Test Music

• Members

Just a quick question...

Is there a song that you guys might play off an iPod after you've got all your sound gear set up to see if everything is good as far as placement?

Right now I'm using the theme from Back to the Future but I can't help wonder if there is a better test song to use...

:D

• Members

It's not really about the music so much, but the production value and dynamics. I use Peter Gabriel a lot. I tend to try to use music similar to what's going on with the show. Like for a cappella/choir, I'll often use my Ladysmith Black Mambazo disc, for orchestral work I use John Williams, etc.

• Members

I test with the same kind of music that I play.

Doesn't make sense to test with music I don't play.

Most use pink noise to tune with, that's if a club owner

will let you?

Can you explain what playing pink noise over your system would help you accomplish?

• Members

For one... whether or not everything is hooked up correctly and the sound is getting out of the speakers. Also it'll let you do the "flatten" thing if you have a good pencil condenser or measurement mic like the dbx (hopefully better) and an RTA device or software.

• Members

"Flatten" the system for optimum results.

So should I google "how to flatten a sound system?"

Am I just standing in front of my mains and trying to figure out what frequencies sound higher than others due to room shape/materials etc...?

• Members

It doesn't matter what style of music the band plays, the system must be tested with Steely Dan

The funny thing is (or maybe it's not that funny...), Steely Dan is regularly used by at least 3-4 engineers I know.

• Members

Most clubs/ballrooms that I play in would stop me dead in my tracks if I used pink noise. Half the time I can't use any noise, not even music.

To the noob managers, pink noise is a sign you don't know what you're doing! Personally I wouldn't go there.

I like to use (when I can) Hey Nineteen by Steely Dan because it's recorded well, and it's sparse - so I can hear the kit... without a lot of mumbo jumbo. But the Dan's stuff is close to what I play so YMMV.

If I know people are going to complain about a music test, but I really need to test the system (for connections....) I'll play something really poplular (Van Morrison) for a half a song and then call it quits - people don't yell at me as much when I play Moondance or Brown Eyed Girl:)

• Members

In reality it doesn't matter too much which songs you use as long as they have the elements you care about and you have driven them into your head. No matter which songs you use, you must learn how to listen to them critically. Critical listening is a disipline that must be practiced and refreshed. In a refence room, listen to the song(s) you plan to use. And I mean LISTEN. Where is that cow bell? Can you hear that bell hit on the cymbol at 1:32? Where is it in the soundfield?'s What's the level relationship between instrument X and instrument Y at 0:45? How's the tonal balance? and so on... The more detailed your observations, the better you will do. Then after you have rammed the songs into your brain at a level that would drive a mere mortal insane, listen again. And BTW: you will need to keep going back to the refernce room regularly to refresh the memory (audio memory is horrible for details).

I design amplifiers for some of the car companies (day job). When our systems guys tune vehicles, They begin with measurement-based adjustments to get the system close. Then they perform the listening tests (ears should always win over a piece of test equipment). They have a long check list of points that they listen for (rarely do 2 engineers use the same material).

Apply this same disipline to tuning a room. Personally, I use 3 tunes typically; a Steely Dan, a Jack Johnson, and a Dream Theater tune. Each gives me different references that I can use to verify my set up and get to a known good starting point.

• Members

So should I google "how to flatten a sound system?"

Use an RTA and calibrated mic to set your EQs for a relatively flat response.

You may laugh, but I like Level 42's "World Machine" - lots of heavy low end to find room resonances, and enough crisp stuff that's close to being harsh to find out if there are any real problems.

• Members

The funny thing is (or maybe it's not that funny...), Steely Dan is regularly used by at least 3-4 engineers I know.

Now it's 5 ;)

I'll bet it's a age thing too, worked in that era so it's comfortable, has high production value, excellent arrangements.

I'll also use Flim & the BB's, David Grusin, Thelma Houston, Kate Wolf, CSN&Y, that sort of thing.

• Members

Now it's 5
;)

I'll bet it's a age thing too, worked in that era so it's comfortable, has high production value, excellent arrangements.

I'll also use Flim & the BB's, David Grusin, Thelma Houston, Kate Wolf, CSN&Y, that sort of thing.

I've spoken about Flim & the BB's before, but I just used Flim's "New Pants" to audition a pair of HPR122i's. I was A/B'ing them against some Yorkville NX25P's. I couldn't believe how good the reverb (and everything else) sounded on the HPR 122i's - not so much on the NX25P's.

Funny the things that just disappear on lesser speakers. Wish I could justify purchasing the HPR's but the ROI just isn't there for me.

• Members

I like to use (when I can) Hey Nineteen by Steely Dan because it's recorded well, and it's sparse - so I can hear the kit... without a lot of mumbo jumbo.

I'm not a sound guy but I use SD for the same reasons. That and the fact that it's a high-fidelity recording I know WELL. I know WHAT that recording SHOULD (or I least what I think it should) sound like.

I would recommend any recording you know well enough to hear what you think are deficiencies in your mix.

• Members

Now it's 5
;)

You'd be surprised; 3 of the ones I'm thinking of in particular are under 40, which by process of subtraction means they were (at best) in grade school or Kindergarten when SD was at their commercial peak...

Last time I saw someone using it was a person I don't know, at a club I hadn't played in...5-6 years at least. Younger girl (I'd say late 20's at most).

Threw on the Metallica for 2 songs.

Threw on the AC/DC (Hell's Bell's).

Then came the Dan for 3-4 songs.

Took me by surprise.

Archived