Charming little guitar

Freeman Keller

• Members

Every now and then something crosses my work bench that it just totally charming. This is a 1931 Martin 0-17 that came down thru her family to a woman who then brought it to the shop that I do repairs for. The bridge was lifting, that was a pretty easy repair with the KBK bridge caul and a little hot hide glue

IMG_3406_zpsimtzgoks.jpg

The tuners were pretty worn and missing one of the screws that holds the little gear on, I replaced them with some StewMac golden age reproductions and kept the original ones so she can make it "original" if she ever wants to sell it. The neck angle isn't great, but the bar frets were perfect. I didn't use the set of Black Diamond strings that were in the box but put some new silk and steel on it (it could easily handle lights however).

The fun part was in the clapboard case with the guitar were the Black Diamond strings, a pitch pipe (when was the last time you used a pitch pipe?) and two method books dating from 1935 (one cost $1.00, one 25 cents. The pitch pipe still had its price tag of 85 cents). There was also an embroidered strap like thing with the initials BB on it.

IMG_3432_zpsfytkronp.jpg

The guitar has a wide neck, wonderful full woody sound (and is remarkably loud). It is feather light and an absolute joy to play. I couldn't help but wondering what tales it could tell.

• Members

Nice. I love that "5 minute guitar book". Some things never change.... BTW that pickguard looks fairly thick.... maybe double or triple current ones? Given your impressions, didn't seem to harm the tone. Nice strap, maybe Bridget Bardot's guitar, or Mr Kings? Bob Barker? Ben Bradley? Bill Bailey? (Guess he never did come home....)

• Members

Wow, what a beautiful little guitar! Does Martin even make an 0 model anymore? It'd be amazing to get to hear a '31 Martin hog box. Not something anyone gets to experience very often, if ever - unless you're Neal and own a '37 Martin... :)

When did you start the gig doing repairs? That is frickin' awesome.

• Members

How does she play, Neal? To have a functioning Martin of that age is a major grab, IMHO. One of the many things that convinced me to get the M-36 was listening to recordings of much older M-38's. What age does to a good guitar, tonally, is sometimes pretty amazing.

• Members

It sounds good, and I have 'specific' bragging rights, but it really is simply a good guitar, no more/less. It plays excellent, neck is a hefty 'C', 1.75", body fits me, neckset still holding after 18 years, no complaints from me.

• Members
Wow, what a beautiful little guitar! Does Martin even make an 0 model anymore? It'd be amazing to get to hear a '31 Martin hog box. Not something anyone gets to experience very often, if ever - unless you're Neal and own a '37 Martin... :)

When did you start the gig doing repairs? That is frickin' awesome.

A couple of comments here. First, I have always liked the Depression era small bodied guitars and the 17 series Martins are very representative of them. Some years ago I was offered a 1930's 00-17 (slightly larger body than this one) - I had some issues with the owner of the guitar (long story) and just could bring myself to own his guitar.

Several years ago I was in a music store in Portland Oregon with my son and the stand out guitar was a Santa Cruz 00 sized mahogany guitar. It was moderately expensive, not very spectacular looking but just simple the best guitar in the shop. As we walked out the door my son said "I thought that guitar was following you home". I said "no, I think I'll build one" I did and it is one of my favorites (and its always fun when someone plays it and says "I had no idea that a hog guitar could sound so good"

dbd0e854-fb21-4452-9c53-a54244ce407c_zpsd283da57.jpg

Martin has reintroduced the "17" series but it is completely different from the 1930's version - it is now spruce topped, bound mahogany body and "whiskey sunset" finish. I think the smallest it comes in is 000. Martin also has the 15 series which is all hog and simply appointed, but it really isn't the same guitar as the old one.

Martin is making 0 sized (commonly thought of as the biggest of the "parlor" guitars) - the most famous is the 0-45 replica that Joan Baez played. I've built some copies of that too and happen to think they are incredible guitars

6f4cf0f8-9010-41d3-88da-f02a14592fec_zpsyk0kr2xz.jpg

So, short story, a bunch of the boutique makers are building small body all hog guitars (for a hefty price) Martin seems to have kind of dropped the ball. Too bad Single ought guitars are available and can be stunning little guitars - I recommend checking them out.

• Members

dbd0e854-fb21-4452-9c53-a54244ce407c_zpsd283da57.jpg

I see that you keep getting better at this, FK. Just stunning.

Several years ago, I was dying for one of those little Santa Cruz hoggers. 1929 [series] 000. Simply one of the best sounding guitars I've ever encountered on planet earth. Quite basic in design (the idea), but not quite "basic" in cost, being a Santa Cruz. Mahogany done right is just magical.

I cannot remember who said this. I'm tempted to attribute it to CFM, but as far as my fragile memory is concerned, it could have been anybody. But to paraphrase, the maxim is that if you want a guitar that sounds great, you need to construct it so that the top is basically about to explode. Richard Hoover has a reputation for exactly that kind of bracing. Seems to work.

• Members

If that was real tortoise shell the guitar would be worth a small fortune just to rip the p/g off and make picks out of it. I believe that there were alternatives to real shell at that time altho of course Martin and everyone else were using hawks bill tortoise (as well as elephant ivory, Brazilian rosewood and some other things we wouldn't consider today.

Here is a quote from an ad for a '36 0-17 from a knowledgeable source " The pickguard is prewar tortoise shell color celluloid"

• Members

Freeman, your "hand-did" 0-17 is a thing of beauty, sir. :thu:

I've owned a 1937 CFM 0-17 for about 10 years now.

It's not as pretty as the one you opened this thread with, has no case, nor case candy.

It's in dire need of a neck reset. Nevertheless, I love the little thing. As you say, light as a feather.

Archived