What do you guys think about me doing *things like* this?

• Members

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/evg/1774471101.html

WE NEED A COMPLETE SOUND SYSTEM FOR FRIDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT ( YES TOMORROW ) SPEAKERS TO ACCOMMODATE ABOUT 300-400 PPL 2 MAINS 15INCH IF POSSIBLE (CLUB SETTING), BIGGER THE BETTER SUBWOOFER AND A MONITOR FOR THE D.J. THE D.J. HAS BEEN SPINNIN FOR OVER 15 YRS VERY PROFESSIONAL WE HAVE A TIGHT BUDGET BUT WE CAN PAY $100.00 FOR EACH NIGHT , WE CAN ALSO PROVIDE FREE DRINKS AND A V.I.P. TABLE AS WELL. FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CALL:

Do these kinds of jobs just get your gear ruined?

• Members

Two tops and a sub to do 300-400 people is going to be a struggle (unless you've got some really high end kit or some kinda med throw horn loaded).

Personally i'd avoid any job like that. Would rather just look for hire+engineer jobs - least your in control of your own kit.

• Members

Not for $100. Especially for a DJ. They usually don't know that red means bad. They just keep cranking it up.

Last weekend I did a show where a DJ mixed during our breaks. I had him limited pretty well and still he kept turning up. I didn't let him get louder than my band. He was drunk as well and kept asking for more. I hate that.

• Members

Not for $100. Especially for a DJ. They usually don't know that red means bad. They just keep cranking it up.

Last weekend I did a show where a DJ mixed during our breaks. I had him limited pretty well and still he kept turning up. I didn't let him get louder than my band. He was drunk as well and kept asking for more. I hate that.

Not to stereotype but.... I let a DJ mix on my "B" system at a wedding a few years back. I was told he was a real professional and would keep the volume well under control. Incidentally he was also the best man at the wedding.

Well.... he went ballistic as soon as he started mixing. Started "yelling" for more monitors and to turn the system up. I just had a small wedding system, two powered Yorkville 15's, no sub. He pinned everything and pushed the cabs into limit so hard the limit lights just stayed on bright red (until I practically turned the cabs off).

As I've mentioned before, I now don't let anyone play anything over my system without severe heavy limiting.

Personally I would pass unless you can clamp down your system, and even then....

• Members

Not to stereotype but.... I let a DJ mix on my "B" system at a wedding a few years back. I was told he was a real professional and would keep the volume well under control. Incidentally he was also the best man at the wedding.

Well.... he went ballistic as soon as he started mixing. Started "yelling" for more monitors and to turn the system up. I just had a small wedding system, two powered Yorkville 15's, no sub. He pinned everything and pushed the cabs into limit so hard the limit lights just stayed on bright red (until I practically turned the cabs off).

As I've mentioned before, I now don't let anyone play anything over my system without severe heavy limiting.

Personally I would pass unless you can clamp down your system, and even then....

Yorkville YX15Ps? I feel bad when I see the clip light blink on one of my YX15Ps (it happens when I'm announcing the bouquet and garter at weddings and I get a little excited and loud :)) - I can not imagine having them red continuously. Did the speakers survive with no HF damage? Damn idiot DJs. not me of course, but those other idiot DJs. :lol:

Al

• Members

I dunno about this club in Old Sac. But most bars/clubs in downtown/mid-town charge $350-750 a VIP booth depending on how many people and how many bottles of liquior you want, Keep in mind the VIP booth tip is 15-20% of the bill.

If they are only willing to pay $100 a night, then it's not happening there. Most promoters get paid $3 for everyone they bring in, you can get paid more if you bring in a huge group constantly.

300-400 is a huge club crowd for Sacramento. $10.00 a head and they are at $3000 already. I think they can pay more then $100 a night.

• Members

Yorkville YX15Ps? I feel bad when I see the clip light blink on one of my YX15Ps (it happens when I'm announcing the bouquet and garter at weddings and I get a little excited and loud
:)
) - I can not imagine having them red continuously. Did the speakers survive with no HF damage? Damn idiot DJs. not me of course, but those other idiot DJs.
:lol:

Al

Yep yee olde YX15P's. They do go into limit very quickly, although I have a feeling the limit lights go on a few dB before they actually have to - kind of a fail safe.

The speakers did survive (later sold them), but I spent the whole of the DJ's set constantly turning the gain down everywhere possible. I believe I finally put a pad on his channels so that he finally ran out of headroom on his sub mixer. Should have started that way, but he was very cagey and gave me a very appropriate signal to start with - guess it was when the beers kicked in that the trouble started:)

I've met some VERY intelligent, musical, sensible and skilled DJ's, but all of them had their own gear. Funny how that works.

Anyway Al, glad you're here to represent the DJ's out there that do know what's happening.

• Members

300-400 is a huge club crowd for Sacramento. $10.00 a head and they are at $3000 already. I think they can pay more then $100 a night.

That's what I was thinking; even if it's $4-5/head, $100 a night is robbery.

They are trying to cheap out on the PA by adding the "VIP table" and free drinks enticements, which cost them nothing, and add little to no value to you:

Wow, a VIP table I can sit at while I'm waiting for the DJ to be finished with my PA?

Wow, FREE drinks that I'm not going to touch, because until my PA is done being used, packed back into my vehicle and transported back to storage, I'm still 'on the clock'?

Nevermind what everyone else has said about the potential your gear would end up toast...

If you decide to go ahead and do it, make sure to get a credit card for damage deposit, and confirmation in writing that they will be responsible for any/all damages to your equipment ahead of time...

Of course, if you can swing putting that in front of them, I guarantee they won't give you the honor of the gig...

• Members

If you decide to go ahead and do it, make sure to get a credit card for damage deposit, and confirmation in writing that they will be responsible for any/all damages to your equipment ahead of time...

I'm with Craig. It's too easy to deny charges with a credit card. Get cash and a notarized contract that states they will be responsible for all damage.

• Members

I dunno. If it's a nice club, the VIP table and free drinks could be worth the cost itself, if you're into clubs. If you can limit the equipment well enough that it's not able to self-destruct, I'd get a group of friends and consider it a paid night out. If you can get the club to include a bottle with your VIP table. You won't be doing any work, and you can let your friends know that they're drinking free but they've got to help you load the stuff to the car at the end of the night in return.

• Members

VIP table...fine. Drinks? No thanks. A guy I know is learning the
very
hard way how serious DUI convictions are around here.

Too bad he didn't learn from the first one.

Or the second.

Yep, a friend of mine kept beating the DUI rap up here in Canada, then he got caught once in Washington State. That was a whole other ball game. He almost went to jail, had to enroll in counselling and actually got "scared straight".

And that's not to mention "our" British Columbia premier who got popped weaving down the road in Maui. Maybe that's the reason BC is going for really tough DUI laws this September - it probably scared him too, almost lost the "top job".

• Members

DUI here in Ontario is serious business. Over the past few years the driving laws clamped down hard. If you get pulled over and deemed unsafe to drive by the officer, they take your license, your car, and fine you HARD right there. Then you have to go to court and deal with the charges.

Speeding laws went crazy too. Ridiculous fines and if you're going a certain amount over the limit, you lose your license and they impound your car.

Archived