What covers do you like better than the original?

• Members

The Byrds did great cover versions of Dylan songs..."My Back Pages"

And I think this is one of the more poignant songs I've heard...the Byrds doing Goffin-Kin's "Goin' Back."

I don't like the arrangement on Dusty Springfield's version, but her voice is stellar. If she'd sung it with the Byrds, that would have been pretty awesome!

And a certain irony to Phil Collins doing it, as it was his last single.

But I still liked the Byrds' version the best. They translated the wistful, ephemeral nature of the song...a classic IMHO.

• Members

I'm surprised no one mentioned The Beatles or The Isley's covers of "Twist & Shout" or Janis's cover of "Piece of My Heart"

"Dazed and Confused" by Zepplin is a cover

"Time is on My Side" by the Stones is a cover of Irma Thomas

"Hey Joe" by Hendrix is a cover of The Leaves

Steve Wonder' s "Superstition" was actually first performed by Jeff Beck even though Stieve wrote it.

• Members

Little Red Book

Original:

Cover:

[video=youtube;f-SuGfLhqo4]

(What amuses the crap out of me is that the songwriter, Bert Bacharach, reportedly hates the Love version. I have a soft spot for MM, but, let's face it, their version is incredibly wimpy compared to the Love version. It's a wimpy guy singing a wimpy, simpering song. But as done by the [not necessarily ultra-butch himself] Arthur Lee, the singer's character is a big, tough guy reduced to whimpering -- the Love version really sells the ironic angle, whereas it's swallowed in the anemic Manfred Mann version.)

Without Her

Original:

Cover:

(No slag on Badfinger, but, well, damn. No contest. Original is okay, they try to take it big -- complete with a Procol Harum style organ part -- but, come on. Harry's truly is epic.)

• Members

Money

Original

Cover

[video=youtube;E-P2qL3qkzk]

[ ^^ I'd never seen this vid before -- it may be be one of my top 5 favorite videos.]

TIE:

Summertime Blues

Original

Cover

Special bonus: Eddie Cochran on Town Hall Party (actually LIVE as in really playing) -- should cue to 2:17 or so...

• Members

I'm still looking for the original of "Silent Night" so I can post the Dickie's speed-punk cover. wink.png

(Mind you, I have essentially no use for the Dickies outside of the above and a solid, sped-up version of Sabbath's "Paranoid." I saw them twice and liked them zero -- but perhaps mostly because of their utterly annoying fratboy-in-the-moshpit crowd.)

• Members

"More Than a Woman" by Tavares better than the version by the Bee Gees. Not sure who covered whom, now that I think about it, but the song seemed more associated with The Brothers Gibb.

Probably because I could sing along with it more easily listening to Tavares, whereas singing along with the Bee Gees for too long made my head hurt.

[video=youtube;GQcCRo2b-ZE]

• Members

Nope, it was originally done by Barrett Strong and was probably Motown's first hit record.

Doh! I should have known to check. In fact, I knew it wasn't theirs... it just didn't surface until, er, you reminded me. So that's, like, twice as bad. LOL

Thanks!

Archived