Best bang for the buck for LP Custom style guitar?

bigskizzy

• Moderators

I opened the thread, intending to say a used Gibson LPC, but yes Edwards is an option, and I'm using the crteria of an ebony board.

There are loads of MIJ LPCs, and very good ones, however all the ebony board models, folk are keeping or selling for the same as a used Gibson, and nobody except film stars can afford Tokais these days....eh Phil? ;)

• Members
Of course the beauty of the Edwards LPC is you can have humbuckers or P90s

Awesome looking guitars! As I said, I really don't care if the guitar says Gibson on the headstock; I'm not too fond of the idea of paying extra for a name, even if they are awesome guitars.

Can you provide any insight into what I'd be looking for with an Edwards? I noticed some different model numbers on eBay, but all were Customs. Also, just buying guitars online in general, can anyone give me some tips? I've seen some great deals, but as I've never ordered a guitar online before, I'm a little hesistant.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Most people who have bought guitars online will tell you that buying online is a crap shoot and that they wouldn't do it again. There's something to be said about holding a guitar in your hand for a few minutes before deciding to buy it. Having said that, I have been lucky with online purchases of guitars. But, I have had bad luck too -- PRS, Epiphone, etc. My #1 is a black Gibson Traditional Pro II with a Floyd Rose (that I found on the wall in a store and soon fell in love with). If you are not 100% set on having the split diamond on the headstock, an ebony fretboard, and backside binding, I would highly recommend you take a look at Gibson Traditional Pro models. My Trad Pro II knocked the LPC right off the bucket list.

• Members

I don't know about their availability in Canada, but I am happier with my black JTV59 Variax with P90s than any of my other guitars. I had (and sold) a 68 deluxe gold top, a 65 sg special, a mid 60s melody maker, and still have a 72 es335td. Of all of them I currently prefer the variax. Looks are very much like a black beauty, straight sound with the p90s is as good as the Gibson p90s I have used, and the models are very good, and a hoot. With the one guitar I have the sound of an electric sitar, a decent acoustic, a decent 12 string acoustic or electric, a banjo, a Les Paul custom, etc. US price is ~$1000.

• Members

I don't know about Agiles current quality but I bought a used LP off CL a while back and after I did a set up and some minor fretwork the pay was exceptional. I say in the context of with many more expensive guitars I've play I would have had to do the same work on them to get them to play like I like.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived