Low cost, low maintenance vehicles that will carry your gear

pogo97

• Members
I don't want a truck' date=' because when the gear isn't in, I want a car. Of course, that's just me.The mini-van is the compromise.[/quote']

I just like a big car with a large trunk. I can get my whole acoustic rig in the trunk, without doing any seat folding or Tetris, and a second PA (no subs), and have room to spare. And then I get a respectable 28 MPG (mostly highway) for my daily driving. We were at the dealership looking at crossovers and SUVs and left with a Sedan because it was easier to pack. I couldn't be happier with that Taurus. I'm a real trunk enthusiast I guess.

• Members

Different tastes/needs=so many different styles of vehicles available.

Personally, I prefer an SUV. 4x4 is a prerequisite where I live and I just can't get past the "soccer mom" look of a mini-van. I suppose the vans hold a bit more gear though? Doesn't matter what you drive if it isn't big enough for your rig.

• Moderators

one band's solution...

http://wwwrollingstones.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/files/1970/09/get-yer-ya-yas-out-600x600.jpg

I have hauled my band gear in the RX-8 for ten years, solo gear for the last 4,...and occasionally used the wife's Accords..big trunks, 35mpg hiway, but the lifting and fitting was always a task. With the Rogue, I pretty much just put stuff in...as mentioned, no 'tetris' manuevers...then again, I used to haul a Marshall halfstack in a '72 Ford Maverick coupe...talk about tetris...

• Members

My Malibu Maxx hauled keys and PA. Reliable car, although the mileage wasn't great. Now that I'm in Maine I did what everyone else up here does. I bought a Subaru Forester. (Sold the Malibu on CL the first day because I could list it as a "southern" car.)

• Members

I still somewhat regret passing on an old prisoner transport vehicle for our band. It had seating for all of us plus a couple more, and locking cages for all the gear. It would have been perfect. But then we didn't buy it, which is fine because we didn't tour or anything. Usually the dads left early and I and the bass player would stay late so hauling all our own stuff was for the best.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I had an accident en route to a gig in 2010 and while waiting for the ambulance to get there, told myself, "I need to get a Volvo." I got one eventually but northern European cars don't do well for long in our North Texas climate. After a few months, I sold it and bought a used 2010 Dodge Avenger a couple years ago and it's been excellent. Tons of headroom for a 6' plus guy like me, good sized trunk and close to 30 mpg on highway runs. I don't carry a ton of gear any more and this car is quiet, handles well and has been a pleasant surprise.

• Moderators
I'm old enough to remember when musicians drove station wagons - the soccer-mom car of the day (only soccer didn't hit the US then but it immediately said "family man").

Station wagons...yep, but the best was a drummer I worked with years ago who had a hearse...

I had a '74 Toyota Corona wagon that lasted for years, about 200k+ miles...the 18RC engine was actually 2L, plenty of pep, and I could load that wagon until the tires flattened out...

• Moderators

Well, they were built to take people to and from the train station...much like airport vans do now. I'll be willing to bet that most American families [with 2.3 children] in the 50s & 60s who owned a car had a Station Wagon at some point. We had a Rambler, and a couple of Fords. I learned how to drive a stick shift on that Rambler...

• Members

Can't remember if I've posted in this thread, but it's all new now anyway. I use a 2009 Ford Escape. It's big enough for FOH, two 15" subs, four small monitors, mixer, cables, 10 mic stands, speaker stands, and my guitar stuff - but that's packed to the roof. The new Escapes are too small, so I won't be getting a new one, even if I could afford it. Planning on downsizing my gear anyway.

One of my old bands used two station wagons to tour Western Canada. At one point the drummer got a roof rack for his wagon and would put his drums up there. One extremely snowy day up North he pulled into a town for gas,and realized that somewhere in the last one or two hundred miles his bass drum had blown off of the roof - didn't hear it because of the thick snow. Never did find it.

And speaking of hearses, our very first band car was a hearse, owned by our unofficial roadie. It was painted brown with all these cartoon characters on it - made quite a statement when we pulled into the gig.

• Members
I'm old enough to remember when musicians drove station wagons - the soccer-mom car of the day (only soccer didn't hit the US then but it immediately said "family man").

I used a Subaru Outback for many years. I could fit my entire PA and guitar rig in it without folding the seats down and the back seat was wide enough for a full 88 key digital piano.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived