Bare Knuckle "Strat Old Guard" pickups tone test - Drive Sound

metalshred

• Members

Not the best sound quality, as I realised my Apogee One was dead when I was about to record.

Nevertheless I wanted to record some samples of the tone, so I did with the iPad.

Let me know what you think of the tone (and the iPad sound quality).

• Members

well. truth be k mown, were hearing far more of the room's acoustic footprint than that of the guitar and it's components.

Few realize what happens to the sound, and the tone after it leaves the speaker's cone.. here's a couple of really great threads discussing this very thing..

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/venue-acoustics-and-how-to-control-them.966582/

and . .

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/sound-reinforcement-pa-a-guide-to-making-live-sound-work-for-you.967693/

rk

• Members

I didn't hear the pickups. I didn't hear any kind of "tone". I have no idea what they sound like, since there was all kinds of uber distortion, and, forgive the term, guitar wankery. You want to do a review on a product? Then do it with different sounds, different setting, clean being a good place to start.

• Members
well. truth be k mown, were hearing far more of the room's acoustic footprint than that of the guitar and it's components.

Few realize what happens to the sound, and the tone after it leaves the speaker's cone.. here's a couple of really great threads discussing this very thing..

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/venue-acoustics-and-how-to-control-them.966582/

and . .

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/sound-reinforcement-pa-a-guide-to-making-live-sound-work-for-you.967693/

rk

Very interesting, thanks for sharing

• Members
I didn't hear the pickups. I didn't hear any kind of "tone". I have no idea what they sound like' date=' since there was all kinds of uber distortion, and, forgive the term, guitar wankery. You want to do a review on a product? Then do it with different sounds, different setting, clean being a good place to start.[/quote']

While the mic wasn’t the best, I actually think the characteristics of the tone did come through other than ‘quality of sound track’.

Agree with your point on cleans. I wish if I could do those but i’m not the right person for the job and wouldn’t be able to do it justice.

My demo is purely for driven sound which had come through raw and with characteristics that someone who like similar type of music might like.

• Members

I don't think you can name a brand or even a particular model of coil and using your pet generic stuff, call it a demonstration of the device proper. Most of us hear metal as distorted pentatonic lines in oddball patterns. Without familiarity or afinity for the gear and genre there's no basis for an opinion. I draw an analogy to IDM on audiophile equipment. :idk:

• Members

Any kind of video demonstration needs to have a point of reference to use as a comparison. In science its called a baseline to gauge the sound and I'm not talking about a bass guitar, but even that might be good to gauge the frequency response.

A Baseline is "a minimum or starting point used for comparisons" No matter what your room and mic are going to color the sound to some degree or another. So does the amp, its speaker, any pedals used and the instrument type itself. maple neck vs rosewood etc.

What you need to show how those pickups sound different then others is to include a guitar using different pickups so people say, oh, I know that sound its what I get using XYZ brand or stock pickups. This way people can tell if the sound is Hotter, Cooler, Brighter, Darker etc. As is its just a playing demonstration. no more no less. I couldn't tell whether the tone comes from the amp, pedals or guitar because there is no baseline, no frame of reference for comparison. Its the same problem you have with any sound demonstration posted on the net. Doesn't take a genius to figure out how to pull a video recording into a DAW and enhance the audio track to get people to buy a product either. That's why sound via the internet can never be trusted.

• Members
I listened to this on my Android with ear phones.

Nice takes on Yngwie, Dime Bag and Megadeth.

Bare Knuckles are great pickups.

I love the Nail Bomb, Rebel Yell and I got those on eBay for $ 50.00 each .

I think you did a good demo.

Thank you mate, appreciate it.

I heard demos of Nail Bomb and would love to give them a try.

Archived