What's your favorite les paul model?

mbengs1

What's your favorite les paul model?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite les paul model?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do enjoy playing my Gibson LP.'s, the single "F" hole one as well as my beautiful "studio",The"limited edition" I obtained from from MF a few years ago, I might say it is my"favorite". Superbly "nice" (to me) and in my opinion, the flame "Iced Tea" single "F" hole Gibson limited edition version of the Les Paul style might be a "perfect" electric guitar... But, I also enjoy playing the Epiphone LP's...the "Special II" and the other inexpensive (cheap/"cost effective") "limited edition custom shop" shop Epiphone Les Paul electric guitars. If you can't play "it" on an Epiphone,you won't be able to on a Gibson, or any other 6 string (in my opinion). Those "bolt on neck" Epiphone LP's are great guitars...again, in my opinion...

• Members

It's gorgeous. :philthumb:

When someone says "picture your ideal Les Paul", something that looks a lot like that is pretty much what comes to mind for me.

How's the neck on it?

It's the '60 neck, so thinner than most LPs. That was one of my requirements when I was looking and got this one.

I played a LOT of LPs before getting that one. I have to say that Vic (Guitar Gallery south of Pittsburgh) spent a lot of time with me and really helped me find the right instrument for my playing. The look was a bonus find!

• Members

Never owned a Les Paul until about fifteen years ago. I tend to prefer a guitar that feels 'snappy' instead of 'spongy'. I find most LPs tend toward the spongy side of the scale, I'd had my eyes open -- as a background activity -- for a few years for a Paul, when I located a 90 Custom in a local pawn shop. Snappiest LP I ever played. So I snapped it up.

I have a soft spot for '70's dual-P-90 dual cut slab body LPs. The few with neck binding. What is that - a Special?

I'd like to own a '70's Hamer Standard. That's almost an LP Standard with ebony and a slightly different body shape :)

I play amyJTV-59 a lot. That's a pretty nice take on the LP standard theme. Could use neck binding though...

I voted Standard because thats the one I play the most but my actual favorite isn't on the list...it's my 1979 "The Paul"

I used to have a Firebrand Paul back in the late 70s / early 80s. Actually, I've had a couple of them. But we shouldn't let on that they're under-rated. :whisper: If enough people start talking about them, the prices will go up. ;)

I used to have a Firebrand Paul back in the late 70s / early 80s. Actually, I've had a couple of them. But we shouldn't let on that they're under-rated. :whisper: If enough people start talking about them, the prices will go up. ;)

For sure. One of my buddies has a Firebrand SG that is also quite good. I got my "The Paul" for $180 back in 1998 or so. They go for about a grand on eBay the last I looked.

• Members

I'd like to own a '70's Hamer Standard. That's almost an LP Standard with ebony and a slightly different body shape :)

The Standard is actually the one that's shaped like an Explorer. You're thinking of either the Sunburst (70's-80's) or Studio (90's-10's). Great guitars.

In my love for oddball guitars, I'd have to say my favorites are the Recording model:

1600-LPRCNACH_body.jpg

and the Artisan:

paul1rjads9ja6jahdtl.jpg

Neither are on your poll. Fail.

I'm not sure which case it was based on the model, but I got a "chainsaw" case with it when I bought it, so that ups the price a bit.

IIRC, I also got a Fender Champ at the same time for practicing at home, so that may have been included in the price. I honestly don't recall... but again, I think I paid about $700 - $800 at the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The Standard is actually the one that's shaped like an Explorer. You're thinking of either the Sunburst (70's-80's) or Studio (90's-10's). Great guitars.

Yes - I know - exactly - that's why I said 'slightly different body shape'. Still a maple cap on mahogany with a mahogany neck. The Sunburst is a great guitar as well, but the Standard is the one that always did it for me.

Edit: I've owned an '84 Explorer since about '86 or so. No maple, no LP profile, not an LP.

Archived