How many of you have more than one bass?

Phil O'Keefe

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I have three, which is an all-time high number for me.

1. Ric 4003 fireglo. New in 2001, this was my second Ric. The first was 4001 that I bought new in 1978 and foolishly sold in the early 80's. This bass developed the worst neck twist I've ever seen, the headstock was at least ten degrees out of parallel with the boy. I sent it to Ric, they replaced the entire body and it's been a great player ever since. The new body has a really excellent paintjob. When I called the factory for a progress report, one of the guys told me the body was one that might have been slated for a VIP. I suspect they were just being nice to me (everyone I dealt with there was excellent!) but it does look better than others I've seen over the years.

2. MIA Precision, 2004. I traded a MIM Jazz for this, bought new. It's a nice bass, I just don't care for that oddball pushy button parallel series switch.

3. 2008 or so G&L Tribute L2500. Got this with a gift certificate given to all the mods by the GC CEO back around 2008 or so. Decent bass, lets me get the feel of a 5-er, too many switches and goo-gaws for me.

Img406.jpg

• Members

1. Ric 4003 fireglo. New in 2001, this was my second Ric. The first was 4001 that I bought new in 1978 and foolishly sold in the early 80's. This bass developed the worst neck twist I've ever seen, the headstock was at least ten degrees out of parallel with the boy. I sent it to Ric, they replaced the entire body and it's been a great player ever since. The new body has a really excellent paintjob. When I called the factory for a progress report, one of the guys told me the body was one that might have been slated for a VIP. I suspect they were just being nice to me (everyone I dealt with there was excellent!) but it does look better than others I've seen over the years.

Most Rics have dual truss rods which are supposed to fix neck twisting. I suspect it was either very poorly adjusted of one of the rods failed to have that much twisting.

• Members

I have three basses.

A Musicman StingRay 5, a Fender P-Bass, and a clone of a Fender P-Bass.

The P-Bass clone is usually laying around somewhere in an altered tuning, but can be setup as E-A-D-G backup for gigs.

The MM StingRay normally stays home and the less expensive and slightly scarred-up P-Basses go on the gigs.

• CMS Author

The body and neck are one complete assembly and are replaced that way at the factory. I asked prior to repair if they ever removed the body wings and was told it was only done in super rare cases for a VIP's instrument.

I was surprised they didn't give me a complete new bass considering the amount of work involved to remove all the components from the old body.

I wish I had taken pictures now, but back at the time I was pretty upset about the whole thing and it never occurred to take any. Major kudos to Rickenbacker, who were extremely professional and friendly through the entire process. Getting the repaired bass back was like getting a brand new bass. They even packed a new "kit" with it.

• CMS Author

Most Rics have dual truss rods which are supposed to fix neck twisting. I suspect it was either very poorly adjusted of one of the rods failed to have that much twisting.

The truss rods were intact and both the dealer's luthier and Rickenbacker told me there was no chance of ever removing neck twist by adjusting them.

• Members

I have three bass guitars; a Peavey T-40, a Fender Jazz Bass and a cherry red 1968 Gibson EB-2. I have the Peavey because it is unique, very versatile and I got a great deal on it used. I have the Jazz Bass, which I bought new about ten years ago, because I have wanted to own a Fender bass since I played in a band in the late 1960's and early 70's. I like the Precision Bass also, but I have yet to purchase one. I have the EB-2 because it is the very one I played in the band I mentioned above. I recently had it serviced and set up with a new set of flat-wounds and it still sounds and plays great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, I'm 47 and I got my first bass when I was 8. So I guess it's partly because I see basses I like and I buy them and it's partly because different basses work better for different things. I probably can't tell you accurately how many I own, but the ones I play most often are a '74 4001, an early 2000s American Deluxe J, a 2015 Spector Mike Starr EuroNS4XL, a heavily modded Traben Array LTD, a heavily modded 90s American P with a J neck on it. I also have a few other straight P basses with flats on them for the occasional Hellbilly or ancient classic rock gig. I hate P basses. My current favorite is that new Spector. That is probably the best feeling, playing and sounding bass I have ever played.

• Members

I guess technically I now have two, but one is still a few states away from me right now ;)

I have had an '06 or so MIM Deluxe P Bass Special for about 10 years now. It's the one with the P body, maple J neck, Active P/J setup and hideous gold pickguard.

It's pretty good, but I''ve kinda wanted a passive P bass or similar to put flatwounds on. I was going to just get a beater Affinity, but the local Craigslist is devoid of them, and every time one with a P/J setup popped up on GC's Used site, it'd sell almost immediately. A Squier Vintage Modified popped up for $200 and I grabbed it. IIRC the VM series was quite the darling of the Guitar forum some years ago when they came out. It's only $100 off from brand new but it should at least be a better instrument than an Affinity. It's listed as "excellent condition" but I'll make my own assessment when it shows up.

It's shipping up from Tampa, FL. In the day or so since, I've wondered if maybe I should have looked for something that's not "another P/J Precision", because aside from the active electronics, it and my MIM are probably going to be very similar. Maybe it'd have been cool to get the VM Jaguar or something else. We'll see.

• CMS Author
I have three bass guitars; a Peavey T-40' date=' a Fender Jazz Bass and a cherry red 1968 Gibson EB-2. I have the Peavey because it is unique, very versatile and I got a great deal on it used. I have the Jazz Bass, which I bought new about ten years ago, because I have wanted to own a Fender bass since I played in a band in the late 1960's and early 70's. I like the Precision Bass also, but I have yet to purchase one. I have the EB-2 because it is the very one I played in the band I mentioned above. I recently had it serviced and set up with a new set of flat-wounds and it still sounds and plays great.[/quote']

Owning a T-40 proves you are both a man and that you are worthy of the title "bassist". Lug can brief you on the more extraordinary aspects of T-40 ownership. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived