbox (I build my own; newegg is great!)...each has a purpose and place. I really like a lot of what Apple has done. They overcharge for it, but it is a good batch of products.

Archived