Why should a mass produced guitar cost $2000+

EmgEsp

• Members

The point is that people will always judge stuff based on its price tag. If you make two identical guitars and simply say one costs $3,000 and the other one costs $1,000 most people would automatically assume the $3K guitar must be better even though both are identical instruments. Its just how most people's brains work. I'm just not gullible like that. I judge a guitar simply by how well it plays and if it can hold its tuning well. I can always change the tone either by switching pickups or changing the settings on my amp.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's also unfair to use Gibson or Fender as a proxy for all boutique guitars because they're huge corporates and use marketing and endorsements to inflate their prices. The old "you have to try a few to get a great one" doesn't exist for Anderson, Suhr, etc because they wouldn't let a dog out the door.

• Members

OK, so you even agree that a lot of those prices are artificially inflated. That is what I'm trying to say.

See we don't disagree as much as you think.

I'm not judging Anderson or Suhr. I have never played a guitar from any of those companies, so I have zero opinions about them. The only thing I could say about Anderson guitars is that they don't quite offer what I'm looking for in a guitar spec wise, but I never questioned their quality.

• Members

Mad at you? No, not whatsoever. I actually kind of pity you.

You sit there, claiming not to be a kid, but a grown adult, yet you act just like some mascara wearing 16 year old, listening to the Cure in mommies' basement, and whining and b*tching about "How the world just can't understand that you know everything possible about everything." Of how unfair it is, that people doubt your brilliance, and that what you know, is the truth that all man kind should follow. And if they dare disagree with you, well then, they are the fools.

People have attempted in various ways, to point out that you don't understand guitar construction or the quality of, let's call them "upscale" instruments. Any time someone points it out, you scream and whine about how "that's not a tangible answer to you." When they point out the price of supplies, the price of AAAAA lumber, labor, time, you moan that people have been duped by marketing, and how it's a placebo effect. If it doesn't fit into that emo kids world, it can't exist at all, now can it?

When people have pointed out the flaws in your "logic" you attempt, badly I might add, to turn a phrase around to fit your own argument. And when pressed to explain how that equates to your argument, you ignore the question, and post a vid of yourself playing a guitar, owned by some never was rock star, like that is supposed to impress us. Go put another cd in, I think "Love Cats" is starting to repeat. I'll wait.

oooh, Greatest hits, Should be a short CD.

You absolutely refuse to accept the fact that other opinions exist. "They're all wrong, only I am right", the mantra of goth everywhere. Just about every single person who has responded to this, has disagreed with you in some form or an other. You belittle them, their knowledge, their experience. And yet, NO ONE has agreed with you. Hmmmm, kind of telling don't you think? If 99 people say it's a duck, and you sit there, screaming about how it's a moose as you apply more mascara, it may be time to wash your face, and get glasses.

Don't respond to this, I won't bother wasting my time in reading your reply. I will be part of the 7 billion other people on the planet who doesn't care about you. With one possible exception:

If you ever order your Carvin/Keisel/ whatever name they will have in 10 years, I hope it's flawlessly perfect for you. I truly do. Otherwise we will hear you screaming and b*tching about that spec of dust under the pickup ring, or that

slight discoloration of binding, and how DARE they send you such a POS with their "obvious" lack of QC. And, like now, no one will care to hear it.

CD is over, go upstairs and have dinner now. She made your fav, Mushy peas.

• Members

Yes, you are definitely mad. Your novel of a reply loaded with a bunch of insults proves this. What did I ever say to you that was deserving of such a nasty response? You are taking things way too personal buddy.

Look, I already took into consideration the increased labor costs and how some woods can be a bit more expensive than others, but where is the actual legit justification for one guitar costing $2,000 vs a $5,000 guitar when most of the specs are basically identical? Are you literally telling me that a $5,000 guitar is priced like that because the woods and labor costs are that much more expensive? If you are saying that then please provide the evidence. Just saying it is isn't evidence.

• Members

A guitar costs $5,000 because people willing to pay $5,000 for a guitar. That's why it's called a luxury item. A company whether it's a guitar company or a furniture company will charge what they think people will pay for things. Also note this a really nice piece of mahogany will cost around $200 to $300 dollars depending on where they get it from. So does that mean they're going to charge you exactly $300 dollars to recoup that? Nope they're probably going to charge you $400 or $450 for it. Same thing with any species of wood. Emg do you even know how a business is run at all? Not only do you have to make a profit off of your materials but you also have to recoup the cost of labor and other things. An oil change for your car will cost between $40 and $100 bucks depending on where you take it. Does it actually cost a $100 for them drain your old oil and add new oil to your car? Nope but they sure are gonna charge your the labor, materials and for the disposal of the old oil.

• Members

I don't expect a guitar company to sell at cost, or make a tiny profit, but the gap between a $2,000 Gibson Les Paul and $5,000 one is questionable when the majority of the specs are pretty similar and both are made in the same factory using the same CNC machines. OK, say the $2,000 LP is using $200 Mahogany and the $5,000 one uses $400 Mahogany, how is a difference of $3,000 between the two justified?

I mean let's say they have a very limited stock of that $400 Mahogany, I can kinda understand maybe pricing those guitars at a $700 premium over the LP with only $200 Mahogany, but $3,000 is straight up robbery.

• Members
Mad at you? No, not whatsoever. I actually kind of pity you.

You sit there, claiming not to be a kid, but a grown adult, yet you act just like some mascara wearing 16 year old, listening to the Cure in mommies' basement, and whining and b*tching about "How the world just can't understand that you know everything possible about everything." Of how unfair it is, that people doubt your brilliance, and that what you know, is the truth that all man kind should follow. And if they dare disagree with you, well then, they are the fools.

People have attempted in various ways, to point out that you don't understand guitar construction or the quality of, let's call them "upscale" instruments. Any time someone points it out, you scream and whine about how "that's not a tangible answer to you." When they point out the price of supplies, the price of AAAAA lumber, labor, time, you moan that people have been duped by marketing, and how it's a placebo effect. If it doesn't fit into that emo kids world, it can't exist at all, now can it?

When people have pointed out the flaws in your "logic" you attempt, badly I might add, to turn a phrase around to fit your own argument. And when pressed to explain how that equates to your argument, you ignore the question, and post a vid of yourself playing a guitar, owned by some never was rock star, like that is supposed to impress us. Go put another cd in, I think "Love Cats" is starting to repeat. I'll wait.

oooh, Greatest hits, Should be a short CD.

You absolutely refuse to accept the fact that other opinions exist. "They're all wrong, only I am right", the mantra of goth everywhere. Just about every single person who has responded to this, has disagreed with you in some form or an other. You belittle them, their knowledge, their experience. And yet, NO ONE has agreed with you. Hmmmm, kind of telling don't you think? If 99 people say it's a duck, and you sit there, screaming about how it's a moose as you apply more mascara, it may be time to wash your face, and get glasses.

Don't respond to this, I won't bother wasting my time in reading your reply. I will be part of the 7 billion other people on the planet who doesn't care about you. With one possible exception:

If you ever order your Carvin/Keisel/ whatever name they will have in 10 years, I hope it's flawlessly perfect for you. I truly do. Otherwise we will hear you screaming and b*tching about that spec of dust under the pickup ring, or that

slight discoloration of binding, and how DARE they send you such a POS with their "obvious" lack of QC. And, like now, no one will care to hear it.

CD is over, go upstairs and have dinner now. She made your fav, Mushy peas.

Best read of the day... lol:lol::lol::lol:

• Members

Its darn sure ain't about money or looks. But it would include things like The Buzz Feiten Tuning System, not that its needed, that's just part of the quest by the artist building seeking perfection from a imperfect instrument. parts and woods of the highest quality. There are things that can't be seen, Some use the word mojo. You can feel it , hear it and experience it. You play it , not the other way around. Its perfection in your hands. Example Gary Moore / Peter Greens Les Paul. You know it when you have one in your hands. Tangible evidence? You have to experience it and not look at it to find it. Its like a piece of music that has class, Jazz. Its got personality. Its what make certain violin's sought after. That's why I said you have to play them to find one. Music stores are packed full of guitars that don't have it. I've taken road trip seeking it and not finding, even in some of the higher priced guitars. MOJO, its what make a Mullard ECC83 /12AX7 Blackburn plant, preamp tube, Sound the way they do in a quality built amplifier, amazing!

tangible Evidence ? There it is.

• Members

This is Business 101

Pick any product in any industry and you'll encounter this sort of dynamic. It's called a free market. It doesn't mean that there's no extra value in the high end, because generally they are better, plus there's a whole lot of status value that goes with it. Some don't see enough value in that and others do. If you earned $100K per month you might have a different view, who knows. More is still more, even if the diminishing returns make that last little bit really expensive.

• Members

Wow! we have a rock star by brush with fame that rubbed off. Rocky's brother plays guitar. Maybe if you met him you could be in the movies too. Now you bring in your ANTI god statements too. Next you'll be claiming you're the brother of Satan too. Ignorance turns to stupidity. Haughty boy. I did say BOY as in child. You're excused for wisdom comes with time and you lack much. God said to pray for you. I will, be prepared for a spanking.

• Members

I like some of his stuff, agree with some of it, some I don't. I disagree with his capacitor example. I've experimented enough with them to know there's a difference. But, he's fun to watch anyway, whether im in agreement or not, I'll entertain what he has to say.

• Members

Which is what intrigues me with Diamond. Name brand pickups, Real Floyd, Grover tuning machines, killer inlay work, finishes, all for around and mostly under, $1000. They've got to be getting a killer deal on parts. Was Dean Zalinskys company, he left, started another custom shop.

I think we admitted big companies charge a premium for the name a few pages ago. Still a good topic and has stirred a lot of posts to the forum. Quite the debate.

Now we need a thread, same title, only with amps. Why should any amp, tube or otherwise cost over $1500-2000?

Archived