Test Music

• Members

It doesn't matter what style of music the band plays, the system must be tested with Steely Dan

:thu: BUT.....for critical listening, don't use an ipod the compression is lossy. Use a real CD (you remember those things they used to use back when sound quality mattered (Oops I guess I'm thinking vinyl - and dating myself (why not? I'm one of the best dates I've had in a long time.....and I'm cheap))).

• Members

i use a mixture of songs from different eara's and genres,and try to get a result that sounds good for all.

im not sure that tuning to a particular album or song is the best approach,as there are so many variables of ur past listening experience with that music,,systems ,,environments etc,,,,sure,its great to know where every nuance is in a particular track,but that doesnt mean ur past experiences with it havnt been "tainted".

• Members

i use a mixture of songs from different eara's and genres,and try to get a result that sounds good for all.

im not sure that tuning to a particular album or song is the best approach,as there are so many variables of ur past listening experience with that music,,systems ,,environments etc,,,,
sure,its great to know where every nuance is in a particular track,but that doesnt mean ur past experiences with it havnt been "tainted".

:lol:

I use a variety....a few tracks off Quincy Jones' "Jook Joint," a couple off Donald Fagen's solo albums and yeah, some SD too.

• Members

I actually rip at 256k these days as that seems to be the minimum bit rate that doesn't sound mp3ish to me at high SPL levels. 192K is fine for casual listening (AKA break music). If I could still hear to 22k like I could 30 years ago I'd probably have a different opinion ;) .

• Members

I use Usher's "Yeah" or Pussycat Dolls "Dont Cha". Both have got a very deep bass hit that repeats throughout the song so that I can make sure we're not (a) blowing the subs and (b) blasting people to the back wall.

Bonus points in that it generally gets people dancing to warm up for the show.

• Members

I think a good test track needs to be fairly slow paced so it's easier for your brain to pick out the elements that are good/bad. I can't imagine that a speed metal track would give you much feedback about how the system is sounding.

A favourite of mine is Billie Jean by MJ, It sounds so unbelievably good on a big system! I can instantly identify system problems with that Kick/Snare/Bass intro.

I also like to use a track with a double bass in it, maybe an older jazz number. Lots happening in the Upper bass/lower mid region.

• Members

I use a number of different recordings. All .wav files off of CD's. All well recorded with good musical dynamics

Steely Dan-Deacon Blues great recording and dynamics

Chase-Get It on for horns and organ

Tom Petty-You Wreck Me for drums

Manhatten Transfer-Tuxedo Junction for vocal harmony acapella

• Members

Norah Jones - Don't Know Why

Maria Muldaur - Midnight at the Oasis

Alan Jackson - Don't Rock the Jukebox

Evanescence - Bring Me To Life

Just depends what the crowd is as to which I like to use. When using the first two I listen for nuance, and the second two I listen for impact and clarity. Also, Evanescence has some low notes that can rattle a room if the system is right.

• Members

Sanford and Townsend, Smoke from A distant Fire. It has everything in it, Heavy kick, bass, horns, harmonies... I used to use it all the time, until the band I work with added it to their playlist. Of course, I could still use it since it is for tuning. Damn it, I am going to add it back into my list of songs. I also use Huey Lewis and the News, It's Alright as well as PHINS version of Southern Cross and their original tune Fools Drunks and Children.

As far as an ipod goes, you can rip songs as Wave files if you want to, and load those on the ipod, so your PA tuning songs can be waves, and your break music can be Mp3.

• Members

I use a variety of tunes and it really depends where I am and if anyone is around.

A few country tunes I like are: I Will...But and Little Good-Byes by SHeDAISY and Stupid Boy by Keith Urban.

Newer tunes might be Tik-Tok by Ke$ha, Whataya Want From Me by Adam Lambert, or Got You Where I Want You by The Flys.

My personal favorite is a RUSH bootleg from their Test for Echo Tour. It's a rehearsal of the entire concert recorded direct from the board supposedly at Saratoga Performing Arts Center in Saratoga, NY (although it doesn't look like they played SPAC during the T4E Tour). Some vocals but mostly just instrumentation with an occasional flub (of course, none by Neil).

Archived