How I feel about metronomes though I need one...

Misha

• Members

An image is worth a thousand words!

I hate these things because I need 'em (... well at least one) too much!! I need to get tighter!

It's tough to practice with a metronome! I become frustrated, furious even!!

Am I the only one?

What do you do to practice rhythm? What works for you?

img_34661_zps08128a5b.jpg

• Members
I absolutely, unequivocally, love my metronome. It's just about the best drummer I ever played with for one thing. And as a teacher, it keeps me from trying to play things too fast before I'm ready.

For new songs, I'll start slow and stay slow until I can play the changes smoothly. Practicing songs I know, I'll turn it on at tempo, get in the pocket and groove knowing that, for sure, the metronome isn't wrong. .

I need to find a way to use a metronome that will work for me!

I'm looking on the web for exercices. I found an app for Android but it is not exactly what I was looking for. Maybe it will help me if I practice regularly, though!

• Members
^ I normally just tap my foot. When I'm playing with the praise band' date=' we have a drummer, plus everyone else has a decent sense of rhythm.[/quote']

Right now, I think I have an indecent non-sense of rhythm! :idk:

• Members
Playing with people who can keep a steady tempo is great. But if I can't play in time with a metronome, I'm never going to be one of those people who're so fun to play with. I look at metronomes as an opportunity to play with a super steady drummer every time I practice. When I'm playing in the pocket the click disappears anyway.

Another thing I'll do often is slow a song way down and then wrestle with the tendency to speed it up. It's humbling but beneficial. .

I'm looking at rhythm theory on the web. I'll practice the exercises I can find for at least a few minutes every day as much as I can. I need to discipline myself!

I think I should practice different rhythm patterns (8th note and 16th note patterns) with a metronome an increase the speed gradually. I could do that and practice scales at the same time.

I need to find a good PC or Android app to help me practice patterns easily. It's nice when I can hear how rhythm should sound instead of trying to autocorrect myself!

If I can't find anything, maybe I'll use Guitar Pro or Tux Guitar and redo each pattern with different chords.

• Members

I read an article a long time ago that stated practice with a metronome is six times more effective than practice without. I don't know how they came up with that figure, but I do believe practicing to a constant timekeeper is better.

Like you, I get tired of the metronome clicking. I recorded rhythm tracks to learn to play along with, and since they were sort of a lot of work to make, I put them on the web so others could use them.

You can play along with them, just follow the link in my signature.

They are for bluegrass, Irish, and old-time fiddle tunes. I like bluegrass, but even if you don't they make awesome etudes for learning how to play better in certain keys.

If you are in a different genre, I would recommend making rhythm tracks to practice with. Listen to a metronome or click track while you record the rhythm track so the beat is steady.

• Members

I listen to the melody, get a copy of the lyrics then fake it till I make it. Always been that way. If I can't get it down that way it's because I'm not all the way in. If I learn it well enough to record it I must like it (a lot). All through it all I've never used the metermaid. I'm alone, solo, and when so-marooned my timing is never off. Just ask me.

• Members

Just had a question regarding metronomes and people who use them.

When you (all) pick a song to learn or play isn't it firmly planted in your head, including meter, as you play to it mentally? I mean, one suggestion here of playing to the recording struck me as odd because I would think it's already playing in your head and leading you through it.

• Members
Just had a question regarding metronomes and people who use them.

When you (all) pick a song to learn or play isn't it firmly planted in your head, including meter, as you play to it mentally? ....

Nope ...

Can you do that with a song you have only heard a couple of times?

• Members
I read an article a long time ago that stated practice with a metronome is six times more effective than practice without. I don't know how they came up with that figure, but I do believe practicing to a constant timekeeper is better.

Like you, I get tired of the metronome clicking. I recorded rhythm tracks to learn to play along with, and since they were sort of a lot of work to make, I put them on the web so others could use them.

You can play along with them, just follow the link in my signature.

They are for bluegrass, Irish, and old-time fiddle tunes. I like bluegrass, but even if you don't they make awesome etudes for learning how to play better in certain keys.

If you are in a different genre, I would recommend making rhythm tracks to practice with. Listen to a metronome or click track while you record the rhythm track so the beat is steady.

Hi and thank you very much!

Nice site! It will help me!

• Members
I listen to the melody' date=' get a copy of the lyrics then fake it till I make it. Always been that way. If I can't get it down that way it's because I'm not all the way in. If I learn it well enough to record it I must like it (a lot). All through it all I've never used the metermaid. I'm alone, solo, and when so-marooned my timing is never off. Just ask me.[/quote']

I surprise myself and get - sometimes - faster than me! :idk:

• Members

Some people gave me an idea: instead of buying a drum machine or a multi-effects with built-in rhythm patterns maybe I could get a cheap keyboard !? I don't want to spend too much money on it, but I'll take a look!

• Members

I find practice with either a metronome or a simple drum track or click track fundamental for playing in an ensemble--and it's a good discipline for solo playing, too. A looper is also useful, but I tend to go there after working with a metronome first. Something about the spare sound forces me to focus my attention on locking into time. In fact, I should do it even more than I do now, which is mostly when I'm trying to learn a new flatpicking tune. I wish my drummers would do it more!

One thing I've found: I much prefer playing with a mechanical metronome to playing with a digital one or a click track. Something about following the sway of the pendulum feels more organic to me. I had one of these for years before losing it last summer:

https://store.fisherviolins.com/Wittner-Taktell-Super-Mini-Plastic-Black-p/wr886051.htm?gclid=CLn0sIrsyMMCFdcRgQoddboAVQ&Source=Google&utm_source=Google&Click=1212

I miss it. This thread reminds me I should replace it.

Louis

• Members
Some people gave me an idea: instead of buying a drum machine or a multi-effects with built-in rhythm patterns maybe I could get a cheap keyboard !? I don't want to spend too much money on it, but I'll take a look!

Here's a free online metronome:

http://www.metronomeonline.com/

Bet you could find a free app for your smartphone also :)

• Members

Nope ...

Can you do that with a song you have only heard a couple of times?

Pretty much. The key, meter and progression are sorted out within a couple minutes. Then it's a couple times through with the lyrics on a cheat sheet. Like jamesp mentions, though, I also like to have my way with songs. I think many people do this. As my Mom used to say - I sworny - Cold Play's Clocks is a progression also-ran of Bob Dylan's Lay Lady Lay, but we all know that Cold Play never plagiarized anything.

I usually don't have a vocal pitch problem with songs in their original key but I will transpose if I do. Everything else remains the same. I think ear development is a lot more important than playing skills, though. Everything becomes boiler plate after a while and, I hate to say it, pretty damned boring. That's why I'll change up the original songs or, fukitol, write something instead.

The trained ear thing blueprints the songs in my head but not so much lick-for-lick. It's more of a meter and progression "file" for the song and it just stays there after a couple listens.

• Members

Speaking as a drummer, the problem is one of indeterminate playing technique. There must be a couple hundred moving parts involved in playing guitar. If you haven't drilled past the latency involved, no amount of counting, foot tapping or that machine ticking away is gonna make any difference.

Archived