Finger length and neck radius

• Members

I've never really thought about it. My medium-ish fingers have been happy with a variety of fingerboard types, feeling like they were just a part of the guitar's character. The width of the neck, thickness and shape make much more difference.

Edited by Ancient Mariner
  • Thanks 1

• Members
On 2/16/2024 at 8:40 PM, Paul and the 7.5 said:

I truly believe for me anyway, long thin fingers work the best with a tight radius, 7.5. My fingers are always bent in a round inward position. Does anyone else feel the same way about this. Just curious. Cheers everyone!

My long fingers don’t like 71/2 , 91/2 and 12 are the most comfortable . 
Perhaps it’s just whatever a person is accustomed to 

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Ancient Mariner said:

I've never really thought about it. My medium-ish fingers have been happy with a variety of fingerboard types, feeling like they were just a part of the guitar's character. The width of the neck, thickness and shape make much more difference.

I agree...when one owns over a dozen guitars, electric and acoustic, one learns to adjust accordingly.  Fretboard radius is a consideration, but certainly not a deal killer, if you like everything else about the instrument.

On 2/16/2024 at 5:40 PM, Paul and the 7.5 said:

I truly believe for me anyway, long thin fingers work the best with a tight radius, 7.5. My fingers are always bent in a round inward position. Does anyone else feel the same way about this. Just curious. Cheers everyone!

I have to ask how many guitars you have...with a 7.5 radius?

I have a few, Fenders and such. Much depends on what you are used to; I will say that barre chords feel 'easier' on a 7.5, but for single note riffage, I like a flatter board...YMMV. Somewhere in the 9.5-12" zone gives me more 'bend' space...which is not to say I don't play essentially the same, but there are [now] innate adjustments I make from guitar to guitar.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Posted (edited)

When it comes to fretboard radius on guitars, finger length and hand shape matter. Longer, thinner fingers often prefer tighter radius fretboards, like 7.5", because they match the natural curvature of fingertips, offering a comfortable "cupped" feeling and easier finger stretches. These tighter radii also provide better control for techniques like fingerpicking or lead lines. However, comfort varies, so it's essential to try different guitars to find what suits your hand and playing style best.

Edited by nethanpaul

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 2/19/2024 at 3:00 AM, daddymack said:

.........when one owns over a dozen guitars, electric and acoustic, one learns to adjust accordingly.  Fretboard radius is a consideration, but certainly not a deal killer, if you like everything else about the instrument.

Yes. I own different guitars too: acoustic, classical and electric (so that's neck widths ranging from 40mm to 52mm) and I switch between them without thinking about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

There is a connection between finger length and preferred neck radius! Longer fingers can conform to a curved fretboard more easily, making a tighter radius (7.5") feel more comfortable for you. This allows for a more natural finger placement and easier fretting.

However, this is not a universal experience. Some players with long fingers may prefer a flatter neck for faster playing styles. Ultimately, the best way to find your preference is to try out guitars with different neck radii and see what feels most comfortable for you.

• Moderators
On 4/15/2024 at 6:09 AM, nethanpaul said:

There is a connection between finger length and preferred neck radius! Longer fingers can conform to a curved fretboard more easily, making a tighter radius (7.5") feel more comfortable for you. This allows for a more natural finger placement and easier fretting.

However, this is not a universal experience. Some players with long fingers may prefer a flatter neck for faster playing styles. Ultimately, the best way to find your preference is to try out guitars with different neck radii and see what feels most comfortable for you.

you keep saying this...how many guitars do you own? do they all have the same radius....?

• Members

Me, I don't notice the different radius. Or, let me rephrase that, it's not a conscience decision when buying a guitar. Got over 50 guitars, and can pick up anyone, and get used to it in a matter of milliseconds.

• Thanks 1