In appreciation for my $79 Yellow Epiphone Les Paul Special [with HBs]

epi56ebony

• Members

Bought this a while back at a GC holiday sale [Labor day, memorial day, July 4 one of those]. It was a doorbuster and I still really dig this little monster. The only flaw is the average tuners. I even like the pickups. Just a great little guitar and boy it's a great starter for any beginner cause this thing RAWKS!

36bd268eb40d4d0d86b64c54ecd9c56c.thumb.JPG.f0413305a737630498cf1f2911e18ccc.JPG

397a45b006a9cde99c09d82cf9fed768.thumb.JPG.337d760429a955fda23cc38263622771.JPG

• Members
Awesome! :rawk:

How do you like the bridge?

I'm fine with the bridge and for the most part it stays in tune even with the average tuners. I think if you go crazy with the bends it will go out of tune more often.

I look at the guitar as a nice "Creedence" style guitar. If you play basically Creedence rhythms and leads it'll be great.

• Members

I bought the Satin Cherry with P-90's. While I am merely a bedroom player I have played a number of more expensive guitars and I would put mine up with them in terms of ease of play.

Agreed that the tuners need replacing but the neck is like butter and the guitar is just so easy to play. Granted I play through a Mustang 1 so the amp may be taking up some of the slack but...

I love mine. I am playing it so much the satin has worn down on parts of the neck and where my arm rests when I play. It is now shiny. I bought mine when you got yours.

Less than 100 bucks and I am in love with it.

• Members
. . . I look at the guitar as a nice "Creedence" style guitar. If you play basically Creedence rhythms and leads it'll be great.

I generally associate John Fogerty with either a Tele or a LP with P90s so I'm a bit surprised. Anyway, glad you like it.

• Members

I have the same guitar, but my experience is a little different. The nut slots were not cut properly. It will not intonate. Rough fret edges, etc. I've got a new nut for it and a new bridge. Just haven't been motivated enough to work on it.

• Members

I have the standard model of that in sunburst with normal bridge + tailpiece. It doesnt sound good clean but its OK with medium-high OD or distortion. The fretwork on mine is good and I like how the neck feels so its a good knock around guitar that I dont have to be too careful with.

• Members

I generally associate John Fogerty with either a Tele or a LP with P90s so I'm a bit surprised. Anyway, glad you like it.

I guess what I meant was Creedence songs are basic chords and the leads don't go steve vai wild. I didn't mean to say it was a guitar that Fogerty played. Sorry for the bad communication.

Fogerty in Creedence played a Rickenbacker a lot. I miss his Ric sound, that's really the sound of Creedence.

It's funny both Fogerty and Lennon abandoned the Ric after a few years.

• Members

I started with a black one of those. I can't complain about it too much. It was a good starter guitar. Like someone said...sounded pretty good distorted...but cleans were well below par. Played OK. Neck was alright. It is what it is.

Once I moved up to something a lot nicer though...I realized what separates better guitars from guitars like that. Haven't looked back.

• Members

I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but I've found some of those cheaper Epi LP knockoffs to be better than the more expensive ones. Granted I haven't played many and I've never touched an Elitist which I imagine to be in Gibson territory. I think it was an Epi Jr that impressed me so much one time.

• Members
I started with a black one of those. I can't complain about it too much. It was a good starter guitar. Like someone said...sounded pretty good distorted...but cleans were well below par. Played OK. Neck was alright. It is what it is.

Once I moved up to something a lot nicer though...I realized what separates better guitars from guitars like that. Haven't looked back.

Having top of the line Custom Shops and Gibsons, finding a cheapo guitar that plays well makes me appreciate it even more especially for the price.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I had not played any instruments in 13 years and sold all my equipment long ago. I decided to pickup a guitar recently and grabbed one of these in black. Changed the intonated bridge out for a Wilkinson and the pickups for GFS surf 90s and a tusq nut. Relearning to play is keeping me busy and this was a great little guitar for the price.

• Members

I guess what I meant was Creedence songs are basic chords and the leads don't go steve vai wild. I didn't mean to say it was a guitar that Fogerty played. Sorry for the bad communication.

Fogerty in Creedence played a Rickenbacker a lot. I miss his Ric sound, that's really the sound of Creedence.

It's funny both Fogerty and Lennon abandoned the Ric after a few years.

I remember seeing him playing a 330 series Gibson a lot as well

• Members
I had not played any instruments in 13 years and sold all my equipment long ago. I decided to pickup a guitar recently and grabbed one of these in black. Changed the intonated bridge out for a Wilkinson and the pickups for GFS surf 90s and a tusq nut. Relearning to play is keeping me busy and this was a great little guitar for the price.

Well there ya go! What works...Works!

• Members

I've got a satin cherry with p90s like gp2112. I wanted a TV Yellow one but they were gone in the first 5 minutes, so they say. Anyways, I freaking love it. I only bought it to yank the p90s out of it, but the sound, the neck and the feel 'just work'. It was certainly built to a price point, but it's a lot of damn guitar for $89. Instead of gutting it I plan to replace the nut (it's not cut 100% right) and the bridge with an intonatable wraparound. Everyone hates the tuners on these but mine must have been made on a Monday because they're fine.

Believe it or not, this guitar wrenched me away from a lifetime of Stratocaster Loyalty, and sent me on a quest for a "nice LP with p90s". I eventually got one, plus a nice Godin LGSP90, but I play this one the most. (The Gibson and Godin sure are nice though).

Archived