D'Angelico Premier

Dan Furr55

• Members

Which Premier? It's a series in the  Dangelico line up. They are mostly made overseas now, but at one time they were the cats pajamas of Jazz box guitars.

Great reviews on them from what I have read in the past. Can't beat the price.

My old next door neighbor and good friend started taking lessons at 8 years old. He fell off his bicycle shortly after and broke his collar bone. He never played guitar again. Somewhere in his mid 50's he took it back up. He told me he plays a  Dangelico jazz box. I think he said he has a strat  a tele, plus a Martin OM 18.

His son took up trumpet and a plays a bit of guitar I was told. That's how he got started back with the guitar.

• Members

On 9/19/2020 at 12:33 AM, Dan Furr55 said:

Folks, what do you think of a Dangelico Premier? I got it used at a good price and it has great action. 

The Premier is a line, which model do you have? Is it electric? Acoustic? Solid body? Hollow? Semi hollow?

I have a fully hollow Excel model, the EXH-1SH that I got off of feebay as a  broken neck husk for the STUPID price of $89.

Arguably, one of the NICEST guitars action, feel, and tone wise I have ever touched! Yes it has mismatched parts, and an ok neck pickup, but it still is damn near perfect.

• Moderators

Okay, back to square one, Dan...which Premier?  DAPDCSBKCSB maybe a Premier 'DC'?

I have an early Premier 'DC', in black, which is their take on a ES335. It was a 'stupid deal of the day' thing a couple years back, so it had all the 'bling' included, not the stop tail. They no longer offer the stairstep tail piece on the Premier 'DC' models [only the 'SS' and EXL-1], which is too bad, it set it apart. I had lusted after a D'Angelico since I played [a real 1930s] one in 1971 at Alex Music in NYC. When this popped up, I had to pull the trigger, sight unseen, untouched...

this is it 

I'll be frank, I have other guitars I like better. But I paid 'half price', with the gig bag included, so I'm happy with it.

I guess it is more about the body size/shape than anything else; I have an ES135 and I'm still not 'comfy' with that after almost 20 years. The 'DC' makes a nice 'hi-end' visual statement with the fancy tailpiece, metal truss cover, stepped pickguard and that oversize headstock [which made finding a hard case difficult!]. It can get a nice growl, but the p-ups don't have a lot of 'bite' on their own. I know they changed their p-up supplier a while back, so that likely is no longer an issue. I'm tempted to put humbucker-sized P-90s in it...but that likely won't happen.

• 2 months later...
  • Members
On 9/29/2020 at 7:00 PM, daddymack said:

Okay, back to square one, Dan...which Premier?  DAPDCSBKCSB maybe a Premier 'DC'?

I have an early Premier 'DC', in black, which is their take on a ES335. It was a 'stupid deal of the day' thing a couple years back, so it had all the 'bling' included, not the stop tail. They no longer offer the stairstep tail piece on the Premier 'DC' models [only the 'SS' and EXL-1], which is too bad, it set it apart. I had lusted after a D'Angelico since I played [a real 1930s] one in 1971 at Alex Music in NYC. When this popped up, I had to pull the trigger, sight unseen, untouched...

this is it 

I'll be frank, I have other guitars I like better. But I paid 'half price', with the gig bag included, so I'm happy with it.

I guess it is more about the body size/shape than anything else; I have an ES135 and I'm still not 'comfy' with that after almost 20 years. The 'DC' makes a nice 'hi-end' visual statement with the fancy tailpiece, metal truss cover, stepped pickguard and that oversize headstock [which made finding a hard case difficult!]. It can get a nice growl, but the p-ups don't have a lot of 'bite' on their own. I know they changed their p-up supplier a while back, so that likely is no longer an issue. I'm tempted to put humbucker-sized P-90s in it...but that likely won't happen.

I have a ES 135 with classic 57 pups.

They have thick fat necks. Not my favorite, but they sound nice.

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Dan Furr55 said:

It looks like a 335. Yesterday I tried to adjust the action on my Gretsch, and I cant match the D,angelico . 

Okay, so that is a 'DC'...stop tail or the 'stepped tail' piece? Looks like they are killing off the 'stepped tails' on the Premier level...too bad, glad I got mine when I did.

D'Angelico Premier Series DC Semi-Hollowbody Electric Guitar with Stairstep Tailpiece Black

1 hour ago, Mikeo said:

I have a ES 135 with classic 57 pups.

They have thick fat necks. Not my favorite, but they sound nice.

yes, I know, we have discussed this numerous times, same color and everything...we're like twins, man....😉

• daddymack changed the title to D'Angelico Premier
  • 5 months later...
  • Members
On 12/6/2020 at 10:54 AM, daddymack said:

Okay, so that is a 'DC'...stop tail or the 'stepped tail' piece? Looks like they are killing off the 'stepped tails' on the Premier level...too bad, glad I got mine when I did.

D'Angelico Premier Series DC Semi-Hollowbody Electric Guitar with Stairstep Tailpiece Black

yes, I know, we have discussed this numerous times, same color and everything...we're like twins, man....😉

Like brothers from another mother, we are.