Favorite Music Movies

tbry

• Members

I didn't know there was an extended version of it. :idk: I used to have it on video - I love that movie. :)

I picked up a video at the grocery store the other day and it had 4 music movies in 1..."That thing you do" with the theatrical release and then the directors version.

Also in the set is "Once" an Indie film that was made for 150k and grossed over 20 million. It was good and very indie like.

"Crazy Heart" is included and I saw it when it came out and will watch again in the future.

Also "Walk the Line" which I have seen a couple times...it is good as well.

• Members

One of the things I always admired about the movie was the fact that there really isn't a villain - the conflict arises out of character and circumstance.

The closest thing is the lead singer, who is kind of a douche, but motivated by wanting to make his music his way, which isn't really villainous.

• Members

of course blues brothers is one of my favourites, while i do not like the follow up...

crossroads has nobody mentioned so far, yeah i think its a bit pathetic, young white boy wants to learn the blues and moves south with an old black guy, but i like it

and i love u2 - rattle and hum

edit:

oh and i do like some of the elvis movies, jail house rock e.g. the ones he sings more and acts less :)

I picked up a video at the grocery store the other day and it had 4 music movies in 1..."That thing you do" with the theatrical release and then the directors version.

Also in the set is "Once" an Indie film that was made for 150k and grossed over 20 million. It was good and very indie like.

"Crazy Heart" is included and I saw it when it came out and will watch again in the future.

Also "Walk the Line" which I have seen a couple times...it is good as well.

I'll have to see if I can track down the Director's Cut of That Thing you Do - thanks for the heads-up! :philthumb:

of course blues brothers is one of my favourites, while i do not like the follow up...

crossroads has nobody mentioned so far, yeah i think its a bit pathetic, young white boy wants to learn the blues and moves south with an old black guy, but i like it

and i love u2 - rattle and hum

How on earth did I forget all three of these classics? :0:philpalm: Good choices Tele! :philthumb:

edit:

oh and i do like some of the elvis movies, jail house rock e.g. the ones he sings more and acts less :)

I love a lot of the music of my Mom's generation (she was in high school in the late 50s) and even my grandparents (high school in the late 30s), but while I liked a lot of his music, I never got into most of Elvis' campy movies.

• Members

I love a lot of the music of my Mom's generation (she was in high school in the late 50s) and even my grandparents (high school in the late 30s), but while I liked a lot of his music, I never got into most of Elvis' campy movies.

i do love the rock'n roll/blues part of his music, his pop songs and ballads i mostly can't stand

as for the movies, some of them are hilarious and fun (kid galahad, or follow that dream), whereas some other are just plain dumb (this acapulco or girls girls girls stuff).

something like jerry lewis, he is great and all, but i only really like just a few of his films....

as you said mom, i just sent mine a youtube link to harry belafonte videos via email to watch on her tablet a couple of days ago.

she is 72 and hasn't watched youtube videos before on her tablet and never had a computer

i should have thought on this earlier, she loves harry and calypso, i guess i just made another youtube adict :)

i do love the rock'n roll/blues part of his music, his pop songs and ballads i mostly can't stand

as for the movies, some of them are hilarious and fun (kid galahad, or follow that dream), whereas some other are just plain dumb (this acapulco or girls girls girls stuff).

something like jerry lewis, he is great and all, but i only really like just a few of his films....

I love his films. :)

as you said mom, i just sent mine a youtube link to harry belafonte videos via email to watch on her tablet a couple of days ago.

she is 72 and hasn't watched youtube videos before on her tablet and never had a computer

i should have thought on this earlier, she loves harry and calypso, i guess i just made another youtube adict :)

Your Mom and my Mom are about the same age. :) I do get the occasional "tech call" from my parents (audio and computer related questions), but both Mom and Dad are pretty computer literate on both Macs and PCs, although they haven't really used PCs since they both retired about twenty years ago, so I guess calling them PC literate at this point isn't really correct. :lol:

• Members

You have to hear the film scores without the rest of the movie. One of the first I hears as a kid on a record was the sound track to Mutiny on the Bounty. That sound track kicks butt compared to hearing it on TV.

One of my favorite Musical Score composers is Bernard Herrmann.

The man had an absolutely incredible impact on the movie industry working with everyone from Orson Wells to Hitchcock. He's done so many movies I couldn't even post them here.

Wick says, Herrmann's music is typified by frequent use of ostinati (short repeating patterns), novel orchestration and, in his film scores, an ability to portray character traits not altogether obvious from other elements of the film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Herrmann

He was also one of the first to use electronic music with the Theremin during the 50/s is Si Fi movies. I guess that's what drew me to the movie scores. I watched so many of his movies never realizing he had orchestrated so many of them.

I came across one of his movie score DC's and hearing the music through a good sound system without the rest of the sound track blew my socks off. It was hard to believe that kind of sound quality was possible back in those days. I know Film is recorded with an optical track. I don't know if the CD was made from Tape or the actual optical film source but it was amazing.

I think the CD had scores from when I was a kid. The day the earth stood still, Journey to the Center of the Earth, 7th voyage of Sinbad, Fahrenheit 451 and others. I use that CD as a sound system check when I'm tweaking a system. When your pants start to flap you know your speakers are cooking with diesel.

There are a couple of other that are killer too. The sound track to Total Recall; and Star Wars both have an amazing impact on you when you hear them. Most people are used to hearing those sound tracks through crappy little TV speakers. with no fidelity. You play those tracks through a good Hi Fi without the actors and effects it takes on a whole different realism.

• Members

August Rush was mentioned earlier...that is a real feel good movie...

I was more interested in movies people have seen that are based around musicians or themed on music as opposed to a sound score like John Williams in Star Wars as an example or Forest Gump (although it was a great sound track)

Listing some we have mentioned...I have a lot of movies to catch up on.

Blues Bros...Good funny movie

Amadeus...Have not seen it

Elvis Movies...seen many of them

Crossroads...haven't seen it

It might get loud...haven't seen it

Spinal Tap...haven't seen it

Spice World...haven't seen it

Begin Again...haven't seen it

Empire Records...haven't seen it but the title sounds interesting (like the name)

The last Waltz...haven't seen it

Down from the Mtn...haven't seen it

Song Catcher...haven't seen it but has a cool name. Worth looking into

Still Crazy...not sure if I have seen this or not...sounds like Paul Simon

Great balls of Fire...gotta be a Jerry Lee Lewis docu

Archived