What covers do you like better than the original?

• Members

I'm not sure I'd say I like them BETTER than the originals, necessarily; often that's like comparing apples and oranges. But here are some covers I like very, very much:

Elders amongst us will know that this had originally been done by Buddy Holly & The Crickets back in the 50's.

The original was of course Motown's first hit, circa 1961.

Don't hate-- I know we have some Neil fans here.. Heaven Bound was one of those 1970's studio efforts, like Singers Unlimited, in which they were after a super-polished recording, the production almost being more important than the song or the group itself..

Nothing replaces Smokey. But as we know those Asher/Massenburg records of the 70's sounded so damn good...

[video=youtube;dy-AX5QItPE]

I'm a huge Dee Dee Warwick fan (Dionne's younger sister). Unfortunately, all the great Dee Dee sides of the 60's sound as though they were recorded in a high school gymnasium.... but I like 'em no less for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfONnB1mx5E Laura Nyro of course had done it first. Bones Howe of course doing the amazing production here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6gpzBBuKpk Love the trippy FX on this one, haha. It was a woman who did this production in 1969... but I can't recall her name... ?

• Members

Anyone who covers a Bob Dylan tune. I don`t care who it is, it is usually a lot better. Great tunes, lousy singer…

Jeff Buckleys cover of Leonard Cohens Hallelujah…. just a mesmerizing cover of an already great tune.

Joe Cockers cover of The Beatles "With A Little Help From My Friends".

Hearts cover of Led Zeps "Stairway to Heaven". Their cover gives me chills from the moment she starts to sing…

• Members

"Bang A Gong (Get It On)" - T Rex/The Power Station

Respect to Marc Bolan and T rex...but this rules. Slammin Bonham-esque drums by Tony Thompson! Guitar that totally spanks, with great "brown sound" overtones. And who knew a couple of guys from Duran Duran could rawk? lol.gif

There's also some very nice extended versions at youtube, with babes. But you guys can find them for yourself I'm sure. smiley-wink.png' alt='16x16_smiley-wink.png.ac1518ec0dabe458f31c1303ed9ec588.png' alt='smiley-wink'>.png'>

And now if you'll excuse me, I have some more viewing, I mean listening- to do. very-happy.png' alt='16x16_man-very-happy.png.58f4fc7892e8041ddc6575c8d5db3ad6.png' alt='very-happy'>.png'>

Archived