Okay, so I promised to post these new guitar pics - like - two weeks ago...here they are!

DonK

• Members

Okay, so to recapitulate, my son - freshly graduated from college and with a job as a bond analyst - bought his first guitar (after having access to my 40 or so for years, lol). He started jonesin' for a 12-fret 000/OM and the Recording King ROS-16 was perfect for his budget. He bought one, and I was so blown away that a week later I bought my own (I'm funny that way, couldn't just play his!).

These guitars are unreal, forget the price (but if you DO take it into account then you're looking at the miraculous). Construction is flawless. Sound is unreal: these guitars are as loud - if not louder - than a good dreadnought but are very balanced and don't compress AT ALL under even hard strumming. I typically think of 000/OM guitars as fingerpickers, but these handle that with aplomb while doing the dreadnought thing equally well. I know I'm gushing, but they're just tremendous instruments. I'm guessing I've owned 20 000/OM guitars, including various Martin varieties (000-28, OM-15, 00-15). Even now I've got: Taylor 414CE Ltd., Larrivee OM-6 (killer), Eastman E20OM (annihilates the two Martin 000s I've owned, since it has the 1.75" nut width and vintage neck profile, pretty much a Martin 000-EC without the vintage toner) and a few others. My ROS-16 has been getting all the love since I got it, displacing the Eastman.

So, here are the pics. Mine is on the left - the mahogany is a bit darker than my son's, but they sound very similar, wouldn't want to live on the difference. If I get some time I'll try to do a video so you can hear some sound samples.

2016-12-11%2018.04.34_zpsyy5qwc80.jpg

2016-12-11%2018.04.45_zpstzsacwxv.jpg

2016-12-11%2018.05.12_zpsj3a08tbo.jpg

2016-12-11%2018.05.52_zpsvanoqypa.jpg

2016-12-11%2018.04.21_zpsvehpiief.jpg

• Members

Very nice-looking guitars, mine was gorgeous, the length is about that of a dread, so you can't really call them a small parlour git. Mine had really nice bass, but there wasn't a lot of overtones, and the V-neck, going up the neck, wasn't my favourite, though I am fairly adaptable. I only sold mine because I bought a 'beater' Sigma 000M-15 for very cheap, and didn't need two outdoor/traveling guitars. I also got more than what I paid for mine, which was nice, though the difference after setup was about the price of a set of Elixirs. Definitely an inexpensive guitar to recommend. My ROS-16 also happened to be the guitar I used in my first live performance in over 20 years. :)

Enjoy!

• Members
. . . . the V-neck' date=' going up the neck, wasn't my favourite, though I am fairly adaptable. . . [/quote']

It's strange. My first guitar was a classical and I learned the rudiments on it so was used to a wide neck. I bought my first steel string a couple of years later (then a few more + a couple of electrics as the years passed) and played them far more than the classical so became used to slim necks. When I first picked up the ROS-16 and saw the wide vintage V neck I was at first worried that I might not like it but after playing the git for 10 mins was hooked. Still am :)

• Members

I learned on a 12 string strung with 6, so wide necks don't phase me, either. As I said, I am a adaptable, but I found the little Sigma closer to what I wanted in a travel/outdoor guitar. I am also not a fan of leaving guitars in the cellar to be pulled out once in a blue moon to be played. So, it is better in someone else's hands. Still waiting for the video of me playing live, though (from summer 2015).

• Members

12 fret guitars are the Boss ! not sure why everyone doesnt feel that way - when most players dont go that far on the neck anyways -

Maybe the wider necks , but with the increased string angle and the bridge move back -really gives a guitar better sound .

I love the 12 fretters i own -thou typically my Colby Horton is my favorite 12 fretter.

• Members

Very nice.

I snagged a Silver Creek OM when they were being cleared out. I believe it is a Recording King OEM model made for Musician's Friend. As all those old Silver Creek threads attest, very well made instruments as are all the RKs I've run across.

If I may quibble a bit, technically yours is a 000, not an OM. OM has square shoulders as seen in this chart:

4c5f3415-6968-400e-a6c9-7111ac5e5733.JPG

Enjoy them, whatever you choose to call them.

Archived