Take this tablet and see if things improve

steve mac

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Currently Android does not support MIDI interfaces. We are working on a version of OnSong for Android but we are finding development to be much more challenging since it lacks core frameworks in comparison to iOS. This means that we are needing to write things ourselves which takes much longer. We are hoping for a release by early fall but it will not have the same level of features as the iOS version.

ahem...cough...cough.

• Members

No midi for android yet? All you had to do was say that!

The Apple tablet(s) is/are still more expensive, but the Android tablets is/are currently unusable for any triggering...

My 2 cents --- if all you need is lyrics go Android; if you're going to be controlling other devices go Apple. Anything in-between appears to be a toss-up.

And 2 more cents --- the Microsoft tablet coming out MIGHT trump them all, but time will tell!

• Members

No midi for android yet? All you had to do was say that!

Well Well Well, not wanting to settle for one developer's opinion, combined with not believing everything on the internet, I google android midi and got pages of links where people are doing midi control over bluetooth and wifi, as well as some USB host hardware applications.

So here I am thinking outside the Apple box for solutions, LOL!

• Members

And 2 more cents --- the Microsoft tablet coming out
MIGHT
trump them all, but time will tell!

My brother is a big wig for a computer distributor. That's what he keeps saying- he even swears by his Windows phone. My argument with him is that everything is now in place for Apple and IMO not many end-users are not going to want to change when they love the Apple products. I know someone is going to counter the next statement because that's what people on the internet do, but how many people hate their IPhone? Not many. Add ITunes and IPad in there and the Windows tablet, nor the Windows phone, have a chance.

• Members

I've been pondering this one over and over and would rather not buy used/refurbished. I have an Android phone and it will be at least January before I can upgrade to an iPhone (Sprint). I can do most of what I would want a table for on my phone with the exception of syncing iTunes. Am I just dumb to get a Droid tablet at way less cost??? What would be suggested to get if I go Droid?

For live use, if I can just easily scroll pages from a pdf, I'd be fine. Otherwise, I would use it on trips for movies/music and some business (like PayPal, scanning credit cards, organizing orders). I am looking at $500 for a 32gb iPad plus the expense of the case, etc.

• Members

Am I just dumb to get a Droid tablet at way less cost??? What would be suggested to get if I go Droid?

For live use, if I can just easily scroll pages from a pdf, I'd be fine. Otherwise, I would use it on trips for movies/music and some business (like PayPal, scanning credit cards, organizing orders). I am looking at $500 for a 32gb iPad plus the expense of the case, etc.

I just got an Acer A500 for $200. It was from cow boom, best buy floor model. Works great, I installed the latest os, ice cream sandwich 4.0. It has 16gig, and supports 32gig more in SD slot. I have Songbook for Droid.

But yeah, you are dumb to get a Droid, lol!

• Members

Right now, iPad is king. But that will change. Pick your software, hen get your hardware. I am a long time iPad owner, but, I used a 7" Lenova yesterday that was really nice and $200. If the Nexus 7 is worth a damn, and. Apple fails to come out witha 7 iPad, e pndulum will swing the other way, cause the 7 size is damn near perfct for most things.

Except surfing the web. I find the iPad screen size to be just tolerable. The Internet on a 7 inch screen sucks.

You're right about the iPad losing its throne, though. It will, just like the iPhone did. Most people prefer "good enough" over best but expensive. That's why Fender sells more Standard Strats than American Strats.

• Members

And 2 more cents --- the Microsoft tablet coming out
MIGHT
trump them all, but time will tell!

Sure.

And the Zune was going to overtake the iPod too.

I take any MS launch with a grain of salt: the one thing they absolutely excell at is missing the mark and shooting the,selves in the foot on new products.

• Members

I'm liking the new android os. From a review,

2. Multitasking better than iOS

That Recent Apps button really comes in handy, displaying thumbnails of open apps in a vertical stack that you can easily scroll through. Even better, you can just swipe an app off the screen to close it. This approach is more straightforward than the iPhone, which forces you to double tap the home button and then press and hold an app icon before closing it.

• Members

I just got an Acer A500 for $200. It was from cow boom, best buy floor model. Works great, I installed the latest os, ice cream sandwich 4.0. It has 16gig, and supports 32gig more in SD slot. I have Songbook for Droid.

But yeah, you are dumb to get a Droid, lol!

The more I chat about the iPad with my neighbor - who is a tech coordinator - the less I get "it". It seems so NOT flexible with external units. I had to transfer a folder to a co-worker's iPad from my eMac. With no SD or USB ports, I had to connect it to my computer...which didn't work. She had to download Dropbox and set up an account, etc. A huge PIA. My understanding is to sync it I need to do it through iTunes.

I get there are more and better apps, and that it does what it does REALLY well, but I don't get why it has to be so hard to use it with other computers and basic tech like SD cards. If it weren't the in thing, I'd just get a Droid tablet as it would probably do 90% of what I want it to do, but I am worried I'd get laughed at, ha!

I was looking locally for a 32gb iPad 2 and it seems most stores are out - online too. 16gb seems too small and 64 too expensive. Ugh!

• Members

. . .download Dropbox and set up an account, etc. A huge PIA. My understanding is to sync it I need to do it through iTunes.

. . . why it has to be so hard to use it with other computers and basic tech like SD cards. If it weren't the in thing, I'd just get a Droid tablet as it would probably do 90% of what I want it to do, but I am worried I'd get laughed at, ha!

Dude, Dropbox was easy to get going, sorry it was a pain for you, but 'basic tech' you speak off is actually 'old tech'. everything is going Cloud these days, and not having to keep track of the tiny card(s), that are hard to label, well, it is much easier for me to start an account online.

I'm older school and like to have my data "in hand" so yeah backing up thru iTunes is necessary (I hate iTunes too) but to me the ease of just using the WiFi is SIMPLER than which data disk/CD/card did I bring (or not bring, is what used to happen to me alot)

Try it, I think you'll like it once used to changing some of your personal methods.

As far as expense, well, that's the price of addmission. If too high don't stop getting you an android because of others opinions.

Tablets for lyrics/chords just ROCK!!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I wasn't able to find this via the search function, so bear with me if this has already been discussed. Yesterday my significant other bought me a blackberry PlayBook on a whim. So far, so good. For 150 bucks, it's great, albeit a bit light in the app department. Speaking of which, is anyone using a PlayBook for lyrics / chords onstage? If so, how's it working for you? What apps are you running?

Mike

• Members

As the OP you can imagine I went though just about all of the tablet info that was available and ended up with an IPad and a nexus7 the latter being the same size as the Blackberry. Now the nexus is amazing better speedier and easier to use than the IPad but it has now gone to the wife as it was just too small to use for my old eyes when strapped to a mike stand I fear that the play book would be the same.

Cheers Steve

• Members

The camera connection kit for $29 mutes the point of no usb/sd card.

Re the 7 inch size, yes, it has limits, but honestly, 7 incher, video out to a mounted 21 cheap lcd....voila!

You have to jailbreak an iPad to get video out. Not hard but required and I'm not sure you can do it simultaneously with using a usb/sd card

• 7 months later...
  • Members

steve mac wrote:

My laptop which I so far only use for lyrics is on its way out at 4 yrs old and so its time for a new device to display lyrics and experiment with playing backing tracks.

Whilst the posts on here in relation to tablets have been v helpful am still struggling to understand some basics having never used one.

Firstly I understand that an iPad is the daddy of tablets but just how do you get backing tracks onto it, as there doesnt seem to be a usb? also how do you get the sound out? via the earphone socket?

Would an android tablet give me more flexibility as I understand that the system is not as closed as apple.

Should I stay with what I know and just buy another laptop.

Oh bugger it, can you just please tell me what to buy.

thanks Steve

Hello guys looking to get my first tab. Which is the best option under budget of $600? I would love to get best one in market

• Members

JulianTaylor wrote:

steve mac wrote:

My laptop which I so far only use for lyrics is on its way out at 4 yrs old and so its time for a new device to display lyrics and experiment with playing backing tracks.

Whilst the posts on here in relation to tablets have been v helpful am still struggling to understand some basics having never used one.

Firstly I understand that an iPad is the daddy of tablets but just how do you get backing tracks onto it, as there doesnt seem to be a usb? also how do you get the sound out? via the earphone socket?

Would an
give me more flexibility as I understand that the system is not as closed as apple.

Should I stay with what I know and just buy another laptop.

Oh bugger it, can you just please tell me what to buy.

thanks Steve

Hello guys looking to get my first tab. Which is the best option under budget of $600? I would love to get best one in market

Waitng for good suggestions..

Archived