Wow, Randy Rhodes guitar

redEL34

• Moderators
Ignore all the other idiots, this is live and his guitar tone is just insanely good. I grew up with this stuff, not always by choice but yes I`m impressed.

I've always liked this tune, but man everyone is really struggling in this clip, even Randy... his time is all over the place! Not crazy about the tone either... too much hair.

• Members

I've always liked this tune, but man everyone is really struggling in this clip, even Randy... his time is all over the place! Not crazy about the tone either... too much hair.

The last semi Ozzy fan I ever would have expected..Anyways, can you settle an argument on another board? I said I`m getting some 6n14n tubes. Someone else says 6p14p is better. I said it`s the same thing..no it isn`t etc.

• Moderators

The last semi Ozzy fan I ever would have expected..Anyways, can you settle an argument on another board? I said I`m getting some 6n14n tubes. Someone else says 6p14p is better. I said it`s the same thing..no it isn`t etc.

I have NO clue. But yeah, how can you not like Ozzy??? He's absolutely terrible, and always has been, but there is just this midlands stoned idiot charm to him that I've always found hard to resist :D

• Members

RR is in my top 10 of guitarists. Not because of his Plexi/MXR Distortion + tone, but because he was the anti-Van Halen for me.

He brought the concept of classic guitar theory to metal for the US audience.

Yes I know Blackmore, Uli, et al did too, but RR made it cool.

I firmly believe he would've surpassed VH as America's guitar hero had he lived.

• Members
RR is in my top 10 of guitarists. Not because of his Plexi/MXR Distortion + tone, but because he was the anti-Van Halen for me.

Yes I know Blackmore, Uli, et al did too, but RR made it cool.

I firmly believe he would've surpassed VH as America's guitar hero had he lived.

Probably not if he continued to play only in bands that chicks didn’t like.

• Moderators

That's the part I don't like. To paraphrase Hank Hill, "You're not making rock & roll better, you're making classical music worse" :lol:

• Members

Meh...snapshots in time...

I think plenty "chicks" started liking Ozzy as time went on.

When? When he did the power ballad duet with Lita Ford? Yeah, that lasted for 5 minutes. And even then, I think they just liked the song, not the singer.

Sorry, but few chicks ever dug Ozzy or Sabbath. The one Ozzy concert I went to (1990ish) was a sausage-fest. Which is one reason (not the only of course) why guitarists like Van Halen, Page, and Slash had greater "guitar hero" status than guys like Rhodes, Blackmore and Yngwie whose appeal was more limited to other musicians and male fans of those bands.

Only speculation but had Rhodes only continued on with Ozzy? He'd have remained a cult hero. Had he moved on to play with Whitesnake or Bon Jovi or some such band? Probably a whole different thing.

• Members

That's the part I don't like. To paraphrase Hank Hill, "You're not making rock & roll better, you're making classical music worse" :lol:

Hahaha..I love Hank hill. "Why would I lick a stamp with Bill Clinton on it?"

• Members

See I never understood that sentiment.

If you can actually get metal-heads to be curious about Vivaldi, or Paganini...why not? :)

• Members

When? When he did the power ballad duet with Lita Ford? Yeah, that lasted for 5 minutes. And even then, I think they just liked the song, not the singer.

Sorry, but few chicks ever dug Ozzy or Sabbath. The one Ozzy concert I went to (1990ish) was a sausage-fest. Which is one reason (not the only of course) why guitarists like Van Halen, Page, and Slash had greater "guitar hero" status than guys like Rhodes, Blackmore and Yngwie whose appeal was more limited to other musicians and male fans of those bands.

Only speculation but had Rhodes only continued on with Ozzy? He'd have remained a cult hero. Had he moved on to play with Whitesnake or Bon Jovi or some such band? Probably a whole different thing.

Must be a San Antonio thing, but I knew a lot of young women who were Ozzy fans.

• Members

Must be a San Antonio thing, but I knew a lot of young women who were Ozzy fans.

What's "a lot"? I knew some too. But nowhere near as many as who liked VH, Guns n Roses, Bon Jovi, LZ, who did songs with a lot of chick appeal and the bands had sexy lead singers.

Which is one reason why you were much more likely to see a poster of one those guitarists up in their room rather than one of Randy Rhodes.

• Members

Rhoads helped elevate Metal to evolve from the Blues / Pentatonic rut Rock was stuck in, since the mid 1960's.

Before his passing , he litterall stole the crown off Eddie Van Halen's head.

Personally, I saw Randy Rhoads, four times. Once with Quiet Riot and three times with Ozzy. Rhoads was always a work in progress, every time I saw him his improvements we're astronomical. His technique improved, his live sound was brutal yet dynamic.

His legacy will out shine anyone from the Grunge / Alternative era or the John Mayer's or Joe Bonnmasa's of today.

​​​​​​​

• Members

In Rudy Sarzo's book, "Off The Rails", Mr. Sarzo's said it was the 5th time that line up played together.

• Members

I have NO clue. But yeah, how can you not like Ozzy??? He's absolutely terrible, and always has been, but there is just this midlands stoned idiot charm to him that I've always found hard to resist :D

Is there /what is the translation from "n" to "p". I`ve searched Cryllic translations, and American n= Russian p. so these idiots are arguing over the same damn tube.

• Members
Rhoads helped elevate Metal to evolve from the Blues / Pentatonic rut Rock was stuck in, since the mid 1960's.

Before his passing , he litterall stole the crown off Eddie Van Halen's head.

Personally, I saw Randy Rhoads, four times. Once with Quiet Riot and three times with Ozzy. Rhoads was always a work in progress, every time I saw him his improvements we're astronomical. His technique improved, his live sound was brutal yet dynamic.

His legacy will out shine anyone from the Grunge / Alternative era or the John Mayer's or Joe Bonnmasa's of today.

Well put.

At the end of the video Ozzy is enjoying the show as much as anyone.

Archived