I made a bowl for my picks today.

Hoddy

• Members

Today at work I glued up some scrap mahogany and then ran off four of these bowls on our CNC...they're about 12" long and 1-7/8" deep...I used a 1/8" roundover bit for the edges...still need a bit of hand sanding and then putting a finish on it...but it will make a great bowl for picks and what-not.

20161114_164249_zpshynkad9i.jpg

• Members
.... ran off four of these bowls on our CNC...

Must be nice to have your own CNC (lol)

Do you mind my asking what you have? How big, how many axis, what software you are using? What spindle drive and are you happy with it (could it cut fret slots for instance?).

In my previous life I worked in a machine shop with several cnc machines - mills, turning center, laser cutter. I used them extensively for making patterns and jigs but never for cutting wood. Have considered getting a small machine for my workshop (mostly to just fool around with it) but think it would be nice for fretboards, bridges, maybe necks.

• Members

That is really cool and creative. I could imagine buying one of those as a gift for a guitarist friend. Several years ago, our praise band had a guitarist who was blind. I went out and bought a wooden bowl for picks and put it on the altar rail so she could find them.

• Members

Must be nice to have your own CNC (lol)

Do you mind my asking what you have? How big, how many axis, what software you are using? What spindle drive and are you happy with it (could it cut fret slots for instance?).

In my previous life I worked in a machine shop with several cnc machines - mills, turning center, laser cutter. I used them extensively for making patterns and jigs but never for cutting wood. Have considered getting a small machine for my workshop (mostly to just fool around with it) but think it would be nice for fretboards, bridges, maybe necks.

Here's a short video of our CNC machine

th_20151218_140943_zpsp7bcsizc.mp4

Archived