easy play, taylor vers martin

den69

• Members

I have never played any instrument,  decided at age 64 to learn the guitar,   have issues with short large fingers,  trying to fret using my Yamaha is very

challenging.  I am self teaching,   seems like a thinner neck, with a little wider fret board may help.   suggestions, ??   I have looked at martin road series and taylor214.  

• Members

I restarted playing guitar when I retired.  I bought an inexpensive Waldon Dreadnought and enjoyed it.  When I wanted a better guitar I went with Taylor Guitars.  I found the slightly wider neck really helped my fat fingers.  The Taylor neck is very playable.  I recommend you go to Taylor's website and view some videos and research their guitars.  They have an Academy series that are less expensive and really nice to play.  Good luck!

• Members
On 1/23/2020 at 3:41 PM, DeepEnd said:

Before you do anything else, take your Yamaha to the nearest music store and ask for a "setup." It will make your current guitar easier to play and it'll be much cheaper than a new guitar.

This. Most new guitar players start on lower cost instruments and don’t know about the benefits of a good set up. 
Having said that, all of us here completely understand that sometimes you just want a new guitar. Try the Taylor’s, but also check out the Breedlove discovery or pursuit series. Breedloves have a wider string spacing that helps those of us with ten thumbs. You may find more bang for the buck from Breedlove, because you’re not paying for the name. Much. Eastwood’s are also excellent guitars. 

• Members

Sometimes a fret board has enough width to put a new nut on with slightly wider spacing, which can make all the difference, without getting the e-strings too close to the edges of the board. I did that with one guitar and it solved my issue with the spacing at the nut. My hands are big, fingers short and very blunt, and my neck profile of choice is the low oval. Like garthman suggests, a classical neck, coming in at a minimum of 1-7/8 inch with the symmetrically round profile is very comfortable for me, and why I play it over any other shape.

Good choice for a hobby, BTW. Take it slow and methodically and it will progress (by fits and starts at first) but steadily. I taught myself as well and for all that I do wrong at least I'm well practiced at it. IOW, I get by. Oh, I'm also 64.

• Members
On 1/23/2020 at 10:34 AM, den69 said:

I have never played any instrument,  decided at age 64 to learn the guitar,   have issues with short large fingers,  trying to fret using my Yamaha is very

challenging.  I am self teaching,   seems like a thinner neck, with a little wider fret board may help.   suggestions, ??   I have looked at martin road series and taylor214.  

:thu:

Grab some private lesson if you can.  Music to me is about getting together with other folks.

A good luthier will tell you if that Yamaha can be set up better.

My paws are rather small, and have a few Martin guitars with low profile next. I also played a Taylor 414 for years, and sold it as it gave me wrist issues. I went back to a Martin with the less wide neck.

Once you play for a while, you'll get to know what you like for a guitar neck. For you right now I would not recommend mail order.  Hit a bunch of shops and pay them first hand, but have that Yamaha looked at.

Archived