Do you play for the women?

• Members

I can never understand why every band in my area play the same ol' tunes. I go to one nightclub after another and I heart different bands play the same f****** tunes. Drives me nuts. Women and public wale up & get a different life and enjoy the mysteries that are out there. & Yea, proud to say I am not in a gigging band...yet. Music with a message is so much more important. Play Roots Reggae and everyone (including women) will be bending their knees.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can never understand why every band in my area play the same ol' tunes. I go to one nightclub after another and I heart different bands play the same f****** tunes.

They play those tunes because that's what gets them booked. It's "music for the masses", plain and simple. I make no apologies for it. That said, I too get sick of it. Mainly because when I go out to hear a band I don't want to hear the songs I've performed every week for the last 10 yrs.

There are bands out there playing "other stuff". You just have to do your homework or, odds are, you'll be hearing "Brick House".

My main gripe isn't the genres being played, but how poorly it's being done in general. Talent aside, most bands sound dreadful to the point I can't stand more than 3-4 songs. Almost always poorly mixed, but the worst part is either the shrill brittle sound of 2K-4K at ear bleeding levels or an "all bass and drums" mix with a snare drum that could split wood and no vocals.

• Members

I can never understand why every band in my area play the same ol' tunes. I go to one nightclub after another and I heart different bands play the same f****** tunes. Drives me nuts. Women and public wale up & get a different life and enjoy the mysteries that are out there. & Yea, proud to say I am not in a gigging band...yet. Music with a message is so much more important. Play Roots Reggae and everyone (including women) will be bending their knees.

Same reason so many restuarants have burgers and steaks on the menu. It's what the majority of people want.

But just like with restaurants, there are plenty of more-esoteric and alternative-genre bands out there. You just have to know where to find them and do a little work to find the good ones sometimes.

But yeah, for the same reason you can walk into 75% of restuarants in America and find a burger and fries on the menu, you can walk into 75% of nightclubs in America and hear "Brown Eyed Girl". But like the restuarants, it isn't so much about what's on the menu, but how they serve it up that distinguishes the good bands from the bad ones.

• CMS Author

How well has telling people what to like worked for you so far?

• Members
They play those tunes because that's what gets them booked. It's "music for the masses", plain and simple. I make no apologies for it. That said, I too get sick of it. Mainly because when I go out to hear a band I don't want to hear the songs I've performed every week for the last 10 yrs.

There are bands out there playing "other stuff". You just have to do your homework or, odds are, you'll be hearing "Brick House".

My main gripe isn't the genres being played, but how poorly it's being done in general. Talent aside, most bands sound dreadful to the point I can't stand more than 3-4 songs. Almost always poorly mixed, but the worst part is either the shrill brittle sound of 2K-4K at ear bleeding levels or an "all bass and drums" mix with a snare drum that could split wood and no vocals.

I agree completely.

There are a set of songs that are universally accepted and appeal to the broadest range of audiences. Personally, I have tried to keep it as current as possible while keeping the staples of the industry around.

As for the bands' mix .... :facepalm:

Piercing JCM900 on 9 with a 13" shallow metal snare (hit with sticks as big as your leg by a drummer with more hair on his back than most men have on their heads) seem to be quite easy to find.

I have only occasionally heard "too much kick and bass", but when I have, it was due to the eq being so far south that there was no punch and enough volume in the mud frequencies to cause involuntary ... well you get the picture.

There are always bands that play heavy metal, or rap, or (fill in the blank). They simply don't get to play anywhere they want.

• Members

Hmm... just realized I posted damn near the same thing!

Beat me to it but yeah...what HE said!

• Members

So, what's hot on your setlist?

Hi Ranger,

I wasn't trying to down your set list. I know everyone here has worked hard and do what works for them.

The list I posted earlier is a subset in response to others posts of what worked well for them. See the list below. It is still quite rockable, but I try (not always succeed) in playing anything that is older than the 80's. Even with some of the 80's stuff, we are doing newer versions that are a bit more edgy than the originals.

Your so Vain - {censored} Cats

My Own Worst Enemy - Lit

Hurt So Good - Cougar

Hard to Handle - Black Crows

Rebel Yell - Billy Idol

I want you to want me - Cheep Trick

Wonderful Tonight - Clapton

Home - Chris Daughtry

Boys of Summer - Ataries

Summer of 69 - Brian Adams

The Middle - Jimmy Eat World

Authority Song - Cougar

Basketcase - Greenday

Kryptonite - Three Doors Down

Holiday - Greenday

Two Princes - Spin Doctors

Little Miss Can't Be Wrong - Spin Doctors

Slide - Goo Goo Dolls

Rockstar - Nickelback

Too Much Time On My Hands - Styx

This Love - Maroon 5

Remedy - Jason Mraz

Snow Hey Oh - RHCP

Mr Jones - Counting Crows

Its all been done - BNL

She {censored}ing Hates Me - Puddle of Mudd

Figured you out - Nickelback

• Members

Come out and see our band then: I guarantee you you'll hear tunes that nobody else around here plays.

• Members

I love to play the Blues, too. At least when we play the Blues tunes we have a sense of humor and yes...estrogen appeal. So Let's Drink On The Job, Spank Leroy then Let's Get Nasty. Oh I forgot...I Can't Remember Nothin'. :blah::blah::blah:

• Members

Couldn't agree more, Sean - some songs really do get on my nerves but for the most part I do like a lot of the stuff I play, which is good, since I have to play it at almost all venues: weddings, bars, banquets, parties, picnics, summer concerts, etc...

But you are SOO right about the amount of CRAPPY bands out there - why are they working!? is always what goes thru my head. :lol:

• Members

Ha ha is this relevant!

Recently I went to a gig with a friend of mine. We were going to talk to the club about booking etc. He starts saying to me "this band sucks"

Singer was alright, but the band was decent and the mix was good.

The club was asses to elbows and the floor was packed with women and they were playing Jesse's Girl, Rockstar, Party Party, Fight for your right, and a few songs by Journey and Bon Jovi my former band would never do.

We never made $1500+ as a cover band either. This suck ass band did and were booked damned near every weekend!

• Members

Sam Walton (er whatever his name was) used to fly around the midwest in a small airplane and land at whatever store just to check up. One story I remember was he and some VP's would go to other stores to check them out (secret shopper kinda thing), one guy would comment how bad a display was, one would knock the layout of this and that but Sam what'shisface would always find something positive about the competition. And in doing so found ways to add that to his business model.

In music it is the same way. In the seattle area there are some really excellent bands, excellent players too. I get a little discouraged when work is slow and things don't seem to be rolling in and every now and then go see some bottom end bands, (running sound for other bands gives me great ideas too). The local tavern groups are can be the hardest to find good things to say but there is always something even if it's small. Sometimes it's that they brought out their wives/girlfriends and a few others. Maybe it's they have a few neat lights, or have good stage presence, or a nice personality. There is always something.

Bars/clubs etc despite all the reasons not to have music (and there are quite a few) are still doing it, even if it's not paying or not paying much. Be careful saying something bad about a band playing because you never know why/how they got booked or the relation to the person in earshot. Stories of your band going to say something bad about another are not forgotten easily.

But even I have plenty to say, bad and good. I try not to name names though, or give enough description that someone could 2+2 together. Besides, if someone wanted to know about me they could google me and figure out quite a bit. See how I operate, strengths and weeknesses. Even though I want bigger better there may be someone looking at what I do as bigger/better.

So, off to bigger better.
p

• Members
Sam Walton (er whatever his name was) used to fly around the midwest in a small airplane and land at whatever store just to check up. One story I remember was he and some VP's would go to other stores to check them out (secret shopper kinda thing), one guy would comment how bad a display was, one would knock the layout of this and that but Sam what'shisface would always find something positive about the competition. And in doing so found ways to add that to his business model.

In music it is the same way. In the seattle area there are some really excellent bands, excellent players too. I get a little discouraged when work is slow and things don't seem to be rolling in and every now and then go see some bottom end bands, (running sound for other bands gives me great ideas too). The local tavern groups are can be the hardest to find good things to say but there is always something even if it's small. Sometimes it's that they brought out their wives/girlfriends and a few others. Maybe it's they have a few neat lights, or have good stage presence, or a nice personality. There is always something.

Bars/clubs etc despite all the reasons not to have music (and there are quite a few) are still doing it, even if it's not paying or not paying much. Be careful saying something bad about a band playing because you never know why/how they got booked or the relation to the person in earshot. Stories of your band going to say something bad about another are not forgotten easily.

But even I have plenty to say, bad and good. I try not to name names though, or give enough description that someone could 2+2 together. Besides, if someone wanted to know about me they could google me and figure out quite a bit. See how I operate, strengths and weeknesses. Even though I want bigger better there may be someone looking at what I do as bigger/better.

So, off to bigger better.

p

Well said. :thu:

• Members

THIS is big.

When I was in the process of building my band from a $500/night bar band into something I bigger one of the things I noticed is whenever the guys in my band would check out other bands, it always ended up being a conversation about how much those guys sucked. Especially the most successful ones. It took me a while to turn them around and focus on what those band were doing RIGHT, which of those things would work for us, and how we could improve upon what was obviously a basic model for success. Once everyone had that change in attitude our dollar-per-gig amount increased dramatically.

I like this topic so much, I'm going to borrow this post to start a thread over on Backstage With The Band.

• Members

I sit in with some three piece bands - they have more ladies dancing cause of the rhythm guitar helping the beat. I feel my role is to get the ladies dancing till their panties are all sweaty.

Just got a JBL sub for the kick - gonna try it at two gigs this weekend

• Members

THIS is big.

When I was in the process of building my band from a $500/night bar band into something I bigger one of the things I noticed is whenever the guys in my band would check out other bands, it always ended up being a conversation about how much those guys sucked. Especially the most successful ones. It took me a while to turn them around and focus on what those band were doing RIGHT, which of those things would work for us, and how we could improve upon what was obviously a basic model for success. Once everyone had that change in attitude our dollar-per-gig amount increased dramatically.

I like this topic so much, I'm going to borrow this post to start a thread over on Backstage With The Band.

No! Don't let out the secret that it's not all about the way you sound on stage and getting that "killer tone". If all other bands started focusing on the "customer" we wouldn't be as good!

• Members

Do you guys think that wedding bands are being phased out by DJ? It seems kind of like that to me.

Yes, to a degree. Most of the Newport, RI weddings that my classical ensemble performs at do use DJ's for the reception. The DJ thing has actually helped my ensemble's business as the City has a noise restriction that limits prerecorded music played outdoors. That being said, if a bride wants her ceremony held outdoors, and she wants music, she needs to get a accoustic group.

There are a few GB/wedding bands that continue to work regularly. The DJ competition has sort of "raised the bar" of the bands competing for the same gigs. Those "good bands" charge more than $3,000 for a four hour reception. They are well-rehearsed and cover everything...and do it well.

It is amazing to me that a bride will book a $40,000-$50,000 venue for her reception and "cheapen" the event by having a DJ do the reception.... I just don't get it...

The DJ's that do the "high end" mansion gigs usually charge $1400-$2000 per wedding. Mind you, they cannot bring a huge rig to the gig (due to spl limitations)....usually a Bose stick system or similar.

...just my TCW.

Mike M

• Members

No! Don't let out the secret that it's not all about the way you sound on stage and getting that "killer tone". If all other bands started focusing on the "customer" we wouldn't be as good!

I USED to think it was about focusing on the customer. But now I'm starting to think it's about my rhythm guitar playing...

• Members

It is amazing to me that a bride will book a $40,000-$50,000 venue for her reception and "cheapen" the event by having a DJ do the reception....

I blame this on the bands. The DJs that book these top gigs do so because they are VERY GOOD. They play all the right songs, handle all the aspects of MCing a wedding masterfully, have great sound and lights and offer a consistent product. The main thing a bride with a $50,000 budget wants more than anything is to make sure her wedding goes off perfectly without a hitch. A good DJ offers a reliable, solid, consistant (if somewhat more bland) product. Hiring a band can be more risky because you're not always sure what you're going to get. And THAT is the fault of the fact that there are so many lame, lazy bands out there who focus more on what THEY want to play rather than what the audience wants to hear.

There was a time when DJs only got the bottom-feeder gigs and anyone with a budget wanted a live band. But that's turned around quite a bit because bands have let the DJs take over the market. There's only a handful of really good bands out there doing weddings because so many bands are busy staring at their navels while playing Stevie Ray Vaughan covers at the corner bar. Meanwhile the DJs keep their songlists up-to-date, invest in good lights and sound and focus on working the room.

• Members

I blame this on the bands. The DJs that book these top gigs do so because they are VERY GOOD. They play all the right songs, handle all the aspects of MCing a wedding masterfully, have great sound and lights and offer a consistent product. The main thing a bride with a $50,000 budget wants more than anything is to make sure her wedding goes off perfectly without a hitch. A good DJ offers a reliable, solid, consistant (if somewhat more bland) product. Hiring a band can be more risky because you're not always sure what you're going to get. And THAT is the fault of the fact that there are so many lame, lazy bands out there who focus more on what THEY want to play rather than what the audience wants to hear.

There was a time when DJs only got the bottom-feeder gigs and anyone with a budget wanted a live band. But that's turned around quite a bit because bands have let the DJs take over the market. There's only a handful of really good bands out there doing weddings because so many bands are busy staring at their navels while playing Stevie Ray Vaughan covers at the corner bar. Meanwhile the DJs keep their songlists up-to-date, invest in good lights and sound and focus on working the room.

Guido61: You hit the nail on the head! The good bands are still working.

Mike M

• Members

I'm off to play a wedding today. There are certain rule of thumb for a band that wants to work in the private/wedding market. The extremely loud one I saw 10 minutes of at the local club isn't one of them. And the more I think how much they are lowering the overall pay of all bands in the area kinda pisses me off.

• Members

Around here - Northern NJ, NYC Metro area - it's a little different: the DJ's do book more of the wedding/banquet gigs, not because they're that good but because they are CHEAP... at least, cheaper than a decent wedding band.

A DJ for a wedding will cost $1,200-$1,500 bucks, AT LEAST. A half-decent band will book for $3-4K. The big, bloated wedding band/entertainment agency bands will book for TWICE that much, w/more of it going into the agent/entertainment agency owner's pockets.

So your average Bride+Groom to be see the price tags and unless they are musicians, have musicians in family or are just live-music lovers - they are naturally going go gravitate towards the DJ's. :facepalm:

Archived