Gibson model closest to Martin D-28

Troubador

• Members

anything in the Godin family of manufacturers that is worth checking out as a budget friendly alternative? i've only played Art & Lutherie and Seagull enough to have an opinion on those.  I've always been curious about Simon & Patrick. and Norman 

edit: i went and did some reading.. apparently most of Norman is laminate made? except for "pressure stress tested solid tops". somewhere along the way i got the impression they were higher end. are there any high end Godin brands? I never think of Godin specifically for anything acoustic but i know they have their little conglomerate thing going

• Members
6 hours ago, Stophe88 said:

anything in the Godin family of manufacturers that is worth checking out as a budget friendly alternative? i've only played Art & Lutherie and Seagull enough to have an opinion on those.  I've always been curious about Simon & Patrick. and Norman 

edit: i went and did some reading.. apparently most of Norman is laminate made? except for "pressure stress tested solid tops". somewhere along the way i got the impression they were higher end. are there any high end Godin brands? I never think of Godin specifically for anything acoustic but i know they have their little conglomerate thing going

A few weeks ago, I bought a Norman ST68 off Reverb. It is all solid wood -- spruce top and rosewood back and sides. I liked the sound of it a lot, on Youtube videos I saw. The tone is actually very good, but it's not quite what I was looking for. I've put it up for sale.

• Members
10 hours ago, Troubador said:

A few weeks ago, I bought a Norman ST68 off Reverb. It is all solid wood -- spruce top and rosewood back and sides. I liked the sound of it a lot, on Youtube videos I saw. The tone is actually very good, but it's not quite what I was looking for. I've put it up for sale.

heh, i just saw your classified post coincidentally. if i can find one to test out nearby i may make an offer on that.  i'm in the market for a steel 6 string (probably dreadnought maybe parlor or OM) and was thinking i'll go with Seagull S6, unless i can find something affordably better.

22 hours ago, Troubador said:

Those Gibson models that have been suggested to me include:  J-60, Advanced Jumbo, J-45 Rosewood, J-29, Songwriter Deluxe Standard.

I welcome all opinions!

I really don't need another acoustic guitar, but I've been really tempted to get a J-45 Studio Rosewood... I tried one out briefly at NAMM and they play and sound fantastic IMO.

But they're not a Martin. That's not intended as a diss to the Gibsons; it's just an acknowledgement of the different designs and sounds of the guitars. The J-45, Advanced Jumbo and the J-29 are all round-shouldered guitars. The Bonecrusher (J-60) and Songwriter Deluxe Standard have square shoulders, spruce tops and rosewood backs and sides like a D-28, so in that respect they're probably more like the Martin than the other guitars you mentioned. All of them are nice-sounding, high-quality guitars, and ultimately it's going to come down to what you like the sound and playability of the most. There's simply no substitute for trying them out yourself, so while our opinions (and watching a lot of videos and reading whatever reviews you can find) might help, at the end of the day you're going to want to get out there and play a few guitars and decide for yourself. 

That's my personal opinion and I'm sticking to it. :lol: Best of luck with your search! 

• Members
4 hours ago, Stophe88 said:

heh, i just saw your classified post coincidentally. if i can find one to test out nearby i may make an offer on that.  i'm in the market for a steel 6 string (probably dreadnought maybe parlor or OM) and was thinking i'll go with Seagull S6, unless i can find something affordably better.

A friend owns a Norman B20 (solid spruce/laminated cherry) that I like a lot. His has a very thin neck, I don't know if that's characteristic across the line but I wouldn't be surprised.

• Members
8 hours ago, Stophe88 said:

I'm accepting offers.  :)   It's really a beautiful guitar and in very good shape. Might need a string change.

• Members
8 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

I really don't need another acoustic guitar, but I've been really tempted to get a J-45 Studio Rosewood... I tried one out briefly at NAMM and they play and sound fantastic IMO.

But they're not a Martin. That's not intended as a diss to the Gibsons; it's just an acknowledgement of the different designs and sounds of the guitars. The J-45, Advanced Jumbo and the J-29 are all round-shouldered guitars. The Bonecrusher (J-60) and Songwriter Deluxe Standard have square shoulders, spruce tops and rosewood backs and sides like a D-28, so in that respect they're probably more like the Martin than the other guitars you mentioned. All of them are nice-sounding, high-quality guitars, and ultimately it's going to come down to what you like the sound and playability of the most. There's simply no substitute for trying them out yourself, so while our opinions (and watching a lot of videos and reading whatever reviews you can find) might help, at the end of the day you're going to want to get out there and play a few guitars and decide for yourself. 

That's my personal opinion and I'm sticking to it. :lol: Best of luck with your search! 

Thanks. Yes, I know you're right. I need to make that 2-hr. trip (4-hr. round trip) to try some guitars out in person.

Archived