Hydro-dipping the ENTIRE instrument (including fretboard)

KevinTJH

• Members

I'm looking at picking up a DIY kit from Pitbull Guitars and then hydro dipping the entire thing. I've never done this before (go easy on my ignorance!) so I'm hoping to get some advice from the more experienced folks.

Something like this:

First of all, I'm going to pre-face this thread by mentioning that this is strictly for my own fun so it's more about aesthetics than actual quality tone. Out of curiosity, how much does painting the fretboard affect the overall tone?

Rather than masking off the fretboard, I figured it might be interesting to hydro dip the rosewood fretboard as well. The darker coloured wood may separate itself a little more from the rest of the guitar, which might look cool. This means that primer will also have to be sprayed over the fretboard.

Please tell me what your thoughts are on me following this process (I've included links to specific products in case they're not suitable):

1. Spraying an 1-2 layers of Undercoat paint on the entire instrument including the fretboard: (https://www.bunnings.com.au/british-paints-310g-spray-easy-gloss-cherry-red_p1580878 OR https://www.bunnings.com.au/british-paints-310g-spray-easy-universal-primer_p1580873)
  2. Hydro dipping with Acrylic Paints. Though the entire guitar will be submerged in water so not sure how that will turn out. I'm assuming it would take over a week to fully dry?
  3. Spraying Polyeurathane over the whole instrument, sanding in between coats - How many cans will I need? (https://www.bunnings.com.au/cabot-s-300g-gloss-exterior-clear-spraypack_p1520270)
  4. Wetsanding to 1200-1500 grit
  5. Sanding metal frets to remove finish
  6. Hand-rubbing in some guitar polish

If you guys think this could work then I'll get started right away. Any input on this project would be much appreciated! 

I don't think that painting the fretboard will have a huge impact on the sound, but it's not going to be very easy to do. First of all, rosewood is fairly oily, and paint doesn't want to stick to it very well. Even if you can somehow get past that, you're painting an area that's subject to a lot of wear - I don't think it is going to stick very well, or last very long. And the whole "getting the paint off the frets" issue is going to be a bigger hassle than you may have considered.

If you do decide to attempt it, make sure whatever primers and paints you use are compatible with each other.  Polyurethane and acrylic may not be compatible, and if they aren't, when you apply the top coat of poly, it might drastically mess up the color coats. 

Dry time depends on the type of paint, and how thick it's applied. I've only refinished with nitrocellulose lacquer, and a good month of dry time would be considered normal with that type of paint. Coverage? It takes about two rattle cans of clear coat for a guitar body... you'll probably need a third can if you're going to do the neck too.  For the undercoats / primer, you might need half as much. 

• Members

Thanks, Phil!

Would the undercoat primer over the fretboard essentially make it the same texture as the rest of the guitar sprayed with the same primer?

Doing a quick Google Search has come up with results stating that it's okay to spray Polyurethane over Acrylic Paint or any paint (apparently). I've finished 3 guitars so far with Nitrocellulose (2x full cans per guitar), but I'm looking to try something different with this build.

• Members
4 hours ago, KevinTJH said:

undercoat primer over the fretboard essentially make it the same texture as the rest of the guitar sprayed with the same primer?

Not likely. Rose wood usually has pretty big pores. They will show through unless you use a pore filler, which would be a pita on a fretted neck.

• Members

Call me a grumpy old man, but my view is that whatever you do to a guitar shouldn't make it sound worse or play worse. Dipping the git in gunk can't help sound or playability, ya think? That goes also for kids covering their acoustics with tons of stickers and all that. Easier might be to work on your wardrobe if you are trying to make a fashion statement.

• Members

If you are doing it to one of the Bronze series you can buy for 50 bucks, and intend to hang it on the wall, I say go for it. Something that you actually intend to play, think twice about it, or even 3 times. 

Yes, you can grain fill the fretboard. Numerous ways to do it, no need to get into that here. And yes, you can clean off the frets, hopefully not ripping the paint off in the process. (Acrylic likes to pull away from things, and can leave wonderful rips in the finish.) And again yes, you can clearcoat it. AND if you play it, you will remove the clearcoat, and the paint, and the primer, and eventually the grain filler. Wall hanger, go for it. Player.... not so much.

• Members

I didn't do this, a friend brought me a guitar that he had "painted" and asked me to route for the bridge and do the wiring.    

IMG_3792_zpsjjpaaw6h.JPG.c60b0a735e523061a9ad8a394a5bf3cf.JPG

As far as finishing a fretboard, I wouldn't personally do it (I don't like maple boards).    It seems like a far better plan would be to buy a kit guitar (or body and neck) with a screw on neck, do whatever you want to the body and leave the f/b in peace.

Ironic thing about that guitar - after we got it all put together it was stolen.   The owner brought me two more Jagstang's to have fitted with bridges and I didn't think they were nearly as good as the original one

IMG_5074.JPG.2d21e30c99c7ab8d3d30088bf38af53a.JPG

• Members

Okay, I've been convinced not to touch the fretboard anymore, though I may throw on some Red wood stain that I have leftover from another build.

Would 1 can of this Polyurethane spray suffice as the protective coat for the Acrylic?

Also, what is the best tip for masking off the frets as I will be hydro dipping the entire neck too? I did buy some waterproof masking tape for this as well.

• Members

No idea about the poly spray or the acrylic - StewMac recommends 3 - 4 cans of lacquer to finish a guitar.   I usually put 12 to 15 coats of clear on after doing whatever color I've applied.   I doubt that my buddy did any "protective" finish after he dipped his.

As far as masking the fretboard just tear off a piece of masking tape and stick it on one end.   Then move down the f/b sticking it down at each fret - I use a little block of wood to press it against the fret.   You want to keep the other end of the tape in the air so you can stretch it tight against the frets.   With the one inch tape I use I have to put a piece in the center.    I sometimes get a little bit of finish under the tape at a couple of frets - that scrapes back with a box cutter blade.   I frankly don't know what to expect about soaking the guitar in water (but I also haven't watched your movie).

Archived