How many amps and why?

badpenguin

• Members

Ok, I stopped gigging a while back, and yet I still have WAY too many amps. how many do you have, and why? I'll start:

Roland Blues Cube. (early 90's version) Transistor amp that does almost everything well without the need for pedals. 60 watts of Fenderish bliss.

Roland Bolt 60. Tube hybrid. Again 60 watts that after changing the pre-amp tube from an AX 7, to an AU7, came alive. Darker sounding than the cube.

Carvin SX200. 100 watts of transistor power, loud. VERY loud. On the bright side of things, but takes pedals extremely well, and can be quite versatile. (Reasonably light too!)

Epiphone 5 watt tube amp. Uhh, it was cheap, and sounds good.

Gibson G10. 10 watts of that wonderful transistor 70's tone. Takes pedals well, with tremolo. And it was cheap.

Yamaha THR10. Perfect little recording amp, lots of tones, and records superbly.

Roland BN60 Bass amp. Used it for a LONG time and love it. if I need more power, I plug it into the board. BEAUTIFUL chorus!

Ibanez GX40 bass. It was 20 bucks, and my cats love it as a scratching post.

• Moderators

well, I am still 'gigging', but not regularly like I used to [2-3x/wk], so I did let go of one amp about a year and a half a go....that was a little 20W 1x12 Crate V20[?]

Still in the collection:

An Epiphone 'Galaxie 10' 10W 1x10 tube amp, nice cleans, mics up well, small light, portable, can't hang with a drummer. My 'living room' amp...

Two blonde Blues Juniors [last year of USA build, first year of Mexico build], both modded [standby switch, speaker swap, solid state pre-amp tubes]. My workhorse amps for jam hosting and big outdoor stage work [with an a+b/Y pedal]

A Vox NightTrain 15W 1x12 tube amp. Gets great classic Vox 'heat', digital reverb is passable.

A BlackStar HT-20 Studio, 20W 1x12, covers a wide swath of tones from Fender to Marshall quite well, my 'side gig' go-to for that reason.

An Epiphone Valve Junior 5W 1x8 [this amp has been sitting on the bench now for four years waiting some additional mods I just keep putting off...I don't really need the amp...because I also have

A Fender 5W 1x6 Champion 600, upgraded speaker and tubes, can go from deliciously sparkly to gutbucket nasty by turning up the guitar volume. This is my 'test amp' for new guitars...if I don't like how it sounds through the '600', it doesn't stay.

A late 40s/early 50s Magnatone lap steel amp...goes with my late 40s/early 50s Magnatone lap steel....both MOTS bakelite.

A Harmony 'Pro 3000' solid state 1x10. I 'inherited' this after an old friend passed away. I replaced the speaker for him a decade before he passed....I have tried to trade it in or sell it to no avail...no one seems to want it. I have never played with it...probably only plugged into it once...to test it.

A Quilter Aviator 200W solid state head..picked up used, and I actually like it! Only gigged once...so far.

A blonde Fender Super Champ XD, 15W 1x10, which has failed yet again, sitting on the bench waiting analysis....meh, fun amp, weak design, 'A' channel is very BF Princeton-ish.

A 1964 Fender BF Vibrolux Reverb 35W, 2x10... owned since 1972. The holy grail amp...semi-retired...big stage and studio work only.

there are some old PA power amps and a little Ampeg bass practice amp and pairs of Alto powered speakers [8", 10" and 15"] buried in the 'gear closet'...I think that covers it

• Members

Roland Micro Tube- battery operated. Great during a power outage

Fender 76 Silverface Champ - because it's vintage

Fender Super Champ XD - I thought I needed something with digital fx. I use it on the small gigs b/c of it's ease connecting to a PA

Orange Brent Hines Terror - amazing deal

Kustom Defender V50 - another amazing deal put with some power

Marshall DSL 5c modded w/12” Greenback - I hadn't owned a Marshall and at the time b/c of neighbors I needed low power

Marshall DSL 1h 50th Anniversary - Cool little amp with low power break up

VHT Special 6 Ultra head - checks my low power needs and really sounds great

Vox AC15 - I bought a Gretsch and was looking for that chime.

Bugera 1960 - another great deal that will blow the doors off

SLL 5watt (made from an Akai/Roberts tube r to r) - interesting low power amp that is versatile.

I have started to think about thinning out the collection.

Edited by xStonr

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I'm in the process of selling. Then I'll buy, quality over quantity. (Edit: I already started buying :facepalm:)(wife: :bangheadonwall:)(Me: 😇😘)

Selling/sold:

MESA Lone Star 100-watt head (sounds awesome in 10-watt Tweed mode)(needs a bias-ad mod to really cook in 50/100 watt modes).

Benson Monarch 10-watt head (has gone up in value from $1,800 to nearly $3,000!)(My modded Princeton does this at nearly one-third the cost)

Ceriatone Express 30-watt head (Trainwreck clone)(breaks up too early)(disappointment - you get what you pay for)

Blu Guitar Amp1 Iridium (Eh. Great for travel, not so great at home.)

Guitars selling: Suhr Strat-like(?); Gibson 1988 LP Custom; 1880's Martin Parlor; 60th Anniversary American Strat; and a $hi^ ton of pedals.

Keeping:

Marshall 1986 JCM 800 2203, with matching 4x12, both with beautiful faded-to-brown basketweave, in very good condition. (I use the cab for everything but the Princeton - all going through a KHE switcher and a Fryette 50-watt Power Station)(pedals: TCE tuner, Hyper Luminal compressor, Wampler Euphoria; in loop on Fryette: Keeley Dark Side, Keeley Dynatrem, TCE Flashback, Neunaber Immerse reverb, TCE Wiretap riff recorder.

ENGL Fireball 100 (breathes fire😉)(I live in the country😁). I prefer the clean channel cranked over the high gain channel.

Fender 65 Princeton reissue, Sweetwater special edition 12-inch, tweed (mods include MercMag output tranny with 8 and 16-ohm taps - stock Princeton has just 8, and a mod-kit from Fromel Amps in Seattle).

Bedrock 1200 50-watt head (best amp I ever owned, when it was new; not now😢). Just ordered a completely wired JCM 800 50-watt turret board to replace the PCB mess. It will be called and labelled a Bedrock-Marshall.

Soldano Mini (eh)

Yamaha THR (eh)

Cabs: Marshall 4x12; MESA 2x12; ENGL 2x12; Home-made 2x12; Port City OS 1x12.

Buying:

Another ENGL 2x12 cab. I'm swapping out the two Vintage 30's for a WGS12L and a Celestion G12H-30 Anniversary. To use two cabs spaced out a bit. May sell the Marshall if I like this setup.

Amplified Nation Dumble clone, not sure which. They are all good.

Wish list:

Magnatone Panoramic Stereo head.

Late 70's Marshall JMP master volume 50-watt, two input. To sell the JCM if.

Friedman Phil X (or possibly a Bogner Helios). But not if I get the Marshall first.

Either a Dr. Z Z-Wreck or a Matchless HC-30.

Edited by Hoot Owl

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't even know what amps I have any more, though I am still gigging.

Main amp these days is a 5W SE design based around the Epi VJ but with negative feedback to make it clean up a little.

Vox Handbag for practice.

Pignose G40V

Home-build installed in a Marshall MG30 cab - pentode preamp for chime with IIRC a 6SJ7 power valve

Home built Madamp A15 in an enormously heavy ply cab + 60s G12M

Tube 30 - 2 X 6L6 power stage, modded preamp for less suckage.

Ceriatone 18 Watt trem in a chocolate custom cab with 60s G12H

Tech 21 Trademark 60

Vox AC30, owned since I was 17 (now 62). Retired, one of the speakers had a hole in the cone and it needs a cap job.

A few home-built and vintage chassis laying around.

That's what I remember right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted (edited)
On 2/23/2024 at 6:12 AM, badgersghost said:

Bogner Helios and Carr Rambler.

I'm interested in a Helios, probably a 50-watter. But I recently caught wind of this. The touch sensitivity is supposed to be off the charts. Too bad they labelled the front panel like a first-grader.:facepalm:

Phil X Signature

PHIL X SIGNATURE - Friedman Amplification

Edited by Hoot Owl

• 1 month later...