Hi there!

Neal

• Members

The repair seems solid. I just have to sand up some more rosewood and fill in the surface crack just a little more. Rosewood is a great wood because of the dark grains and a VERY pliable nature. I used rosewood for the binding on my first build and I swear that I didn't really need to heat up the rosewood to bend it.

Larrivee is a great company IMO. The owner seems like he's got more of a traditional background with a start in classical building but he knows all about wood too. Most people rave about how even the entry level guitars have all solid wood construction but what isn't mentioned enough is that the tail block is laminated birch, so if it gets butted like mine did it won't split. I don't know if anyone here remembers Whalebot, but I recall years ago his all mahogany Martin 000-15S fell over after being leaned against a desk and the crack split the mahogany tail block in half, requiring that the guitar be sent back to Nazareth for major repairs. On my Larrivee, the laminated tail block saved the guitar; the key cracks stop right at the edge of the block.

Refinishing is going to be the hard part. I'm tempted to sand the whole guitar and French polish it. I need to buy an orbital palm sander to make the task easier.

• Members

Glad to hear it turned out okay. I do remember Whalebot, among others. Larrivées seem to be nice guitars. The only place that sells them locally is Eddie's Guitars, one of those places where they look at you funny when you try to buy a set of strings. I can do without the extra helping of attitude so I don't go there.

• Members

I saw pics of Whalebot's guitar. That thing didn't "fall over". That thing fell from a high place onto a hard floor. The entire lower bout adjacent to the tail block was caved. Or, think John Belushi in a stairwell in Animal House.

• Members
I saw pics of Whalebot's guitar. That thing didn't "fall over". That thing fell from a high place onto a hard floor. The entire lower bout adjacent to the tail block was caved. Or' date=' think John Belushi in a stairwell in Animal House.[/quote']

Absolutely! I tried to search out the pics from the thread. Not there I guess. I dunno is right. It looked almost as if it encountered a fast moving tree. El Kabong!

• Members

On the lighter side I really enjoyed reading some of those old threads with JT, Hudman and Cldplytkmn, Kwakatak and others. This place was a whole lot more fun with some of those guys. Some guy name Sweb and this harpooner dude named Queequeg was there too. and there was this guy who lived in a van down by the river that kept blowing his pecker off. I think his name was knothead or kickwood or knockwood or something. Or maybe it was Eastwood. Heck, it might have been Esteban... TAH and OGP and Stackabones, and Michael Martin, damned that guy looks EXACTLY like Pete Townsend, I swear!

Even the trolls from back then were funny, in retrospect. Much better than the trolls we have now..

• Members

I think this format of Internet socializing is old school now...you gotta Twitter and Instagram or you be outta the loop. These types of forums will never be like they were. People have moved on.

• Members
I think this format of Internet socializing is old school now...you gotta Twitter and Instagram or you be outta the loop. These types of forums will never be like they were. People have moved on.

Are ya sure? The AGF is abuzz.

I don't know if that in spite of or because of the mods heavy handedness.

They frown on adult conversation in the "off topic" forum. Afraid someone's feelings might get hurt. :(

• Members

Are ya sure? The AGF is abuzz.

I don't know if that in spite of or because of the mods heavy handedness.

They frown on adult conversation in the "off topic" forum. Afraid someone's feelings might get hurt. frown.gif

Are they all old guys? Are the 20 somethings hanging there? IDK, you may be right, just my opinion but it has been about 10 years maybe longer since these type of forums began and I think it is old school by and large. Sure, there are some still thriving but check out the age group...

• Members

I think the AGF is mostly 50+ rocker wannabes who, instead, bought ("the tree") expensive, nice sounding guitars to play instrumentals in alternate tunings very, very slowly. Arghhh, it leaves me twitching to go so slow. Still, there's a ton of music from the membership worth listening to over there. On the forums - talk circuit - it's sweet tea, lattes and ray ban boomerville all the way, baby.

Archived