Amazed at $60 SSS generic Strat off eBay

guitargo25

• Members

I just needed something for the time being, I'm very particular what I've been looking for in an HH (so no static via PC like my SSS did years ago, but I also like HH tone despite if there's a workaround or noiseless SSS coils), I recently returned both the revstar and then a Guild surfliner for 'the feel' I wasn't used to which is a strat body and palm muting seemed way better on a strat type bridge. 

I haven't been guitar shopping since returning those a few months ago but I just impulse bought one of these $60 free delivery strats off eBay and I almost feel guilty with how well it's made and everything I'm baffled how this is possible, I don't know much about guitars and yes it's brand new so that helps but it feels just like any strat in the store, I used to play just a $125 guitar center Squire strat , this is basically the same. 

The materials have got to cost at least $25 and that's being generous I would think materials are $60 min, then I know it's probably made in some place where $5 US dollars is like a whole month's pay but still delivery must have cost about $15 and that's being generous too I've sold over $250,000.00 gross profit on eBay over the years and even with my discount I don't think I could mail this for less than like $22, plus the eBay fees, plus the storage costs and everything else, this just seems like a race to the bottom for $4 profit or something I don't get it. 

I think for most beginner or even intermediate players who want a strat that this is just fine, and despite coil quality, I've read even cheap coils nowadays are much 'better' than top of the lines from vintage etc, and FWIW coils aren't even that expensive I thought liek synthesizers or something that coils are the sound source so there might be some really pricey ones but most great coils are only like $100 a set or something it's basically just copper wound over metal and maybe wax dipped.

It even came with a soft bag and 6 foot cable. All this for $4 profit?!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...