A friend wants a jazz box under a grand

Freeman Keller

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
how about an Epiphone "Century" reissue ?

Those are cool.

James Bay was using one .He also had a signature model.

[video=youtube;MXWKUFVskKk]

The Godin is made in Montreal, with some parts coming from NH. It's cherry wood with a thicker body than the Century. The non cutway 5th Ave doesn't come with a case and I bought a TLK case that is perfect with it. Godin's Tric case is ok for hauling around town, but bulky.

You can get some rootsy grit to old jazz tones with one.

The very first Godin 5th Ave, had no pick up.

I was at a guitar show in Saratoga NY, back like 10 years ago when they came out.

[video=youtube;R7TNBGRFUPM]

[video=youtube;xllJkSGEsM0]

• 1 month later...
  • Members

He stopped by my house the other day and we talked briefly about other things, He commented that he is working on some of those chords with unpronounceable names, I assume that was the jazz lessons he has been taking. The good thing for me is that he didn't immediately start talking about me building an archtop for him - I want that way back on the back burner.

I played my little jazz guitar the other day too - that pushes me way out of my comfort zone. In fact, that would be a good choice tonight.

• Members

After foolishly selling an Ibanez 2455NT several years ago -- a big, blond jazz guitar built in 1977 -- a couple years ago I bought another Ibanez. I researched what was available in my price range. I looked at Epiphones and Godins and Gretches and Ibanezes. And I finally decided that the Ibanez AG85 fit the bill. Basically an AG95 with chrome instead of gold hardware and with ACH pickups that are supposedly one step down in quality from the Custom 58s found on the AG95. I ended up buying a minty AG85 from Guitar Center at an unbelievably low price. Tell you what, these supposedly less desirable pickups lack nothing in the tone department as far as I'm concerned. Like the AG95, the AG85 is built from bubinga, a highly figured red-hued wood from Africa. I was surprised -- I could actually hear the wood. It gives the guitar a very nice character that I've never experienced before in a hollow body. And as much as I'm loathe to admit it, the AG85 sounds better than my old 2455NT did. And that old thing was a nice sounding instrument. So I'm very pleased with this guitar and I can recommend it. I shopped around a bit before settling on the one I ended up with. The AG85 has been discontinued for a while, but the newer ones (2013 and later) had a silkscreened logo on the headstock, which I didn't want. The one I bought has an inlaid logo -- a circle with lightning bolt.

Here's a pic of my old Ibanez 2455NT:

11746528535_bdc8f0f89f_b.jpgIbanez 2455NT by Michael McBroom, on Flickr

And one of my AG85:

11745809733_89150c9669_o.jpgIbanez Artcore AG85 by Michael McBroom, on Flickr

• Members

It's too late for recommendations but both those are sweet looking guitars. Congratulations on finding that AG85. :thu: As for bubinga, as with most woods it varies, it's not always figured. I have an old 12-string acoustic that's supposed to have bubinga back and sides and it looks pretty much like normal mahogany, maybe a bit reddish. Pretty color but nothing special.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Those are great guitars.

In the late '70s and early '80s I was playing strats and 335s. For the most part, the 335s were various Ibanez models and in 1982 I bought one of the first run Squier Series Stratocasters that were built for Fender by FujiGen.

At the time, I concluded that guitar manufacturers were only building guitars as good as they had to. Gibson and Fender were being run by big corporate entities concerned about maximizing profits and were sucessful based on reputation. The Japanese companies were trying to gain recognition and had something to prove so they built better guitars - although they often copied the proven American designs.

Archived